LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What injectors to get???

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 11:08 PM

What injectors to get???

I have a pretty modded 95' T/A. It puts out 390rwhp.

Morgan Motorsports built it, and from what I can see on the work orders, the stock injectors are still in the car.

The previous owner had all the stuff done so I don't know why he retained the stock injectors.

Should I be running high-po injectors or what???

What lbs pressure are the stock injectors???

For my mods, what pressure should I get??? I am planning on a supercharger in the future BTW.

Mods: Morgan Motorsports LT4 Aggressor heads
COMP CC 306 cam/ 1.6 rockers
Ported LT4 intake
58mm T.B.
Accel Gen 6 DFI
All the regular go-fast goodies, that's
the major stuff.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:33 AM

This might help a little:
http://paradox.shacknet.nu/dave88lx/.../injectors.htm

Keep in mind there's 3 tabs at the bottom.

Also, stock, you have 24 lb/hr injectors.

I'm still trying to decide between pintle and disc.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:01 AM
LWM

Re: What injectors to get???

Originally posted by GONE
I have a pretty modded 95' T/A. It puts out 390rwhp.

Morgan Motorsports built it, and from what I can see on the work orders, the stock injectors are still in the car.

The previous owner had all the stuff done so I don't know why he retained the stock injectors.
If the stock injectors were up to the task, then I too would have left them alone.

Should I be running high-po injectors or what???

What lbs pressure are the stock injectors???

For my mods, what pressure should I get??? I am planning on a supercharger in the future BTW.
If you S/C then 30# or 36# SVO injectors. You can run them at 39 - 49 psi. As a side note, the smaller the injector you can run, the better the idle quality and off idle response will be. The SVO's are rated at 39 psi, so you need to do some math if you run them at higher pressures. And of course you will need to find a way to modify your cars computer, LT1 editor, TunerCat ... yada, yada, yada.

I would recommend a set of 30# SVO's, that should be enough to get you to 475 hp, with an FMU, even more hp is easily attainable.

Hope this helps

LWM
Old 04-21-2004, 11:39 PM

Anyone else...

Anyone have a different or similiar opinion???

Am I going to have to re-tune if I get some Accel High impedance 30lb injectors???
Old 04-22-2004, 12:31 AM

I've got Accel 45 psi 30#'ers and I make around 370 rwhp on the motor.

It all depends on how much power your gonna pull with a blower, then use that number to figure out what injectors to get.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:27 AM

Ok...

When I change to longtubes, I should be at around 400rwhp, I'm at 390 now.

The blower should give me approximately 100rwhp because of the cam, no more than that, maybe a little less.

So whichinjectors are good for 500rwhp????
Old 04-22-2004, 03:24 AM

42#'ers? I'd call up Morgan Motorsports and ask them what they'd recommend.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:19 AM

That CC306 isn't going to help you with a supercharger. I'd run a shot of N2O instead. I think you'll be happer that way. I'd advise a set of 36# injectors if you decide to run nitrous. And yes, you will need to reprogram a little for the injectors, at the very least, the injector constant will need to be changed.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:53 AM

do the conversion to flywheel hp. 400rwhp is about 500 fly. then use dave88lx's awesome spreadsheet and crunch some numbers.

to give you an idea of what stock injectors are capable of, 24 lb/her pretty much max out at 400rwhp. and this is only done with some good tuning. Jordan Musser explained this to me from one of his cars. Do a search for him and you can see what he does with heads and intakes for LT1s, some really cool stuff.

anyway, 30's would be perfect (after you long tube swap for example), 36s are your next option, with the blower you should then consider 42s. tuning is always a good idea. remember your output will be changed slightly if you go with a GM squirter vs. an SVO (ford) type...

hope this helps.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:55 AM
LWM

Re: Anyone else...

Anyone have a different or similiar opinion???

