LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What do you guys think of these mods??

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 02:38 PM
Banned

how can u be mechanically retarted? its 12 bolts. people are just usually to scared to do crap. there isn't a whole hell of a lot of "know how" in this. just patience. open 12 bolts. take off exhuast manifold. put in headers. tighten 12 bolts.:blah:
Old 04-24-2003, 02:47 PM

I think he's talking about being mechanically retarded to the installation of the new cam. I'm kinda the same way. I would be fine installing the new headers myself, but I would want someone who knows what they are doing to do the cam. [or do it with me]
Old 04-24-2003, 02:55 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ttopz28
I think he's talking about being mechanically retarded to the installation of the new cam. I'm kinda the same way. I would be fine installing the new headers myself, but I would want someone who knows what they are doing to do the cam. [or do it with me]
i dont know about u guys, but michigan guys are CONSTANTLY helpign each other. We dont pay labor 'round here

90% of a cam install is EASY AS PIE.

the only things that might require expience is pulling/pushing the cam/ aligning the dots and putting the cover on... maybe opti too.

and the springs too if the heads are on the car.. but everything else is of monkey intelligence. once you get in there, its all 10x easier. its rough looking at it from the outside
Old 04-24-2003, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by StephenF04
One other things...it's not just the hot cam...it's the kit, it should give me about 30 to the wheels. Headers don't do that much do they?
Ummm....with a cat back...it's pretty close. I knocked almost 1/2 sec off my 1/4 time with intake, headers, and catback.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by TransAmGT
Ummm....with a cat back...it's pretty close. I knocked almost 1/2 sec off my 1/4 time with intake, headers, and catback.
Sweet. Some of you guys have said I should go with a bigger cam. In that case should I go ahead and do headers before the cam or hot cam kit. Then later get a bigger cam and order the things that come with the kit seperate? Also how can I do Hooker LT's and get by emissions?
Old 04-24-2003, 04:31 PM

I agree that you should do the install yourself. I think that monkeys are smarter than me on occasion but I still do all the install stuff myself (with help from people who know what they are doing) and this board has been absolutely invaluable with the help they can provide. If you get stuck or have a problem just ask and someone on the board will help you. They have saved my butt many times.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:56 PM

So basically considering I can't install (just trust me) paying 1150 for the hot cam kit (including install) is a waste of money? It would get me maybe 30 to the wheels. I think i'm gonna go ahead and order the SLP CAI. So...I have ordered 1. Hooker Cat-Back 2. will order SLP CAI 3. what next??
Old 04-24-2003, 05:06 PM

Get either the MAC midlength headers, Hooker shorties, or SLP shorties. If you have to worry about emissions then just get shorties and not deal with all that crap. Many people say the MAC's are the best, but I like the Hookers because they are well known for their headers, come ceramic coated(which is a must), and sound mean. I got them for $549 from Summit Racing. You can also go to www.ls1speed.com and check out the MAC's and the SLP's. Definitly get the headers before the cam. Do some research on cams before you jump into one.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by LimitedEd1LE
Get either the MAC midlength headers, Hooker shorties, or SLP shorties. If you have to worry about emissions then just get shorties and not deal with all that crap. Many people say the MAC's are the best, but I like the Hookers because they are well known for their headers, come ceramic coated(which is a must), and sound mean. I got them for $549 from Summit Racing. You can also go to www.ls1speed.com and check out the MAC's and the SLP's. Definitly get the headers before the cam. Do some research on cams before you jump into one.
If I do headers, do you still have to get a y pipe or is the stock one sufficient? Also wouldn't the Hooker shorties kill power if I did or when I do go with a cam? Also does Header make a Mid-Length?
Old 04-24-2003, 08:05 PM
L44

To answer you, if you mean hooker midlengths im pretty sure they only made short an long for the 4th gen, could be wrong though, just b/c i never seen them dont mean they arent out there someplace. If you get longtubes your gonna need a diff Y pipe....or jus go true duals or somethin assuming you dont need to worry about emissions get an X or H pipe fab'd
Old 04-24-2003, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by BIGKerneL44
To answer you, if you mean hooker midlengths im pretty sure they only made short an long for the 4th gen, could be wrong though, just b/c i never seen them dont mean they arent out there someplace. If you get longtubes your gonna need a diff Y pipe....or jus go true duals or somethin assuming you dont need to worry about emissions get an X or H pipe fab'd
So if I got midlength or shorties I could run the stock Y pipe? Would I want to do that?
Old 04-24-2003, 09:22 PM

O.K. here is my .02...... Get your 1. cat back, 2. CAI, 3. FLP Long tubes (that are emmision legal) and install everything yourself for the $1700 or so. You may have to pay a muffler shop to do some welding but that shouldn't cost to much. I believe the flp's come with a y pipe and cats for all the emmisions plus a test pipe for the track!

That way you can go with a bigger cam later down the road and don't have to worry about the shorties holding anything back. You will still probably see the same gain at the track as you would with your first route.

-Jon
Old 04-24-2003, 09:33 PM

Only problem is how much the FLP's are. And there's NOOO way I can do install I just don't have any experience trust me. So that's just too much right now. I again have ordered the Hooker Cat-back, and will order the SLP CAI. I have money left...but just stuck as to what I should do next.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:56 PM

Ok as far as the FLP headers, they cost $1,249.99. Thats a pretty big chunk of cash for some headers. In my opinion I would go with some good shorty headers since you have to deal with emissions. Yes you can pass the sniffer test with the FLP's, but you will not pass the visual test. The Hooker, MAC, SLP, and many more all come with a high-flow y-pipe. So you can junk the stock one.