LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Where is my coolant going?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 07:21 AM

Where is my coolant going?

Im going to try to expain everything thats going on with my car so I can get the best feed back possible so this might be a little long.

Ive been over sea's for 90 days and my car pretty much just sat the whole time. When I got back I noticed some milky white stuff all over the inside of my oil filler neck. I cleaned it up but it keeps coming back.

I also have an issue with my coolant. Im filling my radiator up at least once a day. Anywhere from half a gallon to a full gallon of watter.

I have no visable leeks, and no puddles of water under my car to indicate that I have a leek. Just missing watter.

Car idles a little rough.

I think im smelling fuel in my oil but can be sure. But I know that the oil doesn't look thick like it sould and that the level of the oil is higher then last week. Last week I noticed I was low on oil. So I added a half qt. to bring it up to the right level. Yesterday I checked the oil stick and noticed it looked like the level of oil on the oil stick was higher then when I last checked it. Thats when I smelled it and to me smells like fule in my oil.

Also the oil on my oil stick looks clean, no milky stuff like that in my oil filler neck.

I was thinking I had a head gasket going out. Which if it is im going to have to limp around on my motor untill April so I can be able to install my new heads and cam.

On, one last note. Ive been having this problem ever since I bought my car two years ago. But the problem is 100% worse now then it was back then.

Can anyone tell me what the problem might be? Are these issues im having related to one problem like say a head gasket? Or could it be something else.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has helpful information for me!
Old 03-10-2004, 07:25 AM

Sounds like symptoms of a blown head gasket. If you are getting coolant in your oil, you are going to trash the bearings, too. If the coolant level is going down and the oil level is going up, I guess you can figure out where the coolant is going.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:28 AM

That would be my vote too. That stuff has to be going somewhere.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:30 AM

Sounds like someone wanted to get rid of that car for "other reasons." Maybe.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:31 AM

I was going to change my oil to day. Should I fill up a glass with the oil that comes out and let it sit for a while to see if there is a seperation of oil, gas (not sure if gas will seperate from oil) or watter.

I was thinking that the watter might not be reaching my oil pan, because a half a gallon to a gallon of watter a day im loosing cant be going into the oil pan because if it was, the thing would be over filling with water by now. Im just hoping for the best here. I thought the water might be being pushed out the exhust and just being burnt up though my LT's and pushed out my tail pipes. Thats if it is a blown head gasket. If watter is in my oil pan wouldn't I see that milky white stuff on my oil stick too?

Please don't mind my questions, this is the first time ive experianced a problem like this or even heard of this happening so im really wanting to know as much as I can about what might be going on befor I start pulling parts off my car.