Am I going to have to re-tune if I get some Accel High impedance 30lb injectors???
If you are still running the stock injectors (24 #ers) and you switch to Accel 30 #ers, you will definitely need to retune. I'm not sure about the Accel injectors, whether they are GM like, or Ford/SVO like. The Ford/SVO type handle higher pressures better than do the GM type. I would definitely recommend you go with Ford type injectors.

I sort of steered you towards the 30 # injectors because I ran the Ford/SVO injectors in my car at 49psi FP and it made 437 hp at the wheels under 11 psi of boost. I had the injector constant set to 30 # and with an adjustable FMU I was seeing around 65psi of fuel pressure at 10 - 11 psi at 5,900 rpm. With those injectors a person could set the injector constant to 32 # and still be "good to go".

36 # SVO injectors set to 39 # should easily handle your present set up plus a blower. Again, I'm assuming you will run an FMU, they make things so easy to tune. If you don't want to run an FMU, then you would need 42#ers or larger.

Right now I'm running 42 # SVO injectors with the injector constant set at 47 #s. I do have a bit of a cold start issue, it is rich on a cold crank, and as a result I have to give it 1/4 throttle on initial start up. It also is just a teeny bit finicky on throttle blips, sometimes it seems to cut out if you blip the throttle at idle, again, not a big deal, but I think it is trying to tell me that the injectors are pretty much all it can handle.

Hope this helps

LWM
Old 04-22-2004, 09:00 AM

I didn't think Ford/SVO still made/sold 36# injectors
Old 04-22-2004, 10:34 AM

I dont see how those can still be 24lb injectors on a 390rwhp car.

If we assume an M6 and 15% drivetrain loss then you have about 450hp at the crank. At stock fuel pressure and .5 BSFC (Brake specific fuel consumption, good estimate for a street car, maybe a bit conservative but I wouldn't think it is off by too much), the injectors at 100% duty cycle would only be good for 384 crank hp.

Does the car perhaps have an adjustable FPR? You'd have to run about 60psi line pressure to get them to support 450 at the crank. If your BSFC is a bit better then it would be a bit less line pressure, maybe 55psi or so (.48 bsfc).

Assuming you are keeping stock fuel pressure (43psi) and a .5 BSFC as well as keeping duty cycle to 80%...

30lb would be good to 384crank hp @ 80% DC
36lb would be good to 460crank hp @ 80% DC
42lb would be good to 537crank hp @ 80% DC

Also have to keep in mind that different injectors are sometimes rated at different pressures. For instance the Ford SVO injectors are rated at 39psi iirc. So FMS 42lb injectors actually would flow more at our stock line pressure of 43psi than the rating you see advertised.

HTH
Old 04-22-2004, 04:41 PM

I have no idea....

Yeah I don't know how the stock injectors are pulling these #'s, that is why I asked.

The car produced 389.7hp at the wheels and 361lb ft.

I think the car does have an AFPR, it's a Kirban I believe. I'd have to look at the work order.

I think that when I get the longtubes, I should get some new injectors too, and then a re-tune. With all of that in place I should be able to hit 400rwhp.

BTW- guys I can't ask Morgan Motorsports anything, they went out of business. Not sure why.

As far as the COMP CC306 not helping the blower, I know that. I have thought about nitrous and also a blower. Not sure which I am going to get yet. Leaning more toward the blower.

But even with that cam I should be able to up my power levels by 25%, or about 100rwhp.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:42 PM

Hmmm....

Is there any way to identify the injectors azs stock or not??? at a glance???

I am sure they are not yellow or Red so that would rule out SVO's and Accel's right????
Old 04-22-2004, 05:17 PM

Re: Hmmm....

Is there any way to identify the injectors azs stock or not??? at a glance???

I am sure they are not yellow or Red so that would rule out SVO's and Accel's right????
I don't think so. My stockers were flat on the injector side, and black up where it hooks into the harness. The Accels had a blue cap to prevent gunk buildup on the injector side and was yellow at the top.

Quick Reply: What injectors to get???