LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

what the hell happend?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 11:21 AM

what the hell happend?

on the way to work my car was running fine(not top's,but fine)it sounded like my car backfired,check engine light came on,check guage's came on and died.it sounded like i ran out of gas,but i had plenty of gas.it will turn over,but not fire up.fuel pump come's on.all this weekend we will be using process of elimination.i know my opti is going bad"AGAIN".about two weeks ago it rained bad and car wouldent start.my guess is water went in through my ss hood and got in it.it dried out a couple day and fired right up.i've been thru 3 opti's allready,but they never left me stranded like this.

can anyone give me some ideas of what to check?could it have jump timing?i replaced the opti and timing chain around april this year.thanks
Old 11-16-2002, 11:40 AM

Does it sound really funny when it is turning over? Because you could of broke your timeing chain. Same thing happened on my friends car. His turned over but it sounded real strange.
Old 11-16-2002, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by jasycZ28
Does it sound really funny when it is turning over? Because you could of broke your timeing chain. Same thing happened on my friends car. His turned over but it sounded real strange.
sounds normal to mee.i think i smelled a weird smell thru my vent's with the heater on also.
Old 11-16-2002, 12:38 PM

Pull a plug out and see if your getting any spark. If your getting no spark I would guess coil or opti.

You can look in the valve cover and see if the valvetrain is moving when you crank it to see if your chain is ok.
Old 11-16-2002, 02:21 PM

What you described is exactly what happened when my SECOND opti, that was only 6 week old, did when it died.
Old 11-16-2002, 02:29 PM

IO also vote Opti on that one
Old 11-16-2002, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by Teek
What you described is exactly what happened when my SECOND opti, that was only 6 week old, did when it died.

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.i hate these opti's.time to convert to the vented.
Old 11-16-2002, 07:16 PM

jason Cromer should be able to get you one cheap I have the vented one and I am on my fourth one. with 90,000 miles. Did you know that the sensor in the opti is made by mitsubishi. I dont understand how that little foil disc doesnt flex at high rpms its no wonder they go bad all the time.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:51 PM

him and dal both told me around 350.00 for everything.i'm saving up.i got to find out if it's even my opti first.
Old 12-01-2002, 04:54 PM

tested my coil and grounded my plug wire to check for a spark and nothing.is this saying my opti or coil is out?
Old 12-01-2002, 05:16 PM

Wait you are getting no power to plugs and the coil. Cuz iff it is only your opti you should still have power to coil thats how you know its opti. So there should be no power to plugs but power to coil for it to be opti.
Old 12-01-2002, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by weaponZ
tested my coil and grounded my plug wire to check for a spark and nothing.is this saying my opti or coil is out?
Here is something I already have written up. Maybe it will help.

OPTI and spark test

The opti has two functions in the spark process. The first thing that happens is as the cam turns, the optical section of the optispark picks up the signals by the rotation of the shutter wheel. The pulses are sent to the pcm via the optispark electrical harness. The pcm processes the signals along with other sensor input and determines the proper time for the coil to fire. The pcm sends a signal to the Ignition Coil Module (ICM) and it, in turn, causes the coil to fire. The spark from the coil travels through the coil wire back to the secondary ignition section of the optispark (cap and rotor), to be distributed to the proper cylinder.

If the opti is never sending the signal to the pcm, the pcm will never send a signal to fire the coil.

Here is some testing you can do. Refer to this diagram.

Disconnect the ICM connector.
Turn key to ON.
Check for dc voltage with a digital meter from each harness terminal "A" and "D" to ground. Note: Use a high impedance meter (at least 10 megohm) when dealing with the pcm.
Result should be 10v dc or more on both terminals.
If that is ok, switch the meter to ac scale and connect test leads to terminal "B" and to ground. Observe meter while cranking the engine. You should see between 1 and 4 volts ac (those are the pulses that trigger the coil to fire).
Old 12-01-2002, 05:44 PM

Thats exactly what happened when my opti went out.
Old 12-01-2002, 06:13 PM

Originally posted by bad95z28
Thats exactly what happened when my opti went out.

all mine went bad when it was parked getting work done to it.this is my plan.i'm going to buy everything to convert over to a vented opti,buy a new coil(if not that expensive)and buy a lt4 knock sensor.is this the right plan?
Old 12-01-2002, 08:26 PM

MAke sure you get the LT4 Knock Module not knock sensor the module goes in inside the ecm box pass. side you will see when u open it up I think their is directions at projecttransam.com also you can get a MSD blaster coil for only 38.95 from summit, SL1speed.com pretty much anywhere will all be around 40.00 not too bad.

Quick Reply: what the hell happend?