LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What oil and oil filters do you guys use

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 02:23 PM

Another vote for Wix filters. Cut a few brands open and look at them. The Wix is the best one i've seen.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by aifilaw
I've read most of the oil and oil filter survey's out there, both the partisan and non-partisan studies...

I refuse to use any oil filter besides WIX, maybe a puroline, I hear that K&N is good, but haven't seen it in a side-side breakd-wn and take-apart comparison done by a competant technician.

If I run non-synthetic, I use Rotella 15-30 in the gallon jugs, me, my father, and grandpa have been using rotella in the gallon jug since it was invented in everything from gas, to diesel, tractor, trailor, and big rigs. It kicks the *** out of most other oils in comparisons.

If I run synthetic, mobil 1
A lot of people I respect use the Rotella. It's also cheap!

Rich
Old 01-30-2007, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by 1997whitez28
Other thing I have always put an extra quart of Mobil 1 will that hurt my engine it been a year and the extra doesnt seem to hurt.

Are you saying you overfill the crank case by 1 quart? If so thats a really bad idea. If the oil level is high enough to contact the crank it can "whip" air into the oil. If this aireated oil gets drawn in by the oil pump pick-up it can starve a bearing of oil and if bad enough loose oil pressure.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:02 PM

FRAM and Mobil 1
Old 01-30-2007, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by exgmguy
Another vote for Wix filters. Cut a few brands open and look at them. The Wix is the best one i've seen.
QFT
i run nothing buy wix filters
for oil - i run castrol syntec blend 5w30, 147k on the motor, cars still holding fine being beaten almost daily
Old 01-30-2007, 04:17 PM
VK

Well, i'll let experience answer this one

I've worked and ran a fast lube place , yes a fast lube place for over 5 years now. I change the oil in ~150 cars a week, sometimes twice that. I've worked on Vipers, Corvettes, CLKs, F-bodies, Mustangs, Porshe, BMW... i've seen just about everything except exotics.

Now to this oil & filter issue.

I carry Pennzoil, Quakerstate, Valvoline, Havoline, Castrol, Mobil, and even service pro. We also carry either Pennzoil or Mobil 1 filters.

I receive technical stats on every oil i use, detailing every item in the oil (not the quantity) and the SAE ratings. Blah blah blah... lol

When it ALL comes down to it, doesn't matter what oil you use.. or even the filter. I wouldn't recommend using recycled products, but wal-mart does all the time and they get away with it. You need to change the oil on time, EVERY time. If you change your oil when it needs to be changed or sooner, it doesn't matter what oil you use. If you use Mobil one and go 3-5K miles an oil change, fine.. but its not as good for your engine if you use regular oil EVERY 2K miles. Change it when you plan on doing alot of racing, and change it afterwords. And don't forget to chose the correct weight for your application, it matters more then the oil brand.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:17 PM
VK

forgot to say what i use, silly me

Pennzoil 5w30 w/ Pennzoil filter changed every 1,500 miles or less. Fresh oil flushed through motor every time.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:23 PM

mobil-1 0-40 in the winter/ mobil1 10-30 in the summer.
i had a tapping lifter until i used 0-40, now it's smoooth!
Old 01-30-2007, 08:03 PM

wic filter and synthetic blend oil. 5-30
Old 01-30-2007, 08:04 PM

I've worked at two of the auto parts chains now, and we've cut open tons of filters, and been to several classes put on by Wix....and after looking at them all the Wix is very similar to the Mobil and K&N, but if you'll notice the K&N has a weighted base making it feel like it has more material. The Fram just looks cheap, and you have to be careful of which AC Delco; I can't seem to remember what the PF454 looked like(some have a plastic center and much less filter material).

But as VK said even the cheapest of oil and filter will work and not harm the engine so long as you change it regularly.

Myself I use Wix 51069(stubby) and Royal Purple 10W30
Old 01-30-2007, 08:19 PM

I have always put an extra queart of oil in my LT1 for more then a year and its runs great all stock 134,000 miles I guess I will stop doing that bec you guys said its not good. I just heard that LT1 can hold more oil or that for racing an extra quart is ok
Old 01-30-2007, 08:20 PM

ANd I have ran my car with 2 quarts low bec of a leak was was the rear intake man valley it happen at 120,000 but GM gave me a updated sealent that should last very very long.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:21 PM

Where are you guys purchasing the WIX and AC Delco filters?

-B
Old 01-30-2007, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by blown383
Where are you guys purchasing the WIX and AC Delco filters?

-B
Wix - Oreiley and i think AC delco is GM parts as far as i know. Never bought one.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by VK
Well, i'll let experience answer this one

I've worked and ran a fast lube place , yes a fast lube place for over 5 years now. I change the oil in ~150 cars a week, sometimes twice that. I've worked on Vipers, Corvettes, CLKs, F-bodies, Mustangs, Porshe, BMW... i've seen just about everything except exotics.

Now to this oil & filter issue.

I carry Pennzoil, Quakerstate, Valvoline, Havoline, Castrol, Mobil, and even service pro. We also carry either Pennzoil or Mobil 1 filters.

I receive technical stats on every oil i use, detailing every item in the oil (not the quantity) and the SAE ratings. Blah blah blah... lol

When it ALL comes down to it, doesn't matter what oil you use.. or even the filter. I wouldn't recommend using recycled products, but wal-mart does all the time and they get away with it. You need to change the oil on time, EVERY time. If you change your oil when it needs to be changed or sooner, it doesn't matter what oil you use. If you use Mobil one and go 3-5K miles an oil change, fine.. but its not as good for your engine if you use regular oil EVERY 2K miles. Change it when you plan on doing alot of racing, and change it afterwords. And don't forget to chose the correct weight for your application, it matters more then the oil brand.

I agree with you here and also work at a fast lube too . i dont own the place but worked there a few years . Oil is oil not much diference from brand to brand , theres only like a few compianys that actual make oil . i second a engine's oil being changed more often (every 3 months or 2,000 miles ) with say castrol gtx and a cheap filter . Then say mobil 1 and high dollar filter every 5,000 miles . oil has detergents that clean , and by doing more oil chages you keep the engine very clean .

( ever do a oil change on a old pick up truck or any car that has not had ferquent oil changes , you can drain the oil and replace the filter andadd new oil , run it then check the oil and its still BLACK)

The owner has a old 92 chevy k 1500 with 320,000 miles on it and that 350 still runs smooth and strong . he chages his oil every 2 months or before 3,000 always , i rather buy one of his old cars because they been servise to the max always .

and me i use Castrol Syntec 5w-30 with a WIX Filter or sometimes my shops compared Service Champ filter , i cut one open and its pretty close to a wix .

i would use mobil one but castrol i have in BULK !!

i change my oil about every 3,000 miles or 3-6 months depends how much i been driving .

also what do you mean my flushing your engine with fresh oil , do you just pump some new oil in the engine and let it drain out the drain plug ? or you use a engine clean flush chemical ?

Quick Reply: What oil and oil filters do you guys use