LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What is needed to install pacesetter longtubes...and how hard is it really?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 08:06 AM

What is needed to install pacesetter longtubes...and how hard is it really?

I Want to get pacesetter longtubes this winter and a true dual system.....but the thing is payin a shop to install em is wayyy to expensive... what tools etc would i need to install them and how hard would it actually be to do it myself? a write up would be sweet or a tutorial...... any help would be appreciated.... thx guys
Old 10-18-2006, 08:51 AM

Re: What is needed to install pacesetter longtubes...and how hard is it really?

Get a lift if you can, or jack the front up high for removing the stock exhaust and sliding the headers in from the bottom. Put all bolts/screws in bags and keep them labeled, just easier that way
Disconnect battery
Remove alternator
Get liquid wrench/wd40 and soak stock exhaust
O2 sensors might be a pain to get off, so be ready to buy 1 or 2. The extension wires that come with the Pacesetters are good
You might need to remove a couple of the rear plugs/wires for removal/install of manifolds/headers
Take off the plastic boot around the steering joint, remove that one bolt and use a screwdriver and hammer it out if needed (the shaft itself). Move that up and out of the way and driver side should slide right in.
Remove dipstick on passanger side...1 bolt on the bracket and pull up/out and it comes right out
I already had AC lines out so don't know if they'll be in the way.
Buy some band clamps at a parts store rather than the U-clamps that comes with the headers/y-pipe

very important: make sure you route the plug wires so none are touching the headers, I learned the hard way lol
Old 10-18-2006, 02:01 PM

thx man
Old 10-18-2006, 02:05 PM

Some extra stuff I would suggest: new plugs and wires since you already are taking them off, I would also consider doing an over-the-valve cover wire setup so the wires are routed better away from the headers. Some 12" 02 sensor harness extensions are also a good idea. Pacesetter includes crimps and wires to lengthen your existing harnesses, but I don't think is a very good idea. Also, as mentioned above, the band clamps are a good idea, they seal very good and don't distort the pipes like the u-clamps do.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by 2000GTP
Some extra stuff I would suggest: new plugs and wires since you already are taking them off, I would also consider doing an over-the-valve cover wire setup so the wires are routed better away from the headers. Some 12" 02 sensor harness extensions are also a good idea. Pacesetter includes crimps and wires to lengthen your existing harnesses, but I don't think is a very good idea. Also, as mentioned above, the band clamps are a good idea, they seal very good and don't distort the pipes like the u-clamps do.
I just used the wire extensions that came with, but I've been dealing with wire/electronics for years. I'd just buy the extensions if you don't have any experience in doing that, not that it's hard really..
Good point on the new plugs and wires at this time, I forgot to mention that because I did them not too long ago.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by ZFan88
I just used the wire extensions that came with, but I've been dealing with wire/electronics for years. I'd just buy the extensions if you don't have any experience in doing that, not that it's hard really..
Good point on the new plugs and wires at this time, I forgot to mention that because I did them not too long ago.
I have many years experience with electronics as well, its just the 02 harnesses is one thing that I would not rather cut/splice/and crimp. Soldering the wires and using some heat shrink tubing would probably be a better idea, but the plug-n-play harness extensions just simplify things so much.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:48 PM
VK

plug & play
WORTH IT!
Old 10-18-2006, 03:42 PM

You'll probably have to remove the starter as well. If you can''t get it high enough off of the ground you'll probably have to jack up the engine to do the passenger side. You could do motor mounts while you're at it. I'm kinda kickin myself for not replacing those when I did the headers.
The most important part of the job is patience.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Disifer
You'll probably have to remove the starter as well. If you can''t get it high enough off of the ground you'll probably have to jack up the engine to do the passenger side. You could do motor mounts while you're at it. I'm kinda kickin myself for not replacing those when I did the headers.
The most important part of the job is patience.
Yep, starter has to go, I also had to remove the alternator, and the steering linkage on the drivers side. I put the drivers side header in through the bottom but I had to jack the car up very high. As for the passenger side, I got the header in from the top but I had to remove the passenger valve cover in order for the EGR fitting on the header to clear. You may also want to tape off or put some rags over the sharp spots in the engine bay so you don't scratch up the brand new headers.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:08 PM

oh and watch your knuckles too. just expect it will take a while and keep your cool. using a swivle on the ratchet will help get the rear bolts in/out, and be careful of hitting your spark plugs with the headers when you're fitting them. have fun
Old 10-18-2006, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by redneck01
oh and watch your knuckles too. just expect it will take a while and keep your cool. using a swivle on the ratchet will help get the rear bolts in/out, and be careful of hitting your spark plugs with the headers when you're fitting them. have fun
I ended up pulling the plugs out before hand, one less thing to get in my way and **** me off. One other thing you may want to consider removing would be the coolant temp sensor located in the drivers side head. It is very easy to graze this and snap the fragile plastic body of the connector on this sensor. Many of us including myself made this mistake. When you do remove it, put a catch pan under it because some coolant will leak out. After everything is done, make sure to put the coolant back in.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:24 PM

good point 200gtp, that sensor is a pita, take your time removing it, it is VERY fragile and if you hit it with the wrench you use it could brake it.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by jldak318
good point 200gtp, that sensor is a pita, take your time removing it, it is VERY fragile and if you hit it with the wrench you use it could brake it.
I broke mine while trying to work the header up in there and I wasn't paying attention at all. Bonehead move on my part. Its only a 20 dollar sensor though so if you do break it, its not the end of the world I guess.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:44 PM

Pull out the oil pressure sensor if you have it on the block. I used a jack and a 4x4 and unbolted one motor mount at a time. Jacked it up and they slid in like butter. Didn't have to take off the starter that way. It was the only way i could do it i couldn't get the car off the grond high enough.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:46 PM

I used 12 by 8 by 8 cinder blocks stacked 3 or 4 high under the jack stands to get the front end high enough to slide both in from the bottom. Once I got it high enough it was a very easy job.

Also a set of smaller hands will come in very handy.

Tim

Quick Reply: What is needed to install pacesetter longtubes...and how hard is it really?