LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Who's Running Pacesetter LT's and Hooker Catback?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 07:07 PM

Who's Running Pacesetter LT's and Hooker Catback?

I'm about 99.99% sure I'm going to be ordering Pacesetter Cermaic Coated LT's, Pacesetter ORY, and a Hooker Catback, after my car is fixed. I'm no expert so I have a few questions, espically for those of you running this system. Besides the simple mods I've done to my car, I don't have much experience. I know the header fitment can be a bitch, but I do plan on taking it to an exhaust shop for the install, because I have no where to do it, and don't wanna mess anything up.

When running an ORY, does that mean I have to remove my cat? Because I know they make catted Y's, but have heard they don't flow as well, and the sound isn't as good. Basically I'm asking for an explanation on the differences between the two Y-Pipes. My only other question is how happy are you with the system? I'm looking for a good sound, nothing crazily loud, and a bit more kick then my current stock everything besides a cheap muffler and 4' tips.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:27 PM

Re: Who's Running Pacesetter LT's and Hooker Catback?

I used to have that setup....fairly quiet until you get on it, and the sound is awesome. However, a shop screwed it up completely and it had tons of leaks (due to the shop), so I welded up my own dual system. Go for it, you'll love it. And yes, ORY = no cats.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:54 PM

That was my first mod to my car. It increased the power in the mid and top end of the power band. Power in the lower rpms remained the same. Sound is top notch(Classic V8 Muscle). If your into car stereo now you'll have to get a bigger amp to hear it. Just be ready for the smell if you remove the cats. I had a loss in gas mileage but not sure why.

I had a shop install mine and I'm glad I did because they ran into all kinds of trouble with broken bolts, removing O2 Sensors, and getting the Air Pump system installed. Also the cat back is better if it is welded instead of clamped. I can't weld .
Old 12-27-2005, 08:09 PM

I don't have pacesetters but do have long tubes with no cats and the hooker catback. I absolutly love the way it sounds. Its fairly quiet at crusing RPMs but at WOT it sounds really good. I would buy it again for sure.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:30 PM

Yeah I think I'll be happy with it, from what I've heard and listened to on sound clips and with others who run it, it's perfect for Me. I figure all and all I will spend about 800 bucks on it, with install and everything, but it will be worth it. What did you guys do about 02s? Run different fronts, and sim the rears? I plan on doing tuning after the install, would I be better off just having the rears deleted? If you delete them, do you remove them or just let them hang there?
Old 12-27-2005, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by z280utlaw
Yeah I think I'll be happy with it, from what I've heard and listened to on sound clips and with others who run it, it's perfect for Me. I figure all and all I will spend about 800 bucks on it, with install and everything, but it will be worth it. What did you guys do about 02s? Run different fronts, and sim the rears? I plan on doing tuning after the install, would I be better off just having the rears deleted? If you delete them, do you remove them or just let them hang there?
Might as well put new front GM O2's while your in there. The old ones will be a pain to remove. You can either delete the rears with programming or buy O2 sims. Also you will need to buy O2 extenders. You don't want to cut O2 sensor wires.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:53 PM

You don't have rears if its a 93, the after cat o2's are only on 96 up obdII cars. I have that set up and it sounds badass, it is loud though if you get on it but is quite reasonable at cruising rpm's.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:02 PM

I have that same setup. Idle is really quiet. Once you step on the gas its loud and sounds great. I decided to get this setup because I really like the tips the catback came with.

Rob
Old 12-27-2005, 09:51 PM

Yeah that is another high point for the system. I like the sound of true duels and all that, but I'm weird and can't stand not being able to see the tips of a car. The only catback that comes with better tips is the Corsa, but the price is much higher... the tips alone are like $250 on afterthoughtsauto.com Almost as much as you pay for the whole Hooker catback.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:32 AM

I just got Pacesetter LTs+Ypipe to a Hooker catback. It sounds freakin awsome when you stomp on it, the tips are fairly nice too. Only thing is you may find a few bolts missing and there is no bracket to connect the ypipe to the car underneath. The stock one wont work, you'll have to custom fab one. The gaskets for the headers are fairly hard (mines leaking right now). I've been told soaking them in water overnight can soften them up enough for a good seal (never tried it).
Old 12-28-2005, 04:06 AM

Here is a link to a video of my setup at idle and low rpms (2500): http://media.putfile.com/MovieCar. You can see how quickly the sound increases. Ignore the tap(the reason i made the video). I'll try to get a good vid from behind the car with revving n such when i get the car back from the shop.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:55 AM

I'm about 99.99% sure I'm going to be ordering Pacesetter Cermaic Coated LT's, Pacesetter ORY, and a Hooker Catback, after my car is fixed. I'm no expert so I have a few questions, espically for those of you running this system. Besides the simple mods I've done to my car, I don't have much experience. I know the header fitment can be a bitch, but I do plan on taking it to an exhaust shop for the install, because I have no where to do it, and don't wanna mess anything up.

When running an ORY, does that mean I have to remove my cat? Because I know they make catted Y's, but have heard they don't flow as well, and the sound isn't as good. Basically I'm asking for an explanation on the differences between the two Y-Pipes. My only other question is how happy are you with the system? I'm looking for a good sound, nothing crazily loud, and a bit more kick then my current stock everything besides a cheap muffler and 4' tips.
The ORY does not incorporate catalytic converters and if you did want to use your pre-existing cat., take into account that the Pacesetter exhaust is 3" in diameter as compared to the stock 2.75" Many people incorporate an aftermarket high-flow 3" catalytic converter in their y-pipes.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by wrastler
I just got Pacesetter LTs+Ypipe to a Hooker catback. It sounds freakin awsome when you stomp on it, the tips are fairly nice too. Only thing is you may find a few bolts missing and there is no bracket to connect the ypipe to the car underneath. The stock one wont work, you'll have to custom fab one. The gaskets for the headers are fairly hard (mines leaking right now). I've been told soaking them in water overnight can soften them up enough for a good seal (never tried it).
You need to get the Felpro D port gasket. It wont leak. The pacesetter gasket is no good.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:52 PM

I have that set up, and it seems to me it was more than a $800 project.
heres a break down of mine

425 coated headers
150 y pipe
300 hooker cat back
100 otvc plug wires
20 plugs

These are just rough estimates of prices, but are pretty close once you figure shipping in. Thats with me doing the install. It cost $80 alone for the cat back to be installed the first time, with me helping hold/line up peices at the shop. Also, you said that the cat-less ypipe sounds better? Some people relate gutted/catless y pipes to raspiness. In my opinion a car sounds better with cats then without. I used the header gaskets that came with the headers, and have had no leaking problems with them.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by 1995greenTA
I have that set up, and it seems to me it was more than a $800 project.
heres a break down of mine

425 coated headers
150 y pipe
300 hooker cat back
100 otvc plug wires
20 plugs

These are just rough estimates of prices, but are pretty close once you figure shipping in. Thats with me doing the install. It cost $80 alone for the cat back to be installed the first time, with me helping hold/line up peices at the shop. Also, you said that the cat-less ypipe sounds better? Some people relate gutted/catless y pipes to raspiness. In my opinion a car sounds better with cats then without. I used the header gaskets that came with the headers, and have had no leaking problems with them.
My exhaust system hit about the same price as well, plus an additional 140.00 for the pair of cats. and another 150.00 for a shop to weld them in. Then another 80.00 for a pair of 02 sims. on top of that. It definitely adds up quick.

Quick Reply: Who's Running Pacesetter LT's and Hooker Catback?