LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What lowering Springs and shocks to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 02:05 PM

What lowering Springs and shocks to buy?

There are kindof a lot of choices when it comes to this but i was wondering if the eibach pro kit springs and Bilstein shocks would be an alright combo. They say the Eibach lowers your car 1 to 1.5 inches and thats about all i want. I am replacing the shocks because they are original and worn out. Any imput appreciated..........................thanks.

Chris
Old 02-07-2003, 02:22 PM

There are lots of choices out there because there are lots of different people who buy them. Each person is different in their driving style, use, budget and comfort levels. If you are into drag racing I wouldn't go with Eibach/Bilstein but they work well for the weekend corner carver.

The Bilsteins are a great bang-for-the-buck shock. Most people have been very happy with Strano revalved Bilsteins. I wouldn't exclude springs like BMR and DMS either which are quickly gaining popularity here.
Old 02-07-2003, 02:22 PM

I can't really comment on the shocks choice, but if you want to drop 2", and avoid pretty much any kind of speed bump, go with the Eibach Sportlines. The stance is wicked mean, and I just wish that I had a pic of my car I could show you. Ground clearence is minimal to say the least, but just be careful where you aim it, and you won't regret sacrificing clearence for the handling.
Old 02-07-2003, 02:27 PM

I have the Hotchkis springs, and KYB AGX shocks. I can't complain one bit, awesome stance. It was like night and day for the suspension. If you decide on the KYB's IMO start out low on the settings they are very harsh as you increase the settings.
Old 02-07-2003, 02:53 PM

I forgot about the Hotchkis springs.

I'm a little unsure about the AGX shocks. The price is right, especially for adjustables but I have heard a few complaints about performance and durability.
Old 02-07-2003, 03:01 PM

I would say go with Eibach Pro-Kit and KYB adjustable shocks. I have seen the shocks go for $300/set and the Pro-Kit for as low as $180.

Look at my pics for Eibach Sportlines. Great stance.
Old 02-07-2003, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by Buttercup
I forgot about the Hotchkis springs.

I'm a little unsure about the AGX shocks. The price is right, especially for adjustables but I have heard a few complaints about performance and durability.

The only problem I have had with the AGX's is that they are very rough if you set the settings to high. I like to have a little bit of give in the suspension. If you set them low they are very respectable, IMO.
Old 02-07-2003, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by PWRD LT1
The only problem I have had with the AGX's is that they are very rough if you set the settings to high. I like to have a little bit of give in the suspension. If you set them low they are very respectable, IMO.
I think the only complaints I've heard were from more serious autocross enthusiasts, who, of course, are going to be much more critical. They are probably great for most street drivers but the Bilsteins have been a mainstay for the autocross crowd. It's really a matter of what you want to do with the car I think, unless of course the AGX's wear out too fast but I can't comment on that.... how many miles, how much abuse do you have on yours?
Old 02-07-2003, 03:18 PM

I have only put about 3,000 miles on them. I don't drive my car enough, lol. I average about 3,000 miles a year on it since I have owned it. I guess thats why I have a 94 with 32,000 miles on it, so I can't brag about how long they last or can I say that I have put them through alot of abuse. I have not taken them to the track yet, I am waiting to get the rest of my mods on first.
Old 02-07-2003, 03:22 PM

Drive much?

Not saying they're going to explode but just trying to get a feel for 'em. I'm sure if anything would happen you'd share.
Old 02-07-2003, 04:12 PM

Thanks for all the quick responses. I will most likely go with the Ebach pro kit. I only take my car to the track when i get something new put on. So i just want a reliable shock that will do decent at the track and decent cornering too. Oh and how hard is it to change out the shocks and springs? Would i be able to do it myself or should i just take it somewhere?

Chris
Old 02-07-2003, 04:30 PM

I hope you mean the autocross or road race track, not the drag strip. I don't think the Pro kit and 60' ft. times agree. DMS would be a better choice if you plan on occasional drag strip use.

The rear is easy but it is recommended to send the front to a pro. It can be done but most people don't like messing with it. If you do it by yourself be careful with the spring compressor, as they can be deadly.

Don't forget an alignment when you're done.
Old 02-10-2003, 12:54 PM

Do the DMS springs lower the car too? If so how much? I was talking about the drag strip not autocross. So wht you are saying is that eibach springs would make my 60 fts worse? I want to lower my car but i dont want to compromise my track times for it.
Old 02-10-2003, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by black bandit
I can't really comment on the shocks choice, but if you want to drop 2", and avoid pretty much any kind of speed bump, go with the Eibach Sportlines.
Too soft IMO, I run a very low car as well and with the 600# on the front they are fine, but there is such a thing as too low. Without going to big full on race tires and a smooth course, dropping the car so much is more for looks than performance. Suspension travel is there for a reason

Eibachs and Bilsteins seem to work well together, but technically speaking they are valved for stock springs, not stiffer units.
Old 02-10-2003, 04:01 PM

You can do the setup if you want, some people just aren't comfortable or dont want to get greasy, etc If you feel comfortable using a spring compressor and spending a couple hours on the car, you should be fine.

You'll need a T-50 for the front, and a set of spring compressors, I got mine for $25 and used a 13/16" ratcheting wrench and did it myself. The books tell you to remove the sway bar and ball joints, you dont have to. If you remove the end links and move the sway bar out of the way, that works fine. As for the ball joints, you may want to replace them, mine were fine so I just rotated the spring/shock assembly until I could remove it, I didn't have to remove the brake lines either. Using a small jack under the A arm will help greatly, as its pretty heavy, and you dont want to rip your brake lines, really helps out.

Quick Reply: What lowering Springs and shocks to buy?