LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Who's gone from short to long tube headers...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 04:32 PM

Question Who's gone from short to long tube headers...

Who's gone from short to long tube headers? Was it worth it both time and money wise, and would yu do it again?

Thanks,
Old 09-07-2003, 05:36 PM

Been there done that. Started with Hooker shorties and then got a good deal on the jet hot long tubes. The shorties gave me a decent amount of power and they sounded good too, but you can't beat long tubes. I would just spend the money on long tubes because who really wants to do headers twice when you can do it once right?
Old 09-07-2003, 05:45 PM

I am guessing that you already have shorties on your car, and if that is the case, don't bother with the long tubes. Everyone wants long tubes, but not everyone needs them. It will not make too much of a difference in my opinion. Spend the money on something else. Good luck.
Old 09-07-2003, 05:50 PM

The times in my sig are with MAC mid lengths, and full exhaust...With no cutout.

Frank
Old 09-07-2003, 07:03 PM

Gonna have to disagree with Camaro Maniac...
Every camaro can benefit from long tubes.. Stock.... and even more when you have heads/cam, nitrous or forced induction..

I went with SLP shorties the first time. Over time i added a cc305 cam and other little things...
When i switched to Jet hot hooker long tubes and 3inch off road ypipe the car gained 2 more mph with me bogging on the launch, hitting the rev limiter in 1st and being 95 degrees (sunny day) out vs the 85ish (night time) the last time i ran.
I only got 1 run in that day, place was packed...

The best mods for our cars in my opinion are- LS1 brakes, Long tubes, and 32-35mm sway bar (if your not totally into drag racing).
Old 09-07-2003, 07:20 PM

Yes I already have shorties on the car, and I've got over 100K on the dial so no heads and cam for me, don't feel like being forced into a rebuild. Just looking for some more HP, and don't say converter and gears, I'm looking for HP.
Old 09-07-2003, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by ZDriver96
Gonna have to disagree with Camaro Maniac...
Every camaro can benefit from long tubes.. Stock.... and even more when you have heads/cam, nitrous or forced induction..

I went with SLP shorties the first time. Over time i added a cc305 cam and other little things...
When i switched to Jet hot hooker long tubes and 3inch off road ypipe the car gained 2 more mph with me bogging on the launch, hitting the rev limiter in 1st and being 95 degrees (sunny day) out vs the 85ish (night time) the last time i ran.
I only got 1 run in that day, place was packed...

The best mods for our cars in my opinion are- LS1 brakes, Long tubes, and 32-35mm sway bar (if your not totally into drag racing).
so...what did it run?
Old 09-07-2003, 08:23 PM

Only trapped 107mph....
Without hitting the rev limiter i think she could have went 108mph in that heat.
Went to the track that day with a cracked torque arm so i didnt launch it hard hence the bog... pulled a 2.2 60 foot for a 13.5 ET. Could have easily gone sub 2's. The stock LS1 WS6 I ran trapped 101mph at 13.8. was a hot day obviously.

ran a 16g eclipse who traps constant 107mph and pulled him alittle bit through the gears from a roll....

The Z has stock heads... It wont have stock heads long enough to find out what she'd run in cooler degree weather.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:46 PM

Its common sense that LT's are better. And much beefier too. Definitely go with the LT's.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by dynomight
Its common sense that LT's are better. And much beefier too. Definitely go with the LT's.
But is it worth replacing short tubes with long? I have headers on the car now, is it worth it pice and time putting them in wise?
Old 09-07-2003, 08:57 PM

If you are not going to do heads/cam, leave your shorties in there. Like I said before, I really think that it is not worth your time or your money.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by craigffb
But is it worth replacing short tubes with long? I have headers on the car now, is it worth it pice and time putting them in wise?
Thats for you to decide...
Old 09-07-2003, 09:55 PM

Is there any real horsepower gain from switching to longtubes from shorties? I KNOW long tubes are better and will make more Hp. For someone who already has shorties installed on their car, is the power gain enough to go through the time, hassle, and extra $ to install them?
I know the gain from shorties to long tubes is not near as big as the gain from manifolds to shorties, I'm just wondering how much.

Does anyone have this information? Dyno numbers?
Not interested in SOTP impressions.

Thanks.

"Its common sense that LT's are better. And much beefier too. Definitely go with the LT's."

Senseless post man, the question wasn't which are better.
As if he doesn't know which ones are better.

Old 09-07-2003, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by fireman
Is there any real horsepower gain from switching to longtubes from shorties? I KNOW long tubes are better and will make more Hp. For someone who already has shorties installed on their car, is the power gain enough to go through the time, hassle, and extra $ to install them?
I know the gain from shorties to long tubes is not near as big as the gain from manifolds to shorties, I'm just wondering how much.

Does anyone have this information? Dyno numbers?
Not interested in SOTP impressions.

Thanks.

"Its common sense that LT's are better. And much beefier too. Definitely go with the LT's."

Senseless post man, the question wasn't which are better.
As if he doesn't know which ones are better.

Nice inputs fireman. Thanks