LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Who uses Amsoil products?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 08:22 PM

Who uses Amsoil products?

Thinking about switching to their oil and maybe their filter also.Oil is about the same price for what I use now,but the filter is HIGH!May just go the Purolator Pureone route on the filter.Let me know what ya think.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:48 PM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
I've used their oils, and also their oil filters, but not with the LT1. I did buy some of their EaO filters to use on the LT1, but I'm planning to use German Castrol for the oil. When I was driving my car, which was years ago, I always used Mobil 1. I've heard German Castrol works well with the LT1, and it's probably quite a bit cheaper than most of Amsoil's oils. I ran a few of their oils in my 4.7L Grand Cherokee, and had them analyzed afterwards. They performed well, but I eventually settled on German Castrol in that engine as well.

The Amsoil EaO filters are supposedly some of the best oil filters available.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:41 AM

Been using and selling it for years

Once I was able to retail it, I started using it to extend my oil changes. We have minimal stop and go traffic unless the bridge is out so going from 3K to 6K oil changes helps keep me from under the vehicles very often. I will usually order filters with the oil and keep in mind they have a few different filters available.

Most of the time I use a filter available from the local Auto Value wholesaler. Since I have an account and they deliver.

Today's oils are formulated much better than oils of just a few years ago. With the exception of the lack of zinc. For those people that have leaking seals, synthetic can be a nightmare. Whether you use conventional or synthetic, I highly doubt anyone will ever have an oil related failure.

We learned a long time ago from one of my equipment manufacturers that synthetic oils have a much higher temperature at which they begin to break down as compared to conventional oil.

FWIW. Synthetic oil is NOT made in some laboratory. It comes from the ground like any other oil. It's the process it goes through and the additives that make it different from conventional oil.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:23 AM

Sorry, but FWIW most synthetic oils do not come out of the ground, only needing additives to be complete. The are manufactured in chemical plants by polymerizing alpha-olefins of Octene, Decene and Do-Decene. And yes, you're right, both natural and manufactured lubes need special additives to control foaming and other potential problems.

Last edited by NJ-LE; 12-23-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:59 PM

I'm not going to get into the oil debate, some people would kill their mothers if they disagreed about syn vs. dino, viscosity, etc. We are an Amsoil dealer because it's high quality stuff, no cutting corners on additives and it holds up real well. That being said I would not waste money on their filters, use a quality Wix filter which IMO is the best on the market.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:29 AM

That's partly true......

Originally Posted by NJ-LE
Sorry, but FWIW most synthetic oils do not come out of the ground, only needing additives to be complete. The are manufactured in chemical plants by polymerizing alpha-olefins of Octene, Decene and Do-Decene.
There are several groups of synthetic oils... Some of which are purely "lab" content.

The group of lubricants that Mobil 1 and Amsoil is based from highly distilled crude oil.

So in a way, we are both correct.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by speedygonzales
There are several groups of synthetic oils... Some of which are purely "lab" content.

The group of lubricants that Mobil 1 and Amsoil is based from highly distilled crude oil.

So in a way, we are both correct.
Geez, I thought you guys said exactly the same thing.... it comes from crude oil and is highly processed where additives are added.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:02 AM

My statement about the origins of most synthetic lubes was not about which was better ... I used Valvoline for years and then Mobil 1 for years with no lubrication caused problems (with Purolator filters). The statement was only informational because of the misinformation that circulates on the internet and sometimes on the Camaro forum.
The web "oil wars" get very ugly. I'll try to correct the following statement in the friendliest way I can ...
"The group of lubricants that Mobil 1 and Amsoil is based from highly distilled crude oil."
I can't speak for Amsoil (ring compound based esters ?) but having been employed in research and technical support groups for Mobil 1, I can state Mobil 1 is NOT a distilled crude oil product, it is NOT a cut from a crude oil distillation tower. Their "High-Mileage" product (introduced since I left) might possibly be a blend of conventional and synthetic but about that product, I don't know. Whether you believe crude oil based or synthetics are best is a user's decision. The synthetics will lube and protect at higher temps but the conditions that conventional oils fail at are far more extreme than a street or even most track motors will normally experience. Low quality or mis-matched parts choices, poor assembly (wrong clearances, valve timing or lash, dirt), extreme coolant temps, low or starved oil supply, improper fuel delivery (much too low or much too high) are the engine destroyers and no oil, of any origin or birthright can protect your motor for very long from these killers.
Merry Christmas and Happy Motoring!