LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What shocks/ struts ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 06:35 PM

What shocks/ struts ???

I was wondering what kind of shocks/struts you guys would recomend? I am getting a set of Intrax lowering springs in soon. I am going to go ahead and switch the shocks and struts while its all apart especailly since they are stock and the car has 138K on it.

I was looking at KYB gas adjusts for the rear and KYB AGX (?) adjustables for the front. Is there anything else that would work maybe better or be more cost effective? -------------> Brad
Old 10-06-2003, 06:48 PM

The Kyb's are inexpensive but you get what you pay for

The Bilstein shocks are certainly the most popular/proven shocks for these cars. You can simply get HD versions or even better yet have them revalved to match the springs you run. These won't help with drag racing at all but do help cornering prowess without making the ride abusive.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by Buttercup
The Kyb's are inexpensive but you get what you pay for

The Bilstein shocks are certainly the most popular/proven shocks for these cars. You can simply get HD versions or even better yet have them revalved to match the springs you run. These won't help with drag racing at all but do help cornering prowess without making the ride abusive.

Ok the KYBs were about $35 each for the rears and $100 a piece for the fronts. That is with my shop discount. How is that inexpensive?

Should I dare ask what the Bilsteins go for?

---------------> Brad
Old 10-06-2003, 07:19 PM

are these junk? --------------------> Brad

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2435127169
Old 10-06-2003, 07:27 PM

Stranoparts.com sells the Kybs for a little less than that.... even with your discount I have no direct experience with the Kyb's but I have heard from knowledgable people that have used them and were unhappy with their dampening characteristics and their longevity.

A set of regular Bilstein HD shocks will run about $330 for all 4. If you were interested in the 'best' you can have Strano revalve them to match a good set of springs, at which point it would cost $480 I don't think you'll find too many people that would disagree with the Bilstein HD shocks being a great bang for the buck (unless crappy shocks are acceptable in which case you can get some takeoffs for next to nothing).

Expensive but very good is Koni. If you were a competitive road racer you could easily drop over a grand on shocks... but they are one of the most important parts of the suspension.

QA1 adjustable shocks are a good "do everything but not accel at anything" shock as well. If you're interested in a multifunction care these are great. Priced similarly to single adjustable Koni's.

The high end Penske reservoir shocks are probably worth more than your car
Old 10-06-2003, 07:49 PM

These?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2435086416
Old 10-06-2003, 07:54 PM

Those are the ones Although if you include shipping on that Ebay auction it's just as much as buying from a reputable (and supporting) vendor here
Old 10-06-2003, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by Buttercup
Those are the ones Although if you include shipping on that Ebay auction it's just as much as buying from a reputable (and supporting) vendor here
I'll keep that in mind...............Thanks- Brad
Old 10-06-2003, 08:07 PM

Get the Bilsteins, around here the rears go for $90 a piece so the fronts should be up there =)
Old 10-06-2003, 09:11 PM

Hey Austin.......did you use to use the RK-Sport Message board???.....(like years ago)

Just wondered cause i remember someone named that--i think
Old 10-06-2003, 09:13 PM

I have Bilsteins and I highly recommend them. Mine were $330+shipping for the set of 4 from www.stranoparts.com

They will last.

Dan
Old 10-06-2003, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by "White Knight"
Hey Austin.......did you use to use the RK-Sport Message board???.....(like years ago)

Just wondered cause i remember someone named that--i think
Nope, wasn't me. -------------> Brad
Old 10-06-2003, 09:35 PM
iCE

I like the stock shocks. with most of the other ones you experience a rougher ride. ESPECIALLY if your car has anykind of lowering springs. My friend travis has bilsteins, a eibach 2" drop and sub-frame connectors and let me tell you, that is the MOST UNCOMFORTABLE riding car I have ever been in.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:07 PM

Alright guys thanks for the replies. I decided to go with the KYB AGX adjustables. I got these for $90 a piece for the fronts and $32 a piece for the non adjustable gas shock in the rear. No Tax!
I talked to some of my buddies and they concured that Bilsteins would be a very rough ride. I also wanted something stiffer than stock. My stock shocks have around 138K on them, I think I'll notices a difference. -Thanks again ---------------> Brad
Old 10-11-2003, 06:12 PM

I love the ride of the Bilstein HDs. ~$300 for a set from http://bimmerparts.com/

Quick Reply: What shocks/ struts ???