LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 08:55 PM

Re: What to expect?

well, after reading the LE2 stuff on lloyd elliots site, i think i'll end up going w/ the LE2 setup. Would it be alright to run a cc306 cam on it until i can afford a custom grind, or should i just get the actual LE2 cam?

Also, since the LE2 heads come w/ springs n such, should i just go w/ those or see if he would sell w/o the springs n such and use the ones i have picked out?
Old 10-05-2006, 08:58 PM

I would email him your questions directly...He'll let you know what you can/should do...He frequents this site and is a sponsor...

--Alan
Old 10-05-2006, 09:37 PM

Weight is everything man....get that pig on a diet and you will see 11's w/ that set-up no problem on a sticky tire. Stock suspension is fine...i see stocker hit those numbers all day long...just its an added bonus and will get you there easier
Old 10-05-2006, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

If your in Highschool, I would go spending all my cash on a car... unless you've got it made like that. Just pick up a cam and some rockers and call it a day. Good fun for under 1K.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:02 PM

well, the project with everything listed should only take a year. I make about 8k/year which isnt bad for a part time job
Old 10-06-2006, 10:09 PM

First off, your in High School, so you will probably do whatever you want to do anyways, no matter what everyone else tells you.

But, take your stock heads, have LE port them, and get Bret Bauer to grind you a cam instead. You can get a cam that will make better power and better driveabiltiy that a CC306. And you dont need that rev kit. Get rid of that thing.

With those mods, honestly, I wouldnt expect any more than 370RWHP, and no more than a 12.4 or 12.5.

The heads give next to nothing. Look up what a full bolt on, cam only, car is doing, then add yourself a couple 10ths for the heads, and subtract about half a second because no one is a good driver in high school lol.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:26 PM

[QUOTE=HardcoreRM125]

The heads give next to nothing. Look up what a full bolt on, cam only, car is doing, then add yourself a couple 10ths for the heads, and subtract about half a second because no one is a good driver in high school lol.[/QUOTE]

i actually do junior drags....im a good driver. Used to do circle track for 2 years also But my friend has a cc306 cam, stock heads, i/h/e, shift kit, anda 2800 stall and is running a 12.06 1/4 w/ MT drag radials, so why would u think mine would be slower w/ all the same stuff except bored out and slightly higher comp.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:53 AM

Why is everybody so hell bent against Edelbrock heads? They have thicker decks, more material to port, smaller combustion chambers, hand blended bowls, .600 lift springs, stainless back cut valves, highly improved exhaust flow, larger exhaust valves, and they are under 1000 bucks. You sell your original castings for 250, now you are down to 750 for a brand new set of heads that outflows the stock ones, and are ready for even more improvements than the stock ones can support. Does anyone have any real world evidence or dyno comparisons or anything to support these claims?
Old 10-07-2006, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Edelbrock claims they are good for 24HP over stock. Out of the box they are not all that much different than stock. Yes... some improvements, and you can do more to them, but that doesn't appear to be what the original poster has in mind. He's expecting to bolt a set of out-of-the-box Edelbrocks on the engine and make a significant amount of HP with them. Isn't likely to happen.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:35 AM

To get off of heads for a second, ditch the Hydra-Rev kit. It won't accomplish anything. Come to think of it, the $$$ you save there could be put into the heads!

Rich
Old 10-07-2006, 09:36 AM

Seems a lil high on the power goal side to me. With my setup I should be able to get to the 360 ish area with a better tune, I think you would be in that area.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Edelbrock claims they are good for 24HP over stock. Out of the box they are not all that much different than stock. Yes... some improvements, and you can do more to them, but that doesn't appear to be what the original poster has in mind. He's expecting to bolt a set of out-of-the-box Edelbrocks on the engine and make a significant amount of HP with them. Isn't likely to happen.
That's exactly right. They are a "replacement head" that has alot of small improvements over a stock head. Really, after all you get after selling your old castings, they look like a heck of a deal to me. I agree that the small 170cc intake runner is definitely going to have its limits and they are not the choice for people going for probably 380 or more RWHP. I haven't seen a pair but I have a really hard time believing that a company as big as Edelbrock would go through all of the expense of developing a head that would fall short of the performance levels of the heads they are supposed to replace. It's rather obvious that Edelbrock knows about the stigma attached to their heads and it's apparent with the teaming up with Chapman, Roush, and other known engine names to help their cylinder head developement. They also happen to offer the ONLY aftermarket heads for many engines. Anything I have ever got from Edelbrock was good quality stuff from their carbs to their intakes. I'm just not so quick to jump on the Edelbrock bashwagon before I see some real world data. Then, I will shut up.

Last edited by chrism400; 10-07-2006 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by rskrause
To get off of heads for a second, ditch the Hydra-Rev kit. It won't accomplish anything. Come to think of it, the $$$ you save there could be put into the heads!

Rich
Rich, the hydra-rev kit gave me about 250 rpms but that was with 130 lb springs. I agree that you can use the money somewhere else, and just get better springs than I had.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:38 PM

Seeing how people are getting 500 hp (400-430 rwhp) from ported stock castings, I can't really see spending the extra cash to buy a "replacement" set of heads and then more cash to have them ported and upgraded. If I were to go that route, I would seriously consider converting a traditional small block head (brodix 18x or track 1 or equivalent) to work on the LT1.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:09 PM

I think many of you are buying into the marketting a bit too much and missing the fact they come right out and tell you they make that slight amount more power than stockers but have been mildly ported to do so, let me repeat that, HAVE SOME PORTING WORK DONE to get that slight improvement. An objective person then has to wonder what would a stock head do with an equal amount of porting, or what would these do without the factory port job????? Once you think about that for a seond you should see why NOBODY particularly knowldgable about the LT1 pushes them.

Futher proof is their own claims of UNDER 400Fwhp from the full kit, the average ported heads and cammed LT1 makes more than that with a lot of the AI or LE stuff being well over 450fwhp.

Quick Reply: What to expect?