LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What to paint exhaust with that will really stay?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 07:25 PM

What to paint exhaust with that will really stay?

I am going to build a custom exhaust, and when I get done, I want to paint it black. Is there anything that will really stay, or do they all suck?

-James
Old 11-08-2004, 07:28 PM

Re: What to paint exhaust with that will really stay?

Up in my climate I have had good luck with BBQ flat black, it is meant to take the temps too. If it lasts up here I think it would last much better down by you, up here they really get carried away with salt, like enought o make the road slippery itself.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:29 PM

Only think i have ever seen is black header paint. The cars i have seen with the black header paint on them seem to hold up very well but they dont see much street time. I would like to know the answer to this question as well and where to get the specified paint from.

Brandon
Old 11-08-2004, 07:38 PM

http://www.plastikote.com/plastikote...t=HotPaint&t=2

Old 11-08-2004, 07:43 PM

awesome, thanks

Brandon
Old 11-08-2004, 07:58 PM

Has anyone tried this out to see if it really works?
Old 11-08-2004, 09:08 PM

I've used it before. Atleast i think it was that kind. It is from Advanced Auto. I painted an intake plenum, some heat sheilds, and part of a turbo manifold and downpipe (just to test it). Held up superbly. Im about to coat my headers in blue. It's gonna be a pain to get all that shipping paint off first though. Anyone know an easy way to get it off? Also this paint takes a long time to dry if ever. My paint always felt like it was wet, kinda sticky. Not a big deal though.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by ShawnMacAnanny
I've used it before. Atleast i think it was that kind. It is from Advanced Auto. I painted an intake plenum, some heat sheilds, and part of a turbo manifold and downpipe (just to test it). Held up superbly. Im about to coat my headers in blue. It's gonna be a pain to get all that shipping paint off first though. Anyone know an easy way to get it off? Also this paint takes a long time to dry if ever. My paint always felt like it was wet, kinda sticky. Not a big deal though.

Just an idea but could you sand blast the headers to get the old paint off?
Old 11-09-2004, 06:11 PM

If that's the 1500 degree paint I'm thinking of, then I would highly recommend it. It seems to last at least a year or two on headers, but on exhaust pipes I would imagine it would last much longer. Sandblasting the factory crap paint off is the best idea, as it's really hard to sand in all the crevices by the collectors. If you look at my cardomain page in my sig. you can see my headers. I painte them in March when the motor was going in. I sanded the headers, and the paint that's missing was because I did a s**tty job sanding because I had more important things to do at the time(like put together the long block). I actually painted the whole block and brackets with the paint. As long as you do good prep work it should last a long time.

Edit: Now that I look at the pictures again, the headers really don't look that great, but they aren't rusting, which is all I care about. The cap for the AIR injection wasn't painted, so compare that to the rest of the headers and you'll see that it does protect. The headers have about 18,000 miles on them, so they've endured a lot of heat, and I'm sure that the N2O gets them nice and hot.

Last edited by izzyz28; 11-09-2004 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:07 PM

I have been eyeballin this stuff for the past few days. I just got the hookers done and noticed some rust forming in corners where the ceramic coating was hard to apply by the factory.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...1/p-35/c-10101

It interested me because it was good to 1800 degrees and contained stainless steal flakes that apparently melt to coat the surface. It was also a rust inhibitor.

It is only for hot surfaces as it must heat to dry.

What do all yall think? Oh sorry about the spelling. Should be y'all

Dave

Last edited by slopokrodrigez; 11-09-2004 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:39 PM

I just did all this today. Get air plane paint remover in the spray can. It gets it off really good. You will need two cans. Also a side note is that that paint runs like hell. Atlest it did for me. I can paint pretty good with cheap paint, did my hood for $3.78 including masking tape and the Delaware State News, but this paint runs horribly.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by BlackLT1_TX
I am going to build a custom exhaust, and when I get done, I want to paint it black. Is there anything that will really stay, or do they all suck?

-James
We have had good luck with this:

http://www.vhtpaint.com/high_temp.htm

They recommend sand blasting and also a curing temperature schedule.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by OldSStroker

Now to find an oven that will fit my flowmaster back section all separated once piece at a time to cure it after painting

Sounds like it is gonna cost me a can or two of the paint, a can of primer, a can of nice cleaner for the initial clean and some wire brushes. About $30-$40 but I bet it makes the exhaust last alot longer, my last flowmaster rusted through the back pipe where it bends in about 2.5 years.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by OldSStroker

I have painted exhaut manifolds with this that still look like I just painted them years later. Follow their instructions and it will last.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:50 AM

A lot of the higher temp paints like the 1500 degree ones require you to back them on. Problem is most of the time you can't find an oven big enough to fit your headers in, plus it ruins the oven for cooking use if you don't have a spare one. I've found that after putting it on hit it up with a butane torch for a little while, until you see a change in the paint. Did this on my old shorties and it worked great. I tried before by just painting them and figured that once they were on and the car was started it, that would bake it but it just peeled off.

Quick Reply: What to paint exhaust with that will really stay?