LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

When will us A4 guys get to have a REAL shifter

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 03:53 PM

I never said manually DOWNSHIFTING wouldn't hurt it. Manually upshifting won't. Manually downshifting can also break the lugs off the overrun part of the input sprag.

As a side not, the 700(4L60) and the 4L60E use the same shift detents, so the same shifter will work with either one.

Frank
Old 05-16-2003, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by Timberwolf
there are a lot of guys using a B&M Megashifter right with the stock console. look pretty cool IMO. Do a search for megashifter and you will find pictures. Personally I'm pulling my console completely along with parking brake and all that stuff and going with just a megashifter...but then my car is going more towards full race
The Megashifter isn't a very good choice for a full race shifter. It's a ratchet shifter, not a positive gate shifter like the Pro Stick is. I've seen waaaaaay too many broken Megashifters over the years. The ratchet mechanism in them fail over time. This makes it very possible to shift past 4th, and nuetral, into reverse. I don't think I'd want to take that ride. Of course one of my customers had a Hurst Quarter Stick (gate type) go through neutral on the big end and sent his car barrel rolling 4 times when it went into reverse. He got a broken neck out of it and swore he'd never buy another Hurst shifter.

Frank
Old 05-16-2003, 04:12 PM

I was under the impression that the computer would shift faster than you could manually, so it is pointless to shift?
Old 05-16-2003, 07:29 PM

LOL...Yea, but some people feel better when they can control the shifts.
I do manually shift my 700, but to be honest the car runs about the same both ways.
For all those interested, I've seen you mention Dirks (RACINLT1) name a few times. I built his 4L60E and his car goes 11.2's in drive.

Frank
Old 05-16-2003, 08:34 PM
Banned

Originally posted by 12SCNDZ
I never said manually DOWNSHIFTING wouldn't hurt it. Manually upshifting won't. Manually downshifting can also break the lugs off the overrun part of the input sprag.

As a side not, the 700(4L60) and the 4L60E use the same shift detents, so the same shifter will work with either one.

Frank

thank you, i knew i wasn't crazy. a few people said "its fine" to do that
Old 05-16-2003, 08:40 PM

A real shifter denotes a real transmission.

I'm keeping my stock one until I get my TH400, then I can get my ratchet shifter.
Old 05-18-2003, 06:31 PM

yes i have the B&M Pro Stick in my STOCK console,without HACKING it up.
Check the links for pictures. I wanted a different shifter to match the "look/feel" of my car,and since i was going race buckets/rollbar/already had the welds,the stock shifter looked out of place.

It took some fabricating,and a little creative wiring so the pcm would know when it was in park. The wiring isnt that hard,just needs a momentary contact switch for when it is in park,and we used a Haynes manual to get the wiring right.

I will be swapping to a full manual 700r4 trans here very soon,and eventually going to a TH400,and i already have the shifter.
Old 06-04-2003, 01:25 PM

One good reason to shift manually.... autocrossing. I need a way to shift WITHOUT missing a gear (or overshooting a gear). I used a B&M Quicksilver (I believe that's what it was) in my '70 Firebird with my TH400. It was perfect for that. I could bang up or down and never had to worry about going too far with it. Things are happening too quick in an autocross to have to worry about getting in the wrong gear.

But if I'm hearing correctly, the B&M Megashifter will work. Am I Correct???
Old 06-04-2003, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by bruecksteve
One good reason to shift manually.... autocrossing. I need a way to shift WITHOUT missing a gear (or overshooting a gear). I used a B&M Quicksilver (I believe that's what it was) in my '70 Firebird with my TH400. It was perfect for that. I could bang up or down and never had to worry about going too far with it. Things are happening too quick in an autocross to have to worry about getting in the wrong gear.

But if I'm hearing correctly, the B&M Megashifter will work. Am I Correct???
I've been wondering about an auto shifter for this reason myself. Sure would appreciate finding something that helps out on those lapping and autox days.