LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What do you think of these flow numbers

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 11:05 AM
Banned

Re: What do you think of these flow numbers

The 220cc Pro Top Line heads they port flow 320cfm.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...PcY_BIN_Stores
The LS1 Heads Flow 330cfm
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33617

BTW the stage 2 "race ported" heads flow 280cfm with a 1.94" valve....

If the LT1 and LS1 heads really flowed this well then they wouldn't need to be putting hem on ebay. Some of the best head porters in the country can't get 280cfm out of a 1.94" valve. My guess is that they take the intake rocker studs out and the spark plugs out and flow them at like 36" to get these numbers.

Bret
Old 09-01-2004, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
The 220cc Pro Top Line heads they port flow 320cfm.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...PcY_BIN_Stores
The LS1 Heads Flow 330cfm
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33617

BTW the stage 2 "race ported" heads flow 280cfm with a 1.94" valve....

If the LT1 and LS1 heads really flowed this well then they wouldn't need to be putting hem on ebay. Some of the best head porters in the country can't get 280cfm out of a 1.94" valve. My guess is that they take the intake rocker studs out and the spark plugs out and flow them at like 36" to get these numbers.

Bret
Just a little bit of numbers massaging eh??
Old 09-01-2004, 10:26 PM

Just look at the low lift #'s and you can see the bench is jacked up or they are tresting with a leak.

Anyone that has tested many heads at low lift will tell you that it is tough to get over 37/28 cfm at .050, 68/54 cfm at .100, 105/79 cfm at .150, 140/105 at .200 lift, etc., etc.

Lloyd Elliott
NightTrain66@msn.com
Old 09-02-2004, 01:08 AM

To Whom It My Concern:

First off, I'm not knocking anyone's opinion here, but the flow numbers posted on all VPE Inc. heads are what they are, not inflated or massaged. All heads are flowed on a in house Super Flow Pro Bench 1020 with all the latest technology. I know I'm one of the best headporters, I'm a Engineer and graduate specializing in fluid dynamics, hydrology, I've been in this business for 15 years and decided to branch out on my own after doing numous amounts of head porting for local customers,Hansen Racing, one Bammann Racing customer & J & E Performance customer who will vouch and stand by my VPE Inc. headwork. The reason why I started to offer my discounted ported heads on EBay is to get my work out across the country and expand my business. If you notice on all my auctions I list my shop number for anyone with any questions or doubts so that I can meet their needs personally. I stand behind all my work and take pride in what I do, this is a form of artwork that most of you can not do or understand, nor would you take the amount of time and skill that goes into a set of VPE Inc. heads. As for scanning my portwork, I already have scannings of my portwork, this is why I offer customers CNC also.
OK, now I'm going to explain why I can obtain the flow numbers that I do compared to other companies that offer a basic performance ported head. For one, the amount of time that goes into preparing a set is not an issue rather the results of the final product is, regardless of what the hourly rate is, we put out a better product at a reasonable price. The work that went into our stage 3 head is a careful and tedious approach that we utilize almost 100% of the port, not hogged out and lazy like others, ours are extremely efficient, we also removed the seats and replaced them with our custom seats to accompany the larger valves with extensive removal of material beneath the seats to get the flow we were looking to achieve. There is allot more I can get out of them, those are not the highest flow numbers I've produced. Its not hard for me to get some really impressive numbers when just about all my work consists of all out heads up competition portwork, I'm not stuck in the street performance market only like most of you. That's why when I started hearing about people badmouthing when they have no background in this field other then reading magazines and message boards I get really offended, and further more those who are unqualified at properly flow testing or even 99% of the people on here who have no clue on the procedures of flowtesting. Each of my tests are calibrated, checked numerous times back to back and basedlined for before and after comparisons.

All those saying its not possible are those who haven't any hands on experirance in head porting or knowledge in this field.
As I stated before I will take the time to personally answer any questions or doubts anyone might have on how we can & do the impossible. 732-237-9592

I am also willing to put an offer out here for one, local, respected & qualified member on this board to have your heads done by VPE Inc. FREE to prove our product is simply far superior then most other headporters.

Thanks & Have a great day,
Tony Vitale
Owner/President VPE Inc.
Dee Vitale
Vise President VPE Inc.
www.vperacing.net

Last edited by BadPrincess; 09-02-2004 at 01:11 AM.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:42 AM

Re: To Whom It My Concern:

Originally Posted by BadPrincess
First off, I'm not knocking anyone's opinion here, but the flow numbers posted on all VPE Inc. heads are what they are, not inflated or massaged. All heads are flowed on a in house Super Flow Pro Bench 1020 with all the latest technology. I know I'm one of the best headporters, I'm a Engineer and graduate specializing in fluid dynamics, hydrology, I've been in this business for 15 years and decided to branch out on my own after doing numous amounts of head porting for local customers,Hansen Racing, one Bammann Racing customer & J & E Performance customer who will vouch and stand by my VPE Inc. headwork. The reason why I started to offer my discounted ported heads on EBay is to get my work out across the country and expand my business. If you notice on all my auctions I list my shop number for anyone with any questions or doubts so that I can meet their needs personally. I stand behind all my work and take pride in what I do, this is a form of artwork that most of you can not do or understand, nor would you take the amount of time and skill that goes into a set of VPE Inc. heads. As for scanning my portwork, I already have scannings of my portwork, this is why I offer customers CNC also.
OK, now I'm going to explain why I can obtain the flow numbers that I do compared to other companies that offer a basic performance ported head. For one, the amount of time that goes into preparing a set is not an issue rather the results of the final product is, regardless of what the hourly rate is, we put out a better product at a reasonable price. The work that went into our stage 3 head is a careful and tedious approach that we utilize almost 100% of the port, not hogged out and lazy like others, ours are extremely efficient, we also removed the seats and replaced them with our custom seats to accompany the larger valves with extensive removal of material beneath the seats to get the flow we were looking to achieve. There is allot more I can get out of them, those are not the highest flow numbers I've produced. Its not hard for me to get some really impressive numbers when just about all my work consists of all out heads up competition portwork, I'm not stuck in the street performance market only like most of you. That's why when I started hearing about people badmouthing when they have no background in this field other then reading magazines and message boards I get really offended, and further more those who are unqualified at properly flow testing or even 99% of the people on here who have no clue on the procedures of flowtesting. Each of my tests are calibrated, checked numerous times back to back and basedlined for before and after comparisons.

All those saying its not possible are those who haven't any hands on experirance in head porting or knowledge in this field.
As I stated before I will take the time to personally answer any questions or doubts anyone might have on how we can & do the impossible. 732-237-9592

I am also willing to put an offer out here for one, local, respected & qualified member on this board to have your heads done by VPE Inc. FREE to prove our product is simply far superior then most other headporters.

Tony Vitale
Owner/President VPE Inc.
Dee Vitale
Vise President VPE Inc.
www.vperacing.net
I'll take the free heads and then compare the dyno/track times to my LE heads. Let me know, just PM me.

EDIT: I shot you a PM already.

Also, can you show what a stock head flows on your bench. Thanks.

Last edited by 1982z28with18s; 09-02-2004 at 01:51 AM.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:42 AM

Re: To Whom It My Concern:

Originally Posted by BadPrincess

Tony Vitale
Owner/President VPE Inc.
Dee Vitale
Vise President VPE Inc.
www.vperacing.net

Try to understand it from most people's points of view here. Typically seeing the numbers coming out of shops pretty much everywhere on a daily basis, with even the best of the best not showing close to what your shop does, then suddenly someone pops up with almost outlandish numbers. Makes it kind of hard to believe.

Couple of questions. What size bore do you flow the heads with??? Pipe or no pipe on the exhaust side?? Do you test the swirl on the heads, or any kind of velocity check??? Have you tested an unported LT1 casting for a comparison basis???
Old 09-02-2004, 07:47 AM

I will make an offer as well. I will pay Next Day Air shipping both ways on one of your heads to be sent to a 3rd party for flow testing. I am sure between Bauer Racing Engines, Advanced Induction and Combination Motor Sports someone would be willing to do the 3rd part flow testing and be able to ship them back the next day for you.

As I mentioned, I will foot the shipping bill and if they flow within a few CFM of your claimed #'s (low and mid lift especially, I could care less about flow above .550 lift), I will purchase a set as well.

I am not knocking the work and they will probably make great power but as you mentioned, the flow #'s seem to be WAY better than anything I have ever achieved. You might actually be THAT much better at porting LT1's or our flow benches might be a lil "different" as well. Only one way to know.

Lloyd Elliott
972-617-5671
NightTrain66@msn.com
Old 09-02-2004, 08:34 AM

Thumbs up Re: What do you think of these flow numbers

Originally Posted by NightTrain66
I will make an offer as well. I will pay Next Day Air shipping both ways on one of your heads to be sent to a 3rd party for flow testing. I am sure between Bauer Racing Engines, Advanced Induction and Combination Motor Sports someone would be willing to do the 3rd part flow testing and be able to ship them back the next day for you.
Excellent offer Lloyd. I'll gladly flow a set on the bench here at Thunder (SuperFlow 1020). What are the runner volumes on these heads?
Steve...
Old 09-02-2004, 08:59 AM

[/email]

sounds like a fair deal.............will you step up to the plate tony?
Old 09-02-2004, 10:57 AM

As I mentioned, I will foot the shipping bill and if they flow within a few CFM of your claimed #'s (low and mid lift especially, I could care less about flow above .550 lift), I will purchase a set as well.

