LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What kind of RTV to use, if any??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 03:13 PM

Thumbs up What kind of RTV to use, if any??

I'm starting to re-assemble my motor after my cam swap. I've got Permatex UltraCopper for the intake manifold. As far as the timing cover gasket and WP gaskets, what kind of RTV should I use, if any at all?
Old 04-02-2003, 03:15 PM

I used the permatex blue RTV gasket maker on my water pump. I guess you could use the orange high temp stuff as well.

John
Old 04-02-2003, 04:00 PM

I use the high temp red stuff, the only bad thing is it smells awful.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:03 PM

For the timing cover and wp gaskets I used just a light coating of high temp black rtv on both sides of the gasket. It makes it easier to keep the gaskets in place while installing.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:05 PM

ditto i'm with gregg i use black stuff for timing cover and so on and red stuff for intake manifold and so on
Old 04-02-2003, 08:07 PM

I think copper can be used anywhere you need RTV. Isn't it rated for the highest temp?
Old 04-03-2003, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by Bud M
I think copper can be used anywhere you need RTV. Isn't it rated for the highest temp?
It's rated for 700 degrees fahrenheit (sp?), good enough for exhaust sealent. =)
Old 04-03-2003, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by Laymaster
It's rated for 700 degrees fahrenheit (sp?), good enough for exhaust sealent. =)
yes but does copper sealant mix with gas
if useing it for the intake gasket?
Old 04-03-2003, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by chasmanz28
yes but does copper sealant mix with gas
if useing it for the intake gasket?
Not really any mixing going on, since it is primarily used on the end rails where there is no gas.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by shoebox
Not really any mixing going on, since it is primarily used on the end rails where there is no gas.
i wanted to use it on the both sides of the gasket to can i? I iknow it can be used on the end rails in the rear is where mine gave out
Old 04-04-2003, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by chasmanz28
i wanted to use it on the both sides of the gasket to can i? I iknow it can be used on the end rails in the rear is where mine gave out
I can't see any problem. The gasket is going to be doing most of the sealing anyway. Not sure that sealer is even required on the gasket.
I have not heard of anyone complaining about any RTV breaking down from gas exposure (not saying it won't ).
Old 04-04-2003, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by shoebox
I can't see any problem. The gasket is going to be doing most of the sealing anyway. Not sure that sealer is even required on the gasket.
I have not heard of anyone complaining about any RTV breaking down from gas exposure (not saying it won't ).
yeah i just read online that useing a rtv sealant if it comes in contact with gas will break it down, thats why i was wondering if i can or not, and with the intake gaskets i herd and read that useing sealant is a good idea to reasure that there wont be any leaks.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:31 AM

Just my 2 cents on the Ultra Copper:

I had HORRIBLE experiences with that stuff trying to seal up my intake. I actually did my intake leak three times!!!

I ended up using the GM Assembly Adhesive (can't remember the part number) that is in the bulletin for the intake leak issue and then it finally sealed for me. The Ultra Copper would hold for a day or two then leak worse than before!! I used gobs of it like everyone kept telling me, but she kept leaking! The GM stuff was my saving grace. The tube costs around $8 at the dealer and is a little smaller than a Permatex tube, but the stuff works!!!

On the other stuff, I think I may use the same GM stuff. Also, JB Weld works great for exhaust manifolds!! Yea, you are laughing, but it does!!!

That is what worked for me, but good luck!
Old 04-04-2003, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by RTICWOLF
Just my 2 cents on the Ultra Copper:

I had HORRIBLE experiences with that stuff trying to seal up my intake. I actually did my intake leak three times!!!

I ended up using the GM Assembly Adhesive (can't remember the part number) that is in the bulletin for the intake leak issue and then it finally sealed for me. The Ultra Copper would hold for a day or two then leak worse than before!! I used gobs of it like everyone kept telling me, but she kept leaking! The GM stuff was my saving grace. The tube costs around $8 at the dealer and is a little smaller than a Permatex tube, but the stuff works!!!

On the other stuff, I think I may use the same GM stuff. Also, JB Weld works great for exhaust manifolds!! Yea, you are laughing, but it does!!!

That is what worked for me, but good luck!
maybe if u used the copper on the 4th time it would seal too
Never had problems with my intake manifold leaking after usin DA COPPER
Old 04-04-2003, 10:56 AM

Very funny!
I just could not get that crap to seal for me, not sure why, I did it the same way using the Copper or GM stuff and only the GM stuff worked (for me).

I did get real good at taking the intake off!! LOL!!! I got to the point where I didn't even have to label a thing!

Quick Reply: What kind of RTV to use, if any??