LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Where is the balancing mark on the stock flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 10:50 AM

Where is the balancing mark on the stock flywheel?

I have been told that you need to align the balancing mark on the pressure plate(white or yellow dot) with the balancing mark on the flywheel.

I have no problem finding the balancing mark on the pressure plate but cannot find the balancing mark on the flywheel. My flywheel has been turned once.

I am doing a new clutch and have been told that aligning the two balance marks is important.

Can someone give me a idea of what the balance mark on the flywheel looks ike and if it is on the back or the front.

Thanks
Shawn
Old 10-06-2003, 10:55 AM

Hmm...when I did my spec stage II clutch, I had my flywheel resurfaced, and just slapped it on along with the PP. Did not realize there were any marks to line up. Didn't notice any marks on either the PP or flywheel either. Didn't have any problems with it after the install. If you think about it, I dont understand why you would have to line up anything with the PP and flywheel. The flywheel is going to be rotating and the PP is stationary. Maybe what you have been told or what they ment is that the flywheel needs to be balanced to avoid vibrations.

Aaron
Old 10-06-2003, 11:07 AM

I really think most people on this borad don't know **** when it comes to this kind of stuff.

I have been told the flywheel needs to be balance, I have been told they don't i have been told you need to have the pressure plate flywheel balanced as an assembly. I have been told you don't. I have been told you there are marks to line up on the flywheel and the pressure plate. And now i have been told you don't do that either.

I wish someone could just give me a straight answer.

Thanks
Shawn
Old 10-06-2003, 01:10 PM

I put my flywheel back on the same way it came off by lining upt the hole in it with the dark spot on the crank-dark from being under the hole. Don't know if it matters or not but didn't want to find out.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:17 PM

Normally the pressure plate is neutral balanced. It doesn't matter which way you bolt it on.

The flywheel on the other hand is counter-balanced for the engine and can only go on one way because of the locating dowel pin.

I've done quite a few clutches for LT-1's and other engines and never had to worry about which way the pressure plate goes on.

-Dave C. '97 Z28

PS: 94 Camro Z28: The pressure plate is not stationary..it rotates with the flywheel.

Last edited by Dave C. '97 Z28; 10-06-2003 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:31 PM

Well the crank has a dowel pin sticking out of it so the flywheel can onlly go on one way. What i have been told is that there is a balance mark on the flywheel somewhere that you have to line up with a balance mark on the pressure plate. I have noticed the pressure plat has little balancing holes drilled in the ede of it so it wold seem that it would need to be balanced with the flywheel unless it is neautrally balanced.

The pressure plate has a white paint dot on it that indicates the balance mark. The old stock pressure plate has the same white dot in the same place. I can only assume this must be the balance mark.

My haynes manual says that the pressure plate is usually marked with a white lettter. I figure this is close enough. Is says the pressure plate is usually makred with a "X" but i see nothing. I have had it resurfaced so it might have ben shaved away if it was in the face of the flywheel.

Someone has to know.

Thanks
Shawn