LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Why do people stress about premium!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 12:29 PM

Why do people stress about premium!!!

I cant see why people are willing to risk thier LT-1 motor or any motor in general to save 5 or so dollars when they fill up thier gas tank. For me in orlando florida its about $34 to fill up on premium(93 octane) and $30 for regular(87 octane). I just cant bring myself to put my motor on the line to save $4. Any comments?
Old 05-31-2004, 12:33 PM

I couldn't agree more. Last week I saw a beautiful red 98+ Ram Air pull into a speedway for gas. I don't understand it. I've seen Porsche 911's pull into speedway for gas and I wanna get out and yell at these people. You know right then and there they are just driving it to look cool, couldn't care less about the car. Only Amoco 93 for me.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:26 PM

I hate to break it to you, but most all gas comes from the same pipeline. Individual companies put their additives in when the gas is transferred into a tanker truck. Besides, speedway 93 is better for a car then amoco 87, dont ya think?
Old 05-31-2004, 01:31 PM

my car runs great on Cam2

j/p
Old 05-31-2004, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by BackInBlackZ28
I hate to break it to you, but most all gas comes from the same pipeline. Individual companies put their additives in when the gas is transferred into a tanker truck. Besides, speedway 93 is better for a car then amoco 87, dont ya think?
Most speedways around here dont even HAVE premium...just 87 and 91.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:51 PM

citco here...91 preminum is good..its clean for the injectors
Old 05-31-2004, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by BackInBlackZ28
I hate to break it to you, but most all gas comes from the same pipeline. Individual companies put their additives in when the gas is transferred into a tanker truck.
In most places, true, but it is their additives that tend to make a difference in the gas. My friend's dad is a mechanic at a Corvette shop and was telling me some stories about fuel problems on cars caused by certain brands of gas. Around here, Shell is best, then Chevron, BP, then everything else is pretty much chancing it from there. I think the Thornton's in our area actually had bad gas mix that caused a lot of problems in cars within the past 2 weeks here. So even though the raw materials are the same, it is the additives that make the difference in the quality of the gas.
Old 05-31-2004, 03:50 PM

Some cars run fine on lower octane gas. We used to drive a Suburu Forester that ran better on 87 octane than 91. wierd eh?

But yeh, both my cars run on 91 from Costco since there's is the cheapest and has no additives. If my car starts running funky I either buy injector cleaner or run a tank of chevron since they put cleaner in.

the places you really have to look out for are the ones that mix water in their gas. Believe it or not it is legal to do so up to a certain point.
Old 05-31-2004, 03:55 PM

A nice topic...for the lounge.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:18 PM

I dont understand how people think $4 is gonna break thier pocket. I think people that put 87 in a camaro should maybe consider a 88 volvo. IMO

Last edited by Briank8811; 05-31-2004 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:23 PM

Be lucky that some of you can get 93. Here in Cali the highest ive seen is 91. Thats what I get. Does any1 know if ARCO premium is ok? Thats what is use.

-Derek
Old 05-31-2004, 09:03 PM

I'm pretty sure the LT1 was designed to run on 87 octane gas that's why it has the high swirl chambers, aluminum heads, and reverse cooling. You have to remember that for aluminum you can drop you octane requirement by about 3 points. vs. a cast iron head. On a stock engine you are not going to hurt it by putting in 87 octane. Just remeber depending on how much you drive that 4 or 5 dollars can really ad up over the span of a year. The key is to use the lowest possible octane without detonation that will theoretically give you the best throttle responce, driveability, and horsepower. All octane does is makes it harder for the fuel mixture to ignite. This can help prevent detonation on high compresion engines. Where our cars it really isn't needed unless you are running different pistons, or milled heads on a rebuild or if you are running a power adder. 93 OCTANCE GAS IS NO BETTER THAN 87 ON AN ENGINE THAT CAN RUN FINE ON 87 IT'S A MYTH.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by OldSchoolSS
I'm pretty sure the LT1 was designed to run on 87 octane gas that's why it has the high swirl chambers, aluminum heads, and reverse cooling. You have to remember that for aluminum you can drop you octane requirement by about 3 points. vs. a cast iron head. On a stock engine you are not going to hurt it by putting in 87 octane. Just remeber depending on how much you drive that 4 or 5 dollars can really ad up over the span of a year. The key is to use the lowest possible octane without detonation that will theoretically give you the best throttle responce, driveability, and horsepower. All octane does is makes it harder for the fuel mixture to ignite. This can help prevent detonation on high compresion engines. Where our cars it really isn't needed unless you are running different pistons, or milled heads on a rebuild or if you are running a power adder. 93 OCTANCE GAS IS NO BETTER THAN 87 ON AN ENGINE THAT CAN RUN FINE ON 87 IT'S A MYTH.

And yet Gm tells you to run atleast 91 on all Lt1 engines...
Old 05-31-2004, 09:35 PM

GM suggests that you run 91 or higher octane. Why would GM suggest running a higher octane gas than you really need? GM knew some idiots would fill the car up with 87 or 89 to save a buck so they equipped the fbody with a knock sensor to retard timing when detonation is detected. Sorry but I don't like trusting my engine to a knock sensor. 4 bucks isn't worth it. If you're gonna try and cut corners like that then you shouldn't be driving the car since you obviously can't afford it.

My two cents.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:07 PM

OldschoolSS, I don't know where you got that stuff but its BS. Its a high compression engine that requires high octane gas.
If you wanna play, you gotta pay.

Quick Reply: Why do people stress about premium!!!