LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What's Wrong With These Times???

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
"bigger is better" mentality on the valves suiggests the heads are probably blindly enlargered.
Accel opti shows a complete lack of research blindly buying on brand.
Adjustable regulator shows a lack of understanding as to what such things are for.

Low compression with a cam that is a bad choice even if he had choosen appropriate duration, "latest and greatest" marketting campaign means it must be the best right?
Race gas on an engine that is the same compression as the stock LT4 from GM, again complete lack or research or understading.

1.5 rockers on a cam specifically designed for 1.6s, but yeah needed those big valves that was a better choice than using the lift he should have had.

"shelled 3 4L60Es", the 4L60e will survive in a 9 second 4000+lbs car but he couldn't get them to work in a 13 second car????? Something very wrong there, a bone stock tranny should have been fine. The M6 will "shell" axles instead, solved a lot there.

I do think there are pretty good gains to be had in tinkering at this point, but the build is still a trainwreck.

Uh... Who asked you?
The reason i posted in the first place was to figure out what i did wrong, and what to do to fix it. I don't need some f-ing jerk to rip it apart. If you had something constructive to say that would be one thing. Instead, you just want to tell me how "in over my head" i am. **** You! Why would you even post such dumb *** replies. The "trainwreck" is a work in progress. I did what i could with what i could afford at the time. Sorry i couldn't throw $10-12k at my engine and get it write the first time. Go **** yourself!
Old 12-21-2008, 07:09 PM

There is the thing, a $3000 topend would have put you further ahead of where you are now. No need to spend $10K on an engine ro run 12s even.

The problem can't be fixed till you can see it is MUCH bigger than a crossed pair of plug wires or something.

Far as who asked me, you posted on a public forum I am an active and member on so why would I not reply??
You are far from the first to be offended by my input most here will say the details in my sig suggest I might know a thing or two. A handful of guys who I have told things just like I have told you have come to really respect my input and now PM me before even posting on forum even when their initial response was exactly the same as yours.

Sometimes the best thing you can do is step back and take a long hard look at things.

Lingenfelter put a 211/219 cam in some of their strokers and guys ran 11s and 12s with them, others are using mid 220s cams in strokers and running 11s one is even chasing 10s. Yes the cam you choose was a little small but to blame it the way some of these guys want to wont help you, the problem is bigger than the cam.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:39 AM

it sounds like you have alot of good parts on your car,and i do agree with Dwayne on the fact that the cam may not be the problem.i would try a good tune,1.6rr and see what happens,you may get what you looking for and save yourself alot of time.good luck on your build and dont give up!!
Old 12-22-2008, 10:40 AM

oh and try to get some better exhaust,good headers and some duels will help you out as well
Old 12-22-2008, 10:49 AM

I never once thought it was something small. A cam is a pretty big thing to screw up. Compared to most setups, i think it is small. So, instead of telling me stuff i already know, why don't you tell me what should be done to fix it? The bottom end is solid. Intake was ported for the 58mm TB and gasket matched. Heads are stock and all i did was gasket match them and clean up the pockets from where i put in new valve seats. I didn't go hogging out all the metal. As for the six speed, like i said, I'm not so much worried about the track times, its all i have to compare with though. The six speed is more fun to drive. I haven't had it on a dyno so i don't know real numbers. Suspension, gears, A4, 3000 stall.... Yeah that stuff would all make my car faster in the 1/4 mile. I would rather fix the engine first. I'm not in over my head, but i do need some help. So, don't keeping saying the same stuff, and offer some good advice.

If you have any specific questions about what i did when i built it just ask. I already know its not as powerful as it should be and i accept the fact that its probably something huge. But i don't yet know exactly what it is. You tell me.....

