LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What is the deal???? Lost/Bummed!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 12:53 PM

the resistance of your coil should be very low not 8k ohms,they are not very expensive,I think I paid about 50 dollars for a msd coil from thunder racing.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by hghpwr
the resistance of your coil should be very low not 8k ohms,they are not very expensive,I think I paid about 50 dollars for a msd coil from thunder racing.
New coil was installed.....this was before the three codes were found on Monday.

What next fellasZ???,
Ivan
Old 01-22-2009, 07:24 AM

follow this link and go through the whole no start diagnostic. I have used it multiple times and it has always found the correct problem. Best of luck!

http://www.mainstreamtopics.com/foru...p?showtopic=78
Old 01-22-2009, 07:35 AM

In '96 an improved coil was put in, at least on the Caprice LT1 I am familiar with- it was used as an upgrade for older Caprice/Impalas, and yes, a different plug-

I would think that an ignition switch is a possibility- the run circuit and the crank circuit are different parts of the same switch- Can you hook up a hot-wire to the coil, and see if it will run that way? Might be a quick diagnostic test-

And, since there is no spark, you might have to start chasing down the one or two security systems that you have- either one could be disabling spark to prevent theft- Lastly, the circuit in the ignition switch that uses the 'pill' or resistor in the key- if that goes bad, again, no spark-

I would hook a jumper from the battery to the hot side of the coil, in effect, turning the ignition on, and see if it fire then-
Old 01-22-2009, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Wild *****
In '96 an improved coil was put in, at least on the Caprice LT1 I am familiar with- it was used as an upgrade for older Caprice/Impalas, and yes, a different plug-

I would think that an ignition switch is a possibility- the run circuit and the crank circuit are different parts of the same switch- Can you hook up a hot-wire to the coil, and see if it will run that way? Might be a quick diagnostic test-

And, since there is no spark, you might have to start chasing down the one or two security systems that you have- either one could be disabling spark to prevent theft- Lastly, the circuit in the ignition switch that uses the 'pill' or resistor in the key- if that goes bad, again, no spark-

I would hook a jumper from the battery to the hot side of the coil, in effect, turning the ignition on, and see if it fire then-
Dang *****...Graeat thinking. Just walked in the door from work and wsa ready to start ripping the column out.

If the Key resistance was incorrect wouldn't the "security" light come on???

I'll check that out as well and if no luck with the "jump" then....

..I'll be back.

Thanks,
Ivan
Old 01-24-2009, 11:08 AM

Are you alright?? LOL.... Haven't heard how it's going???