LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Heatmaker
oh your 18 hungh?

Stay with the V6... you'll shoot yer eye out kid.
I had the V6 at 18, and looking back on how I totaled it, I wish I had the Z, cause it has the limited slip and I would have made that corner.

That's not to say I wouldn't have wrecked the Z from other foolishness if it was my first car though.

Last edited by Craddock; 05-10-2007 at 06:39 AM.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Originally Posted by Craddock
I had the V6 at 18, and looking back on how I totaled it, I wish I had the Z, cause it has the limited slip and I would have made that corner.

That's not to say I wouldn't have wrecked the Z from other foolishness if it was my first car though.
I ment to say 16 you'll shoot your eye out... at 18 you should be looking for a good car to pick up chicks in.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:07 AM

lol this is exactly true with me as well. now that im 20 and have bills and such i have grown more responsible by far but still mess around here and there for shi*s and giggles. but real talk that shop probably saw that u were 16, thought you were the average not know it all about cars, and put bs into your head kid. they may have even given you a overestimated price. stick with your original plan unless for some reason your not able to and then get a lt1, ls1, or 99+4.6 when you can

Last edited by oneclean97z; 05-10-2007 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by -SLEEPER-
Yea Im only 16 and I plan on doing the work myself (with the help of my dad of course). I just went to the shop for parts..I know I couldnt afford to pay a shop to do the whole swap...that would be a ridiculous price...but Im leaning more towards keepeing the V6 as a DD and buying an LT1 or LS1 car after I save up a little longer...thanks for the help...and I have my dads mustang to keep me content for awhile
get a v8 camaro/firebird or whatever and get on your parents insurance, it will be way cheaper. Just dont screw up, youll cost them money which will inturn hurt you !
Old 05-10-2007, 01:33 PM

I wish I had the Z, cause it has the limited slip and I would have made that corner.
What corner?

details
Old 05-10-2007, 02:06 PM

i hate to tell you but a open rear end will take corners better .you just have to learn when to give gas .the v6 f-body handle far better than the v8 (i know i have both in 95's) .200 lbs lighter on the front end.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by er-z
i hate to tell you but a open rear end will take corners better .you just have to learn when to give gas .the v6 f-body handle far better than the v8 (i know i have both in 95's) .200 lbs lighter on the front end.
You aren't right in the head. Yes it may be lighter, but you also have to account for more understeer w/ a long wheel base, underpowered car. I can only imagine that is what the guy is talking about when "taking" a corner, instead of being able to whip the back end out he plowed into it...
Besides that the Z28 has stiffer springs for the heavier engine as well as stiffer shocks, so on and so forth. Not sure but it might even have thicker front/rear sway bars.
My 3rd gen V6 was a pile of poo to take corners until I upgraded to RS suspension.

Last edited by SS RRR; 05-10-2007 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by '94 Bad A Z28
My Camaro only coasts me $90/month for full coverage... and I have a horrible driving record, if you can't afford that then you definitely can not afford to mod your car and afford all the little coasts that go along with it, you know like replacing broken parts.

$110 a month for liability only.... sucks horrible. Clean driving record, never been pulled over. Apparently insurance companies frown on a 19yr old with z28. No matter the price, you'll pay to have your fun though!
Old 05-10-2007, 11:53 PM

Ttt
Old 05-11-2007, 01:04 AM

Yeah, no kidding on insurance differences by location. When I moved up here to NY from PA, I had a 92 Blazer at the time and PA insurance on it was 90 a month for liability and dropped to 48 a month for liability.

Now for my Z, it costs me about 42 a month for full coverage w/ glass and 500 deductibles. I have it insured with my Hyundai as being listed primary transportation which is also like 40 a month for it.

I'm married, just turned 25, and I have renter's insurance through them as well (funny, which actually lowered my insurance bill cheaper than without having the renter's insurance.)

My agent also suggested I take a defensive driver's class and bring the proof into him and he said he could lower my Z to about 38 a month.

Kickass rates if you ask me.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:08 PM

well i can only speak for myself but i did the swap . I have a 1996 maro v6 and swaped it fro an lt1 . had no problems in doing it took 2 days . the install is fairly easy . get the gm harness hook it all up to the engine then leave the pcm connector off . slip the whole thing under the car . then your done . reliablty hasnt changed.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:38 PM

I think the swap is a great idea. Youll have less money in an LT1 v6 car than a real Z28 after about a year of paying full coverage insurance.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:44 PM

Those are good rates...I live in Illinois and liability is $54 a month for me and thats with the V6...I dont really know what it would be with a Z28 or any other V8 car...somehow my insurance is quite a bit lower than some other kids at my school that drive 4 cylinder ricers lol