LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What lowering Springs and shocks to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by 95z28 -quicksilver
Do the DMS springs lower the car too? If so how much? I was talking about the drag strip not autocross. So wht you are saying is that eibach springs would make my 60 fts worse? I want to lower my car but i dont want to compromise my track times for it.
In general, lowering springs are a bad choice for the drag racer... they help prevent weight transfer. Weight transfer is what you want at the strip (although not at the autocross track). Many people complain about the lowering springs hurting their 60' times, Eibachs included. The DMS springs have reportadly not hurt or even improved some people's times. I can't personally comment on mine as I have yet to drive the car with them on (in storage). They lower the car, on average, about 1.25". The BMR springs may also be a good choice if you want a bit lower stance but don't want to compromise a launch... I have not heard good or bad about these at the strip yet but they only lower the car ~1" with what appear to be comfortable yet "sporty" rates.

Another thing to consider might be that those people who lowered their cars did not correct for suspension geometry, which will negate any anit-squat that was there. If you are going to lower the car and still want to launch then you should install LCA relocation brackets and usually an adjustable PHR as well.

If I were aiming for cornering prowess I, personally, would probably go for ~1.5" drop, 600lb/in, linear rate springs in the front but I can't imagine what these would do for the drag racer

It's hard to have both worlds
Old 02-10-2003, 05:00 PM

Thanks, do you know where i could get some DSM springs? I dont really care about cornering. I just want it to look good and not be hurt TOO bad at the track. I guess from what you guys said i should probably go with the DSM springs and bilsteins. Thanks again.

Chris
Old 02-10-2003, 05:03 PM

sportlines pic's in sig
Old 02-10-2003, 05:17 PM

They are a CZ28 vendor...
http://www.dynamicmotorsports.com

Looks like their online catalog is out of comission at this moment Just shoot an email to eric@dynamicmotorsports.com

They did have a huge GP on these springs but I think it's done They should still be cheaper than the ProKit from Eibach. Don't forget the LCA relocation brackets... they are a must! While they are all very similar I think the most popular brand right now are the Spohn units (DMS, BMR, etc., also make them).

As far as shocks go... the Kyb AGX might be better for your drag use since they are adjustable (you can really soften up the fronts at the strip). The Bilsteins are going to be better for cornering but you might want to try the Kyb's for drag/daily driver. QA1 (formerly HAL) would be the best but come at a higher price.

These are only suggestions of course... you have to make your own decisions
Old 02-10-2003, 09:06 PM

Which kind of brackets to get, the bolt ons or the weld ins. I know a lot of people who have gone with bmr so i will go with those. Can i just do the brackets or do i need LCA's? Thanks

Chris
Old 02-10-2003, 09:43 PM

Whenever I'm working with a member that is going to be loaded so critically I go with weld in. Some people don't like the idea of welding something onto their car, they want something more reversible, or want something they can do themselves (if they don't have a welder). From a pure performance perspective, welded parts are the only way to go.

You do not need LCA's. People will buy them to save weight or prevent flexing, but it's not something you're going to notice on most cars. If you have some money down the road and want some parts to jazz the car up they are fine but certainly not necessary.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:36 PM

Buttercup, thanks alot for all of your advice. Its people like you that make modding a car easy and make this forum a lifesaver. Thanks again.

Chris
Old 02-10-2003, 11:50 PM

can i get more straight line high speed stability and gain a good amount of handling with belistien shocks only and without adding eibach pro kit springs?
Old 02-11-2003, 09:50 AM

Shocks are what help with high speed stability, if your not going with the springs definately get the shocks first.