LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Whats better and whats quieter- Resonator or Cone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 10:28 PM

Whats better and whats quieter- Resonator or Cone?

Would a dynamax resonator be less restrictive and quiet up the exhaust more than dynatech cones? Those cone inserts that u can stick at the end of each header or at the end of a ypipe..

It'd be a 3 inch cone or resonator...

Cars way to loud with borla, LTs, Cam, 3 inch ORP. and has that nasty *** rasp..

Ive already got some good comments come to me about the 3inch cone inserts.. just seeing if anyones got comments on like a resonator.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:30 PM

Ohhh yeah. Good one my man. I was gonna post this and forgot. I'd like to know to cause I just removed my catz and its loud as heo.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:35 PM

Why don't you just plate off the borla partly. The muffler on the borla is still very free flowing. Thats why it's adjustable like that

I have a dynomax bullet, did the trick for me. No it did not quiet it down very much at all. It's somewhere in between the cat and the ORP volume wise, closer to the ORP. It helped on the rasp, with the stock cam i was completely happy. Now with a cc502 the rasp has come back ever so slightly, but its still way better than an ORP. I know Gregg 97z was really happy with his cone. But Brettinator got some and then didn't use them, i dunno, i have no experience with the cone.

-brent
Old 12-03-2003, 10:58 PM

Where did you put your bullet mufflers? I've the loudmouth system and want to make it a little less like the name suggests.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:04 PM

I have the smallest open plate in there right now.. opening is about the size of a quarter. and its still loud as hell. SLP loud mouth has nothing on this kinda loud.

Do u think 2 cones, 1 on each header would quiet it up more than 1 cone on the end of the Ypipe or a resinator on the end of the Y pipe or on the I pipe?

U can stick a resinator on the I pipe... or at the end of a ypipe if its custom or if it'll fit...
Old 12-03-2003, 11:10 PM

Bullet ORP

Mine IS my ORP. Its right after the Y. As stated, you should be able to fit one on the I pipe too.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:09 AM

did it quiet it down a lil.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by 94formulabz
No it did not quiet it down very much at all. It's somewhere in between the cat and the straight ORP volume wise, closer to the ORP.
-brent
One of these days when i have a lot of time on my hands (oh wait i do now, my car isn't here though) I will put the straight ORP back in to complete the soundclip comparison. Right now I have Cat and Bullet ORP, but no conventional ORP clips. I already new it sounded like raspy crap, so i didn't put it back in yet just to make a clip and swap it back out.

-brent
Old 12-04-2003, 01:28 PM

Brent... Could u kinda give us an idea on how much quieter it got?

Im glad to see it got rid of the rasp though....
Old 12-04-2003, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by ZDriver96

Do u think 2 cones, 1 on each header would quiet it up more than 1 cone on the end of the Ypipe or a resinator on the end of the Y pipe or on the I pipe?
Since you have LT's I think two cones, one in each header, would be your best bet. If you get two you can always try using just one after the y and see how it sounds then try one in each header and see what you like best. If I had LT's I would use two for less backpressure.

For people wondering how much the cone quiets the exhaust, its still really close to an ORP in sound volume, not close to a cat at all. What it does though is cancell out a lot of the nasty sounds like the popping/crackling on decelleration and it takes out the thumping sound that you get when accelerating under load from low-mid rpms. Both of those sounds I hated with the ORP. It still sounds more like an ORP in overall loudness, just takes out the ugly sounds. That's the best I can explain it. I like the single cone (in my ORP) much better than just the straight ORP.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by ZDriver96
Brent... Could u kinda give us an idea on how much quieter it got?
AHHHHH that was what i was trying to explain above. It is very hard to say exactly how it compares in loudness. The sound is so much better that it's much less offensive to the ear and therefore stands out less. If you really want me to put a number on it, i'd say it's 80% of the volume increase associated with going from a high flow cat -> ORP.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/b/m/bmz107/exhaust/
In that folder there are clips of the cat vs the bullet, but none of the straight ORP. BulletORP1.mpg is taken from the same perspective as WithCat1.mpg, same with 2 and 3.

I'll try to get my ears recalibrated along with my SOTP meter I'll make an effort over christmas to get some stright ORP clips made so people can really hear how much it helped. I don't think the recording/replaying process does it justice though. Its just he microphone on a digital still camera, not even a video camera so it doesn't pick up all the nice low frequencies.

-brent
Old 12-10-2003, 11:03 AM

Just so I have this straight, you have a bullet AND a cat right?

So it goes LT-> Y-pipe -> High flow Cat -> Bullet -> catback

Those sound clips with the bullet sound sweet.

Dan
Old 12-10-2003, 01:07 PM

no,
the bullet IS the ORP. It replaces the cat. I have 3 flanged sections.

Cat
conventional straight ORP
Bullet ORP

SLP headers -> ypipe -> one of the three listed above -> SLP2OTL.

I have thought about adding a second bullet in the intermediate pipe though like you kind of said. ypipe-bullet/cat-bullet-2OTL.

Thanks.

-brent