LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What switch won't let the car start when in gear? (A4)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 02:04 PM

What switch won't let the car start when in gear? (A4)

I assume there is a switch somewhere that cuts power to the starter when the car is in any gear except "P". Is there a way to bypass it? I am going to pick up a 700r4 to put in a 95 z28 right now. Madwolf is taking care of the PCM changes for me. Am I going to have trouble with the switch that kills the starter when you are in gear? Is there any other problems I am going to run across?

Also, does anyone have a picture of how the starter is wired? I wiring diagram or an actual picture of it wired up would help.

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 10-10-2003, 02:20 PM

Schematic from my site. You will see the transmission range switch in the schematic. Also sometimes called the park-neutral-position switch.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:16 PM

Thanks a ton. You (and your website) have been a huge help. All of those pictures come in handy when you are putting together a car that was in pieces when you got it.

Where on the car can I find the "transmission range switch" in the wiring diagram?

thanks again,
Dustin
Old 10-10-2003, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by dkeers

Where on the car can I find the "transmission range switch" in the wiring diagram?

thanks again,
Dustin
It's on the side of the shifter. Look to the right of the shifter and see two bolts holding a bracket with the switch under it.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:37 PM

Thanks again. That is exactly what I wanted to know.

Dustin
Old 10-10-2003, 07:10 PM

Question

Now where would the clutch safety switch be located in a manual transmission car?
Old 10-10-2003, 07:37 PM

Down by the clutch petal, slides into a holder.

It's pretty big, mine's a grey switch on either a black or white base. I had to replace the one I was given on the M6 Swap.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:04 PM

Question

Where exactly is it? To the right, left or above the clutch petal (when looking down at the clutch from the drivers seat)? Can someone get me a picture of it while it is still in the car. Also what kind of connection type is it and what does it look like (pics would be nice)? The reason I’m asking is that my car won’t start when I push in the clutch. But if I bypass the safety switch and run a lead from the battery to the starter, the car will start if the key is in the on position.
Old 10-11-2003, 02:00 AM

I can take a pic tomorrow prly, little dark out now,
Old 10-11-2003, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by KrazyKamaro
Where exactly is it? To the right, left or above the clutch petal (when looking down at the clutch from the drivers seat)? Can someone get me a picture of it while it is still in the car. Also what kind of connection type is it and what does it look like (pics would be nice)? The reason I’m asking is that my car won’t start when I push in the clutch. But if I bypass the safety switch and run a lead from the battery to the starter, the car will start if the key is in the on position.
How did you bypass the switch, if you don't know where it is?
Old 10-11-2003, 05:56 PM

I did it by running a lead directally from the starter to the battery.

But if I bypass the safety switch and run a lead from the battery to the starter, the car will start if the key is in the on position.
This bypasses all safety switches . Now I don't want to have to do this every time I start the car. BTW it's parked for the winter so I'm not driving it around and having to start it this way.

Last edited by KrazyKamaro; 10-11-2003 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:04 AM

Question

Any pics or at least a detailed description of where it is located
Old 10-12-2003, 11:35 AM

I guess I misinterpreted your bypass statement. You are bypassing a lot of things when you jump a cable to the starter.

The clutch switch is on the clutch pedal bracket. Shouldn't be hard to figure out. If you want to bypass the switch, unplug it and jumper across the harness connector.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:46 AM

I don't want to bypass any of my safety switches. I just want to find out what is wrong with my car. It won’t start when I turn the key, so I have to sorta hotwire it. I think that my clutch safety switch is gone, so that’s why I want to know were it is, and what it looks like.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:56 PM

Now that I have found the dang thing, how would I go about bypassing it (clutch safety switch)? Just bridge the connection that plugs into the switch?

Quick Reply: What switch won't let the car start when in gear? (A4)