The accel opti i bought because it came with the 300+ ignition and coil. I haven't had any problems with it yet so i don't think it was a bad purchase. Aren't adjustable fuel pressure regulators for compensating for bigger injectors and fuel pump? I didn't grind all the metal out of my heads like some do. Just gasket matching. I picked the wrong cam... Huge mistake. As far as the rockers go, its what i had at the time. I know what race gas is for, i know i don't need it, but i had a can in my garage and mixed it with what i had in my tank. It can't hurt.... The 4L60Es where not built by any means. The stock one lasted well over 100k and only went bad because a piece inside broke, supposedly due to manufacturer defect, and starved the forward clutches of fluid. The other 2 were built by the same guy, and i basically got hosed by him.

So, with that said. What do you think i should do?
Old 12-22-2008, 11:26 AM

read my above posts lol,the 6speed swap was the best thing you could do in my opinion.just try the tune and rockers and if that dont do it then try a cam swap.the cc306 is a good cam but the gm847 is to.plus it wont be as nasty sounding in your 383 as would be in the everyday stock cube lt1.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by 83tpi_3rd-gen(sri)
read my above posts lol,the 6speed swap was the best thing you could do in my opinion.just try the tune and rockers and if that dont do it then try a cam swap.the cc306 is a good cam but the gm847 is to.plus it wont be as nasty sounding in your 383 as would be in the everyday stock cube lt1.
I read them and let me know what you think? I have pacesetter long tubes with and off-road y pipe, no cats, and one of those junk flowmasters. Do you think that flowmaster is hurting me?

I've read a little about the 847 cam. Do you think it would be a better choice than the 306? From what i've read its usually a love hate situation.

As for what's next, I am going to swap the cam with something a little bigger, add 1.6 roller rockers, and get a dyno tune. Does it sound like i'm headed in the right direction?
Old 12-22-2008, 12:00 PM

i think so,either above mentioned cam would be a good choice.but id also send your heads off and have them ported right,that where your more than likely loosing your wanted power.lloyd elliot has done many heads for me and i've never been disapointed with the performance or price.id also ditch the pacesetters for some LPP stepped headers and some true duels.just be ready to replace a rear end when your all done with it cause it will make power,with the cam swap and the heads and exhaust swap i dont see why it couldnt make 400+rwhp easily through the 6 speed.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:24 PM

Thanks man. How much does it usually cost to get a set ported?
Old 12-22-2008, 02:17 PM

depends on how good you want to go,here is a link to his website.it has his number and email so you can get ahold of him,he is one of the nicest guys you'll ever talk to so dont be shy in asking him questions lol.

http://www.elliottsportworks.com/
Old 12-22-2008, 05:35 PM

What is your fuel pressure under load?
What is your vacuum reading at startup? Idle?
Are you getting knock?
Have you data logged it?

IMHO, you need to do all the above before you drop another dime into the engine, heads, etc.

From my understanding of vacuum, this is a most valuable tool in looking at the health of an engine.....this is why I keep asking for it.....

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm
Old 12-22-2008, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by nhill_05
......and one of those junk flowmasters. Do you think that flowmaster is hurting me?
I have one of those junk flowmasters(fitment is terrible...but I like the sound) and have run a best of 8.6 in the 1/8 with the stock 350, cold air induct, and flowmasters catback(consistant 8.7). I don't think that is your problem.....unless the exhaust is severely clogged.....

I have not been back to that track with my CC503, but compared against my drop in times at Farmington, I should be running 8.2-8.4.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:54 PM

how much money are you wanting to drop right now?
IMO the heads are the restriction starving the engine, the cam you have will suffice with those gears and should get you to mid-high12s with tweaking. Since you have a six speed, the gm847 be nice but lag with 3.42 and as someone stated increasing compression for the larger cam.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by nhill_05
Uh... Who asked you?
Out of curiosity and I'm not sure if this has been asked yet, what kind of elevation are you running at? What city do you live in?
Old 12-23-2008, 09:08 AM

Elevation is about 900ft. I live in missouri near kansas city. I raced at kcir.

Quick Reply: What's Wrong With These Times???