LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What's louder: SLP 2otl, or Hooker cat-back

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by scoobysnax83
See, I told you it would **** you off.

I do have an exhaust leak and thats a good call on your side. Anyway, its all opinions and I don't agree with yours and you don't agree with mine. Lets just leave it at that...
I wasn't pissed

I think the issue is that we are both making correct observations but the reality is that the catback will create a different sound on a different car. The sound is dependant on a lot more than just the catback, so conflicting reports of the sound/tone are going to happen. It must be more noticable in the 2OTL because there are so many different descriptions of the sound. Most people say it's really deep and rumbly, but I think it sounds different on my car and stereomandan seems to have the same observations on the cars he's heard.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:41 PM

I love my 2OTL... sounds fabulous.. however if you're not to big on the 2 pipes exiting on the left.. then GMMG all the way! if you have the money that is!
Old 03-27-2004, 04:55 AM

Originally posted by Achilles97
I wasn't pissed

I think the issue is that we are both making correct observations but the reality is that the catback will create a different sound on a different car. The sound is dependant on a lot more than just the catback, so conflicting reports of the sound/tone are going to happen. It must be more noticable in the 2OTL because there are so many different descriptions of the sound. Most people say it's really deep and rumbly, but I think it sounds different on my car and stereomandan seems to have the same observations on the cars he's heard.
very good point and I think you're 100% right. I can't wait till my stinking Headers come in from Jet-Hot so I can see what it sounds like afterwards...
Old 03-27-2004, 10:55 AM

Ok, besides the last few posts saying that Hooker is louder, I think I'm going to go w/ the slp 2otl. However, my next question is, where should I buy it? Where did you guys buy it at, price, and does anyone want to sell theirs to me?
Old 03-27-2004, 11:10 AM

I bought my 2OTL from the local dealer. I saved so much on shipping that the total cost was less than Fasttoys.
EVERYONE comments positively on the sound my car makes. They all think "muscle car" instantly. This may also be why the little Mustang boys won't race me - I can't get a race for any amount of trying around here. I think they scare easily......
Old 03-27-2004, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by Vader
I bought my 2OTL from the local dealer. I saved so much on shipping that the total cost was less than Fasttoys.
EVERYONE comments positively on the sound my car makes. They all think "muscle car" instantly. This may also be why the little Mustang boys won't race me - I can't get a race for any amount of trying around here. I think they scare easily......
no $hit, me neither. No one pulls up next to me. Well, a new 350Z tried, but that was just foolish...
Old 03-27-2004, 12:06 PM

Yeah, I had a Monte Carlo SS buzz by me and when I came back around next to him, he quickly cuts someone off to get into the left turn lane to get away from me Never had that happen before.

I also had a few girls yell to me from their car. They said "Can I have your car?" First time that ever happened too.

Fun stuff.

Dan
Old 03-27-2004, 12:17 PM

I bought my car with a 2OTL on it. I hated the way it looked, thinking I was gonna swap something else on immediately. The second the previous owner started it, I changed my mind

Oh, and 2OTL sounds AWESOME with an open cutout... I have a high quality 10mb video [of my car] if anyone wants to see it I just dont know where to host it.

Last edited by JoeliusZ28; 03-27-2004 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-27-2004, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by JoeliusZ28
I bought my car with a 2OTL on it. I hated the way it looked, thinking I was gonna swap something else on immediately. The second the previous owner started it, I changed my mind

Oh, and 2OTL sounds AWESOME with an open cutout... I have a high quality 10mb video [of my car] if anyone wants to see it I just dont know where to host it.
send it to me I'll host it

owend@hqmc.usmc.mil
Old 03-27-2004, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by scoobysnax83
send it to me I'll host it

owend@hqmc.usmc.mil
Appears its too big of a file for comcast email

its 10.1mb... it wouldnt surprise me if 10 is the limit

Ill edit the video in a sec and chop off the useless ending.
Old 03-27-2004, 05:02 PM

Ok, you should have it now

The only thing that video doesnt get across is how loud the open cutout is
Old 03-27-2004, 05:13 PM

How would having a cut out open make the 2OTL sound good? Nothing would go through the muffler, just out the cutout

Anyway, my friend came over this afternoon, and we put out cars next to each other and let them idle. We both agreed that my Hooker and his 2OTL were too similar at idle to know which was louder. Then I got in and revved them both, and he said my Hooker was definitely louder. He then got in and revved them both, and I agree, my Hooker is definitely louder, while they both sound about the same in tone. It wasn't a huge difference, but it was definitely noticable.

Like I said in my earlier post, he has SLP 1 3/4 shorty headers and a gutted cat, and I have stock manifolds with an ORP.
Old 03-27-2004, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by a walker
How would having a cut out open make the 2OTL sound good? Nothing would go through the muffler, just out the cutout
exhaust still goes through the muffler... probably almost as much as what goes through the cutout because it doesnt have to turn to go through the muffler.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:35 AM

Originally posted by a walker

Anyway, my friend came over this afternoon, and we put out cars next to each other and let them idle. We both agreed that my Hooker and his 2OTL were too similar at idle to know which was louder. Then I got in and revved them both, and he said my Hooker was definitely louder. He then got in and revved them both, and I agree, my Hooker is definitely louder, while they both sound about the same in tone. It wasn't a huge difference, but it was definitely noticable.

Like I said in my earlier post, he has SLP 1 3/4 shorty headers and a gutted cat, and I have stock manifolds with an ORP.
Now this is the kind of post that people should pay attention too. The difference from one to the other is probably not going to be real noticeable. That's the thing about cat-back systems in general on our cars (most sound fairly similar to each other in tone, except say a Borla vs Flowmaster). So just get the one that appeals to you the most in regards to appearance, quality, volume, and price.

BTW, your Hooker was a little louder because you aren't running a cat. If your buddy had an off-road pipe too, his 2OTL would be every bit as loud if not louder since he also has headers...

Mike
Old 03-28-2004, 04:04 AM

Originally posted by 2002LS1Z28
BTW, your Hooker was a little louder because you aren't running a cat. If your buddy had an off-road pipe too, his 2OTL would be every bit as loud if not louder since he also has headers...

Mike

You must have not noticed that he has a gutted cat, while I actually had my cat removed and an ORP installed.

Quick Reply: What's louder: SLP 2otl, or Hooker cat-back