LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What does the Shiny metal (computer) box under the dash do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 01:25 AM

What does the Shiny metal (computer) box under the dash do?

Well, we plan on putting a lt1 out of a 93 z28 into a thirdgen. My cousin just got the donor car recently and I was looking at stuff and we were wondering what this box is. It is on the passenger side. It appears to have wires running to the aldl connector and under the carpet possibly to transmission or shifter(t56). What all functions does this box have. Is it necisarry for the motor to run or for the gauges or what?

Also, I am buying an LT1 out of a 94 Impala. It appears to have pretty much everything from under the hood from the intake to sensors to wiring to exhaust polution controls fuel delivery brackets and accessories. I dont think it has this part of the harness from inside the car though. Will I need this stuff or can I make everything work without it?

Thanks

Ben
Old 02-23-2003, 01:30 AM

My best guess is its something to do with the airbag system. Are any of the wires bright yellow or orange?
Old 02-23-2003, 01:34 AM

Well, I know that a large bundle of wires from it seemed to go to the ALDL but I couldnt guarantee it. I will look at the color sometime when I go back over there if no one know what it is for otherwise. Also, I dont know about the newer cars but I thought that at least in some of the older cars(thirdgens for example) that the orange wires were power so what would that have to do with airbags?

Ben
Old 02-23-2003, 02:00 AM

On my car all the bright yellow (or orange, cant remember) wires are for the airbag system. The airbag system also ties in to the ALDL (for checking error codes) and there is a crash sensor for it under the center console on the early 4th gens.
Old 02-23-2003, 02:07 AM

Ok, well I will check it out when I get a chance. I hope you are right because I dont have that stuff for mine. If anyone knows what this is for sure could you let me know.

Ben
Old 02-23-2003, 01:15 PM

And what is a bcm?

Ben
Old 02-23-2003, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by Momar
And what is a bcm?

Ben
BCM=Body Control Module and a 1993 does not have one. BCMs are in the 1996 and up.

When you go back to look at it, note what color and how many wires go to it and exactly where it is attached.
Old 02-23-2003, 01:57 PM

What do you mean by exactly where it is attached. If you mean where do the wires go, they went out in a bundle and then some split off of that bundle and went under the carpet at the driveshaft tunnel, and some continued to the ALDL and that was all I could see. I also cant say that there wasnt more wires under the dash that merged with this or left it but thats all I know till I can go back to look at it.

Ben
Old 02-23-2003, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by Momar
What do you mean by exactly where it is attached. If you mean where do the wires go, they went out in a bundle and then some split off of that bundle and went under the carpet at the driveshaft tunnel, and some continued to the ALDL and that was all I could see. I also cant say that there wasnt more wires under the dash that merged with this or left it but thats all I know till I can go back to look at it.

Ben
The shiny metal box. Where is it attached to the dash?
Old 02-23-2003, 02:26 PM

Oh, it is inside the lower passenger side of the dash. The glove box is not in the dash and you can see it through where it would have been I believe.

Ben
Old 02-23-2003, 02:42 PM

Hey Shoebox, I just looked at that link in your sig and it has some awsome stuff. I think it will be quite helpfull.

Ben
Old 02-23-2003, 11:42 PM

ttt
Old 02-27-2003, 10:05 PM

could it be the EBCM electronic brake control module?
Old 02-27-2003, 10:09 PM

or you could just the the part# off it and punch it up in a GM parts locator. not sure if it would be on GMPartsdirect.com
Old 02-27-2003, 10:12 PM

I talked to a guy that has done the swap, and he said he didnt need any of the stuff like that out of the inside of his 93 donor car but I may check on the part number just because I am curious.

Ben

Quick Reply: What does the Shiny metal (computer) box under the dash do?