LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

what exhuast is a step before the loud mouth? (Loudness)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 06:03 PM

Talking what exhuast is a step before the loud mouth? (Loudness)

talking about LOUD i heard one in person for the first time today it's a friend of a friends m6 LT1. he said he had slp cai ,hooker lt's , and a loud mouth with y-pipes and thats all it took to make that thing scream! it is pretty nice sounding but probably a litle to noisy for where i live and these people around here will report it to the police .
im hoping to get my m6 Z28 right b4 the summer and was wondering whats the next loudest thing? i probably wont have that much money after i get the car so i'll probably get a cai and cut-out till i can afford an exhaust system, and i was wondering with the cut-out open how loud is it? is it anything comparable to the loudmouth? oh yeah and when i have my cut-out open wouldnt i gain like 1-2 mpg or sumthing like that since my car is breathing easier (ie: no exhaust)?

well thanks for any help

Last edited by civic_hunter; 02-27-2003 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:06 PM

slp 2otl
Old 02-27-2003, 06:16 PM

I'd go with the borla, it's adjustable and will probably be your best bet. Any mufflered exhaust will be quite a bit tamer than the loudmouth.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:20 PM

Stay away from Borla. Not only will it cost you an arm and a leg, but you can get a better bang for the buck.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:29 PM

Honestly you get what you pay for, I don't think you'll find any other exhaust out there that is adjustable. And on the cheaper exhausts you usually get crappy tips and aluminized piping not stainless. I was never a fan of paying $600 for an exhaust until my buddy got his and I was impressed. I think it's money well spent.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:01 PM

your right! im not going to buy a cheap exhast , thats why im going to get a cut-out till i can afford a well-know exhaust. so like i said is the cut-out that much louder than the loudmouth? how is the borlas tone change? what borla system do you reccomend?
Old 02-27-2003, 07:28 PM

You could get the loudmouth and keep cats (I didn't see that in your description of his exhaust). That should quieten it some. You can also get a $30 bullet muffler to replace the resonater.

I switched from the Borla catback with a DMH electric valve(a must have with the Borla). The loudmouth was way way louder than the Borla I had with the valve wide open. Got a 16" bullet and it toned it down considerably, but I have dual cats with my longtubes.

Last edited by Red 97T/A A4; 03-04-2003 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:29 PM

hey thanx Red 97T/A A4! i never thought of that, looks like i will be getting a loudmouth when i get my car afterall. but im not sure if he had cats or not? guess i gotta find that out now

Last edited by civic_hunter; 02-27-2003 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:43 PM

The cutout sounds just like a loudmouth to me and the hp gains are about the same. The loudmouth has some very nice tips too with the SLP etched logo on them.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:45 PM

The cutout would be louder than the loudmouth a little bit and would give you a couple more ponies just cause it doesnt have to flow through a muffler. But the cutout would not be as loud as your friends cause longtubes make a big difference. If i had the money for a borla i probably would have got it because they do sound very nice.

Chris
Old 02-28-2003, 02:07 AM

thanx for the information you guys! havent let me down yet
Old 02-28-2003, 09:37 AM

borla rocks, it fits great, and will last...
Old 02-28-2003, 10:00 AM

Check out the Dynomouth! I have heard good things about that one. It is essentially the same as the loudmouth, but A LOT cheaper. Do a search and you will find it.
Old 02-28-2003, 10:32 AM

Re: what exhuast is a step before the loud mouth? (Loudness)

Originally posted by civic_hunter
talking about LOUD i heard one in person for the first time today it's a friend of a friends m6 LT1. he said he had slp cai ,hooker lt's , and a loud mouth with y-pipes and thats all it took to make that thing scream! it is pretty nice sounding but probably a litle to noisy for where i live and these people around here will report it to the police .
im hoping to get my m6 Z28 right b4 the summer and was wondering whats the next loudest thing? i probably wont have that much money after i get the car so i'll probably get a cai and cut-out till i can afford an exhaust system, and i was wondering with the cut-out open how loud is it? is it anything comparable to the loudmouth? oh yeah and when i have my cut-out open wouldnt i gain like 1-2 mpg or sumthing like that since my car is breathing easier (ie: no exhaust)?

well thanks for any help
SLP Loudmouth with cats and replace the resonator with a Dynomax bullet muffler. It'll be plenty loud, but it wont stink as bad and it wont get nasty at part throttle (by comparison).
Old 02-28-2003, 10:35 AM

i would go with the loudmouth. thats what i got just leave the cats on and you will be fine. i've had mine on for a couple for 2 years and havent had any trouble with police...yet

Quick Reply: what exhuast is a step before the loud mouth? (Loudness)