What to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Re: What to expect?

you'll shoot yer eye out kid.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:40 PM

Hahah ok well SOME are good drivers, but im sure you see how your friends are ...

And seriously, get rid of the hydrarev.

The elelbrock heads basiaclly dony do much to buy and bolt on. But they give you a little more room for porting. So if you sent them to LE, he may be able to do something with them, to make them a little better than a ported stock casting but ... I say its an extra 1000$ better spent to LE and Bret
Old 10-07-2006, 09:42 PM

Oh whatever people. Again, no facts to back up anything. Let's look at a good engine shop like Golen for instance:

These are prices per pair:

Oven Clean, Shot Blast & Mag Heads 60.00
Three angle Valve Job, blend bowls 190.00
Deck Head up to .010" cut 80.00
Install New Guides V-8 Heads (16 guides) 120.00
Bowl Port & Gasket match V-8 Heads 350.00
Assemble v-8 heads and set up spring heights 80.00
machine for larger springs 40.00

springs 90.00
retainers 50.00
locks 20.00
Valves 190.00
(Cmotorsports prices)

Grand Total: 1270.00
The extra 500 for a fully ported set from Lloyd, AI, Lingenfelter, or others is a good deal then. Now anyone I hope can see that the Edelbrock heads for a replacement head that has all of these upgrades after selling your old heads to someone for 250 and ending up only a 750.00 outlay of cash is a deal. Plain and simple. Can you make 380 RWHP with them? I should think so.

What's this about getting caught up in marketing? The Edelbrock claims seem to be very modest in my opinion, and are probably worth more in a medium performance application. Again, I don't know, and neither does anyone else it seems. Let's hear from someone who has a set.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:23 PM

Here's my view......For a guy with NO current heads worth using.... or someone who dosn't want big performance or all the hassle to having heads done up(few week downtime)........the edelbrock heads are an "ok" material quality replacement(but "far" from an upgrade)......but for a guy with current undamaged good casting LT1 heads, you'd be 1000 times happier with the resuls from getting the LE2 heads like mentioned............A buddy of mine (and his hair brain father who could be told no different)...bought the Edelbrock heads for his LT1 corvette soon after they first came out on the market.......even after a good mail order tune, and over 1500 dollars worth of labor to have his trusted shop put them on...there was almost ZERO improvement over the stock casting LT1 heads......1/2 mile per hour in the quarter mile was his gain....and I bet that that alone came from the mail order tune, and on top of it ,it was slightly cooler out than his previous track visit......Although it was alot of fun saying "I told ya so"....matter a fact, it was probably one of the better "told ya so" comments I got to make in the last few years LOL.........Joe

Last edited by Joe B; 10-07-2006 at 11:36 PM.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:36 PM
Administrator

OK... I'll accept the Edelbrocks are great heads.... IF someone can provide some data - other than "I haven't seen a pair but I have a really hard time believing that a company as big as Edelbrock would go through all of the expense of developing a head that would fall short of the performance levels of the heads they are supposed to replace." And you fault us for having no data to back up our opinions
Old 10-07-2006, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
OK... I'll accept the Edelbrocks are great heads.... IF someone can provide some data - other than "I haven't seen a pair but I have a really hard time believing that a company as big as Edelbrock would go through all of the expense of developing a head that would fall short of the performance levels of the heads they are supposed to replace." And you fault us for having no data to back up our opinions
Yea, they're GREAT .....just like the multi-billion dollar mega empires walmart and Mcdonalds have the best clothes, and the best quality food ..........
Old 10-08-2006, 01:11 AM

well guys, i have completely scrapped my motor plans
Gonna go with a victoryracing 383 w/ forged internals and the LE2 heads and a custom grind cam. Figure might as well do it right the 1st time
Old 10-08-2006, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member

How many people on this board run edelbrock heads again???? The only post I remember about people who actually own them and had them installed all have them as being sorry they brought them.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:09 AM

Heatmaker......(I believe)This is what Injuneer was saying as well
Old 10-08-2006, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by reamo04
well guys, i have completely scrapped my motor plans
Gonna go with a victoryracing 383 w/ forged internals and the LE2 heads and a custom grind cam. Figure might as well do it right the 1st time
Now that's a plan .......But what about putting a Procharger on top of it, and mabe a small bottle to cool the intake charge a bit more Ha Ha J/K ...good luck with it..................Joe
Old 10-08-2006, 07:51 AM

As I said you need to look no further than Edelbrocks published info to prove they are a joke. As I said they publishunder 400fwhp for the full kit. They claim 76hp gain over stock Vette engine with a fine print note about addition of 1 3/4 headers. I do not think it a stretch to wonder if the stock Vette engine was tested on stock tuning we all know leaves room for improvement and stock manifolds. You know their setup was fully tuned as it should have been.

I think most of us here will agree that if we only got say 60rwhp(76fwhp) from a heads cam swap we would be disappointed. I got a lot more than that going to the AI setup keeping the same heads but also starting from a ZZ4 cam which is a decent upgrade from stock already.

Far as lack of public feedback I will say there is little and what little there is is mostly from newbies who are not yet knowledgable enough to get the most out of any combo. It is that lack of knowledge that leads them to buy this kit though. Those of us with more experiqnce arenot willing to take that gamble on something with such sad numbers published by marketting, usually marketting deparments stretch the truth to look better than reality, if this is all they came up with that is really sad.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:59 AM

[QUOTE=Injuneer]OK... I'll accept the Edelbrocks are great heads.... /QUOTE]

LOL. I'd say they are a great alternative to just getting a stock set of castings freshened up. 750 or 1200, I'd probably go with the 750 myself. I ended up getting a set of Lingenfelter CNC's after all was said and done. If I were just going to build a medium performance motor, I would have tried the Edelbrock heads for sure. I just don't understand why people jump on bandwagons with no real data to support why. I prefer to think for myself.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:46 AM

maybe its not what you wanna hear, but on a high school ( Or college ) budget, you almost cant go wrong with a n20 set up.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:57 AM
Administrator

[QUOTE=chrism400]
I just don't understand why people jump on bandwagons with no real data to support why. I prefer to think for myself.
Always a good idea to think for yourself, but don't condemn or ridicule people who use their knowledge and thought processes to come up with a different conclusion than you do. Using your logic, we are all stupid for rejecting the Tornado because we never bought one or dyno tested it.

Factual data always speaks louder than opinions, but if you accept Edelbrock's own data on their heads as "factual", they look exceptionally weak. I have no problem with someone buying a set, dynoing them and proving us all wrong.... but I wouldn't invest my money in a scheme with such poor odds.

JMHO .
Old 10-08-2006, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Joe B
Now that's a plan .......But what about putting a Procharger on top of it, and mabe a small bottle to cool the intake charge a bit more Ha Ha J/K ...good luck with it..................Joe
I actually have a nitrous kit from my old honda setup that I plan on putting in. Its a zex wet-kit. . I'd really like to do dual-stage though. But that will be once i get used to the new motor and how the car drives, then add the 150 shot, and then go bigger

Quick Reply: What to expect?