LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What a weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 08:13 PM

What a weekend!

This weekend Jet Hot LT's, off road Hooker y-Pipe, and SLP loudmouth, and Taylor OVC wires. Let me say first thanks to Importeater, wouldn't have happened without'em. So yea, we spent HOURS on the driver side which everyone says "just slips in" and we spent about 10 minutes on the passenger side header which people say takes "hours" For EVERYONE wondering the jet Hot Long tubes, Jet Hot Y-pipe (no cats), and SLP loudmouth ALL bolt upto each other and fit perfectly 100% without any modification. The Taylor OVC wire kit is was obnoxious though, why do they give you boots made for a smaller wire, it was insane! But it was done. Thanks to everyone who helped me, now its off to the dyno!
Old 11-02-2003, 08:28 PM

Are all the header flange bolts able to be tightened, because the pictures I've seen of Jet-Hots look like some of the bolts would be impossible to get in.
Old 11-02-2003, 09:12 PM

Yeah, mine were like that too, the passenger side slid in about 10mins. while the driver side was crazy and took like an hour, and all the bolts were able to be tighten, although some were hard to either tighten fully or get started.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:10 PM

What size wire did they give you boots for and what wire were you using?
Old 11-02-2003, 10:56 PM

Re: What a weekend!

Originally posted by NVetro
.... we spent HOURS on the driver side which everyone says "just slips in" and we spent about 10 minutes on the passenger side header which people say takes "hours" For EVERYONE wondering the jet Hot Long tubes, Jet Hot Y-pipe (no cats), and SLP loudmouth ALL bolt upto each other and fit perfectly 100% without any modification.
Man, you definetly had better luck than I on the passanger side! I had to undo the motor mount, raise the engine about 8" and then slip the tube in. It took about 4 hours... two of which was spent trying to tighten the f$%#'n rearmost passanger side bolt (which still is not as tight as I want it )
On the flip side, I did get my drivr side tube in in under 10 minutes . I didn't assemble the two halves of the pipe until after it was slipped into place.
I also had NO luck getting my y-pipe, headers, and cat-back to mesh. That required an hour of fabrication at a local shop to modify that nutroll.

You should enjoy them. I do now that I've gotten all the bugs worked out. It really made a difference in the upper RPM band. It also added quite a lot more "bark" to the exhaust as well.

Schantin
1997 Camaro Z28
Old 11-03-2003, 06:38 AM

Yep all my bolts are 100% TIGHT, im sure they will back out after a few heat cycles but we will see. THe Y-pipe jet hot sells is a 3" and comes in 3 peices, in order toget the driver side on (Because it will hit the trans brace bu the collector, my buddy and I HAD to put a pray bar between the driver side header and body and and torque the header down, this caused the Y pipe on the driver side to bolt up berfect. Its SO snug agianst the trans brace that its not gonna rattle hehe. THe SLP loudmouth, I was surprices bolted up fine, I was very happy. I mite have to get the y-pipe to ipipe exhaust pipe welded to be safe. As for the taylor OVC wire kit. The wires are normal 8mm *have to crimp etc..* but the boots seem to be like 6mm or even smaller! we had to put silicone spray on them just to get them on, it was SO hard to get them onto the opti also. They need to do something about that. But in the end i love the sound! I will get some sound clips one day and some pics. Anyone else have any questions?
Old 11-03-2003, 06:49 AM

You will get some false knock from that y-pipe hitting on the trans brace. Also those boots are made to be tight so you dont get any moisture in fromthe wire side. Usually after you get 2 or 3 boots done they go easier.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:00 AM

It wasn't easy at all Getting the boot on the wires wasn't as hard as getting that boot those last 2 inches to the opti! It was hell! Im gonna throw datamaster on her to see if I get any false knock. That Y-pipe is wedged pretty dam hard, I drove home like 110 miles and I didn't hear it knocking around at all.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:14 AM

F*** LONGTUBES!!! Nick, you didnt tell them we had to drop the K-member to get the drivers side in!!!!! I have muscles hurting that I didnt even know existed!! I think my ear lobes are sore even!
Old 11-03-2003, 09:20 AM

hahaha Craig, yea my hands look like a cat attacked me. Between you hitting me with wrenches and the car being difficult im surprised i drove it home Your ear lobes hurt cus it sounds loud BTW all, dont forget to reconnect your altinator power connector, the car will only make it about 45miles doing about 80 mph before it dies :-D
Old 11-03-2003, 10:22 AM

Cool NVetro, glad you got them installed! I spent 5hrs working on my Jet-Hot LT install over the weekend and was able to get both manifolds and the factory dual-cat y-pipe removed. It wasn't really that hard, just time consuming. Thank God for PB Blaster, that stuff works wonders on rusty bolts. I'm going to spend some time cleaning up the engine bay and surrounding areas (as well as relocate some wires) before I put my LTs in - just because I'm ****.

Post some pics...
Old 11-03-2003, 11:20 AM

good deal man, when i did mine i did the BMR K-member at the same time so both sides slid right in with absolutely no problems

I like the way it sounds LT's ORY and LM oh yeah

if anyone wants to hear my setup (jet-hot coated Hooker LT's, IRS OR y-pipe and LM catback) go to this link http://www.unrealhp.com/gir/gir100703.html
its the 1st video on that page top left corner, you cant hear the Mustang and dont give me **** about my screwing up the 2-3 shift

Last edited by simple; 11-03-2003 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:26 AM

Yea we broke all the bolts to the old exhaust (except the exhaust manifold to head bolts), we droped the one Y pipe and cat pipe down in like 10 min, it just fell haha.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:42 AM

Hey Nick, notice everyone who says they have no problems are all on 97's How about the Camaro that stopped in.. *drewl*

Last edited by importeater; 11-03-2003 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:25 PM

I'd take that multi color mystic type 97 TA over that ls1 crap

Quick Reply: What a weekend!