I am not knocking the work and they will probably make great power but as you mentioned, the flow #'s seem to be WAY better than anything I have ever achieved. You might actually be THAT much better at porting LT1's or our flow benches might be a lil "different" as well. Only one way to know.

Lloyd Elliott
972-617-5671
NightTrain66@msn.com
If he sends me the heads then I can flow them locally also. I flowed Lloyds locally and they were almost 100% identical to the #'s he gave me.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:21 AM
Ai

Though I'm rarely online much anymore, someone asked me to check this out...

As most everyone on here knows... I don't even like to talk about flow numbers because of how so many shops present them. For some background & a comparison regarding how my bench flows vs. others, everyone claims 275-285cfm from an lt1 with a 2.00" valve. Though it's more than possible, I have never had anyone else's "275cfm" LT1 flow any more than 261cfm @ 28" H20 on my industry standard SF600. No tricks, that's just a 4.030" bore with a cnc brzezinski half inch inlet plate etc. My bench is also fully computer controlled, so there's no letting the depression creep up to boost the #'s either.

Now on to this post... Awhile back I started this thread: http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240291

I got some response to it, but not a ton, and most people who inquired about it usually either didn't even need it, or didn't have the budget to do it, so I never mentioned anything on it again.

Is 300cfm possible out of an LT1 head with NO welding, NO epoxy, NO valve position or angle revisions, and NO relocating a standard FelPro LT1 intake gasket? Yes. Is the head in question retaining all of these restrictions? I don't know. Is there "alot" left in the port? No IMO, and that's simple to calculate since this is basic flow through an orifice - you can't defy the laws of physics

I'm not saying this to defend this guy, or to give him a hard time, just to inform. I knew if I posted my #'s people would likely react in much the same way after I saw the "220cfm" LT1 exhaust thread. Also, we have some pretty exciting CNC products coming out shortly that we'll have ready for fall. One of those is an AFR based head that outflows their most expensive/best 210cc "Competition" CNC head by 20-30cfm across the board. Along with that will be a CNC lt1 unlike anything most anyone known has been able to produce in regards to accurately duplicating the master, and it will move enough air to feed over 550hp NA. Considering what that will cost and what it would cost for us to duplicate the race LT1's, I honestly didn't think many people would be interested in the LT1's. When he says most street oriented shops are vastly different from race oriented shops like us, he's 100% correct. Being able to apply what we've learned in racing is why we have been able to do so well with the street products. Of course that's also partly why we don't like to talk about flow numbers, because next week everyone will be claiming 290+cfm for their LT1's now & no one still asks about MCA, discharge coefficients, etc. - all most want are peak flow #'s.

While I won't release a full flow chart, here's a few pictures so everyone knows I'm serious.
http://www.advancedinduction.com/Flo...-RaceLT1-1.jpg
This is a picture showing the head on my bench and mainly my FlowCom, so you can see it zeroed with the green motor control button turned off.

http://www.advancedinduction.com/Flo...-RaceLT1-2.jpg
In this picture you can see the stock guides are still in the head, its an LT1, there is NO welding or epoxy of any kind, and there is a spark plug in the head .

http://www.advancedinduction.com/Flo...-RaceLT1-3.jpg
Here is a shot of the FlowCom readout as it was actually running, showing the depression (under 28"). Ignore the FPS readout as my pitot tube was capped off & not being used.

http://www.advancedinduction.com/Flo...-RaceLT1-4.jpg
Lastly is a picture of my PortFlowAnalyzer Pro software & the data it captured. You can clearly see percent scale, test conditions etc. I do have some info covered up, as I don't want to disclose low lift & what it actually peaks at, but that should be enough to surmise that the answer is "alot." I'd offer anyone in the Charlotte, NC area the opportunity to come out, check out the head, and watch me flow test it, but it's about to be shipped out to my mentor for him to check out, as the best he's ever gotten was high 290's.

If we were to make some compromises regarding longevity & push the casting until it was paper thin, then sure we could get more airflow through it. Right now however we're looking at more than enough air to support 600hp+ however, so I don't see the point in producing something I'd feel was unsafe.

Again, I have no idea who this person is, and I'm not speaking out for or against him, simply trying to help explain a few things. One other consideration is that the 1020's are calibrated at a different depression than the 600 benches, and the numbers on each will not match because of the correction factors to output standard 28" numbers.

Fred, I hope you're right, I'd be doing $3000 LT1's all day long .

Hope this helps guys

-Phil
Old 09-02-2004, 12:15 PM

Subscribing...
Old 09-02-2004, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by RealQuick
Subscribing...
Me too!
Old 09-02-2004, 12:48 PM

Subscribing as well. Has anyone heard back or called VPE racing per their response?

-Christian
Old 09-02-2004, 12:53 PM

This should be good By the way, you can subscribe at the top by clicking 'thread tools'...

Quick Reply: What do you think of these flow numbers