LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What specifically makes the LS1 better than the LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 11:51 PM

Re: What specifically makes the LS1 better than the LT1?

Originally Posted by MEAN LT1
Pfft, The LS1 makes baby Jesus cry.
From the information provided....Yes, it does indeed make baby jesus cry...
Old 05-20-2005, 12:01 AM

Because they have 18* heads, main reason
Old 05-20-2005, 12:17 AM

Yes the LS1 is definately a gift from God. A gift that scares the pants off of Mustang owners.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:48 AM

Well guess what, they can have there 350-400 dollor cams. piston slapping, no bottom end torque having, sewing machine sounding...... do I need to continue. Lets not talk about there issue with the clutch pedal not coming back up. Is it apparent I dont like the motor....yea your right. I'll gladly keep my old school opti crap LT1 and bust on some LS1's.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:32 AM

Most of the level headed guys here have basically given you your answer. But this article was a great read on the LS1 engine and specifically how it was improved from the LT1. I am assuming this was an unbiased writer as all this info seems to be fact rather then fiction.

BTW not all LS1's have piston slap. Mine doesn't. And I'll gladly accept a little oil consumption in exchange for all the technilogical upgrades not to mention all the fun I have had

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/50638/

Last edited by darrens99formul; 05-20-2005 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:45 AM

Just for info the LS1 valves are on a 15 deg angle not 18.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:46 AM

i thought the ls1 had 15* heads? oh well if ls1's are so great how come the faster all motor cars are still lt1's?????????
Old 05-20-2005, 08:52 AM

Thumbs up Re: What specifically makes the LS1 better than the LT1?

If I had had over $5000 more I would have probably gone ls1 or first gen . Ill tell ya what tho for the lil bit of money I have tied up in her shes a beast. The LS1 is the culmination of 40+ years of SBC evolution. It is a fantastic motor you can nit pick at it all day long but mod for mod it will always be faster because it is a superior design. Dont hate on it just cuz you dont have it.

oh yeah ..... my wiener is way bigger than yours !!!!

Last edited by BigJustinZ28; 05-20-2005 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by BigJustinZ28
If I had had over $5000 more I would have probably gone ls1 or first gen . Ill tell ya what tho for the lil bit of money I have tied up in her shes a beast. The LS1 is the culmination of 40+ years of SBC evolution. It is a fantastic motor you can nit pick at it all day long but mod for mod it will always be faster because it is a superior design. Dont hate on it just cuz you dont have it.

oh yeah ..... my wiener is way bigger than yours !!!!
I don't think mod for mod it is faster once you start to go internal. If an LT-1 and an LS-1 have the same flowing heads same cam, ignition, exhaust, etc. Then why would it still be more powerfull??
Old 05-20-2005, 11:08 AM

Well, as long as u all want to continue lauding the LS1 on the LT1 site, and it's Friday and I'm bored, let me say this about that: The LS1, although better in many ways than the LT1 is still a push rod engine. It is not what one would expect in terms of a "grand" achievement for the GM engineers in this day and age. Just look at the engines in the newer cars. They put out very impressive numbers for their size compared to the LS1, which is really old school.

The head design of the LS1 is superiour because it makes sense. Most motor heads understand how important head flow is and that's why people have always ported heads. GM dragged their feet on the SBC because they were just too complacent and interested in the bottom line rather than producing a better engine until they unwrapped the LS1 which has fallen behind already.

Having said this about that, I would rather have an LT1 in the pre-98 F-Body than the LS1 in the 98+ F-Body, simply because (I personnaly prefer the style of the 97 compared to the chrysler-style 98+.

I can always mod my engine, or install a different engine, but there is no cure for ulgy. JMHO
Old 05-20-2005, 11:10 AM

What makes an LS1 better than an LT1?

Obviously better heads...
Different stroke/bore combo(which I think makes for more power imo)
better ignition system
better stock exhaust manifolds and exhaust systems
better intake..especially in regard to heat soak
larger and more aggressive cam compared to an LT1 cam
come with aluminum driveshafts
lighter than LT1's
better differentials

And I am sure I missed many other things...
Old 05-20-2005, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by wlz28
I don't think mod for mod it is faster once you start to go internal. If an LT-1 and an LS-1 have the same flowing heads same cam, ignition, exhaust, etc. Then why would it still be more powerfull??
Well not in specificity to the LS1, but a larger bore would clear the valves more, while a longer stroke would apply more force to the crank... etc, etc. I don't know about the LS1 vs LT1 displacement though. That's a pretty good question IMO. Never really thought about it much, what is the LS1's bore and stroke?
Old 05-20-2005, 01:50 PM

Hey, didn't everyone forget? The LT1 sounds better exhaust-wise then the LS1. I have heard good sounding LS1s, but I hear waaaay more LT1 thats just simply sound BAD@SS in comparison. I think it's something to do with the firing order plus the aluminum block not giving the low rumble that I luv so much! God bless the LT1
Old 05-20-2005, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by wlz28
then why dont I just go ahead and get a dart block and have a 1000hp motor built if your gonna think that way. Yes I agree if you took a lt1 and had it completely changed into and ls-1 through whatever miracle shop you know of them there is reason to believe the ls1 wouldnt be mod for mod faster anymore. I wish my lt1 had 15 degree heads. You sound like the 4.6 mustang guys who try to explain to me how thier car really is "faster" because I have over a liter of displacement on them.

Last edited by BigJustinZ28; 05-20-2005 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by 1redTA
i thought the ls1 had 15* heads? oh well if ls1's are so great how come the faster all motor cars are still lt1's?????????
Ok now I need conformation, i was always under the impression they were 18* heads, if they were 15* heads they would flow alot more I would think (ported ls1 heads)

Quick Reply: What specifically makes the LS1 better than the LT1?