LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Why do people stress about premium!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 11:43 PM

Originally posted by Cmr0z28
Most speedways around here dont even HAVE premium...just 87 and 91.
Considering every pump in Canada that I've been to 91 is premium your statement holds no truth. Running 93 octane on a stock LT1 will gain 0 over running 91. Read the owners manual, it suggests 91 but if you must run 87 it is safe but you will experiance performance loss and knock.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:00 AM

OldschoolSS, I don't know where you got that stuff but its BS. Its a high compression engine that requires high octane gas.
Although my father gives me hell for filling up with the "expensive stuff", I would have to agree with Bud M. When I first bought my car it ran great, pulled hard, and sounded real strong. Like a dummy, the first time i filled my tank a couple of days after buying the car, i filled it with 87 octane (the cheapo grocery store gas). I just had the urge to drain the tank and refill it because the car was running like sh*t. It wasnt knocking or anything, it just picked up slow, shifted slow, and just downright ran sluggish. Now I always run Shell 93 octane (the new better gas milage stuff)
Old 06-01-2004, 12:08 AM

hsyr is right 91 is the same performance as 93..there both premium
Old 06-01-2004, 12:41 AM

i agree, and in most places you can drive a few miles and get premium at the same price another place is chargin for 89
Old 06-01-2004, 01:05 AM

Originally posted by shoebox
A nice topic...for the lounge.
as a matter of a fact there's a poll going on in the lounge, and its surprising how many people run regular in their LT1's
Old 06-01-2004, 07:31 AM

"Most companies that sell calibrations eitherthrough a chip or by actually reflashing the lattercomputers, lean, not richen the mixture. Anotherfactor is the factory ships the vehicles with an 87octane spark curve, so a small power increase ofapproximately 5 horsepower can be gained byimplementing more spark advance and using pre-mium fuel."

This is about the LT1 in our cars taken from gms. As you can see the car is programed to run on 87.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by OldSchoolSS
"Most companies that sell calibrations eitherthrough a chip or by actually reflashing the lattercomputers, lean, not richen the mixture. Anotherfactor is the factory ships the vehicles with an 87octane spark curve, so a small power increase ofapproximately 5 horsepower can be gained byimplementing more spark advance and using pre-mium fuel."

This is about the LT1 in our cars taken from gms. As you can see the car is programed to run on 87.
I don't know who or what "gms" is, but the statement sounds very generic and not LT1 specific.

The quote below does not sound like the car's program is based on 87 octane, though it will run on it (just maybe not well).
from the owner's manual
Fuel

5.7L LT1 (Code P)
The 8th digit of your vehicle identification number
(VIN) shows the code letter for your engine. You will
find the VIN at the top left of your instrument panel.
(See “Vehicle Identification Number” in the Index.)

Use premium unleaded gasoline rated at 91 octane or
higher. You may use middle grade or regular unleaded
gasolines, but your vehicle may not accelerate as well.
The gasoline you use should meet specifications ASTM
D4814 in the United States and CGSB 3.5-92 in
Canada. These fuels should have the proper additives, so
you should not have to add anything to the fuel.

In the United States and Canada, it’s easy to be sure you
get the right kind of gasoline (unleaded). You’ll see
UNLEADED right on the pump. And only unleaded
nozzles will fit into your vehicle’s filler neck.

Be sure the posted octane for premium is at least 91 (at
least 89 for middle grade and 87 for regular). If the
octane is less than 87, you may get a heavy knocking
noise when you drive. If it’s bad enough, it can damage
your engine.

If you’re using fuel rated at 91 octane or higher and you
still hear heavy knocking, your engine needs service.
But don’t worry if you hear a little pinging noise when
you’re accelerating or driving up a hill. That’s normal
and you don’t have to buy a higher octane fuel to get rid
of pinging. It’s the heavy, constant knock that means
you have a problem.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by OldSchoolSS

There is no way the car is programmed to run on 87 out of the factory, as it's spark advance curve is way too aggressive. Most tuners take out a ton of timing in fact. If you run 87 octane on a stock LT1, you will without a doubt get spark retard, especially in the hot summer. A friend of mine once showed up at the track with 87 octane and ran a string of consistent 14.7s in his 2.73/A4 96 TA convertible. He kept running until his tank was almost dry, then filled up with 91 octane. Even though the temps outside were getting hotter, and he was now running on a full tank, his ETs immediately dropped down into consistent 14.4s.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:40 AM

the difference between a full tank of 93 and 87 here is LESS THAN $3.

$3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wtf is wrong with you cheap scum if you cant scrape together a measly $3 for your engine.

i cant stress enough how pathetic you are for not filling up with the premium.

if you cant afford $3, you should go buy yourself a honda or other econo-bucket.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:02 AM

I see the point of running 91 or 93 in our cars and i agree with the facts. But i think you can get the point across without calling someone ...

cheap scum

i cant stress enough how pathetic you are for not filling up with the premium."

if you cant afford $3, you should go buy yourself a honda or other econo-bucket
Act your age , not your shoe size
Old 06-01-2004, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by got_hp?
the difference between a full tank of 93 and 87 here is LESS THAN $3.

$3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wtf is wrong with you cheap scum if you cant scrape together a measly $3 for your engine.

i cant stress enough how pathetic you are for not filling up with the premium.

if you cant afford $3, you should go buy yourself a honda or other econo-bucket.
Looking at your sig your running a 355 and spray hell that has to take more octane than a stock engine so why aren't you running 110 octane airplane grade fuel? You must be one of those "pathetic cheap scum" guys 93 octane on spray hah.

Now for the mature readers there are so many factors in deciding what octane to use. And for me 87 will theoretically and in real world work great on a mostly stock car running in the midwest. Temperature and humidity also play a role in octane requirements so does ignition timing. I being an engineer for one of the major producers of internal combustion engines in the world I would know a little more than your average car guy about the subject. Try pumping some of that 110 octane fuel into your car and see how good it runs I'll bet you it will run like crap because you don't have optimal conditions for ignition of the fuel. More octane is not always better.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:10 PM

i think all they are trying to say to u is that the LT1 sense's knock on below 91 ctane fuel...thus the PCM pulls timing and it runs like a v6..If the owners manual says 91 oct. or higher...they said it for a reason..if u wanna drive around all day with lost power and bad timing be my guest...but there will always be LT1's out there like mine that run premium and are getting the true potential out of their LT1...
Old 06-01-2004, 12:35 PM

Another thing to consider here guys, is the guys rooting for 93 or nothing, are modded to some extent. I know I dont like running anything less than 93, simply because I dont have the equiptment to monitor for KR, and I dont want to risk any damage.

91 or above guys!! Like they said, saving a few bucks is just taking the life off your motor, if the octane is low your car WILL ping. Maybe not enough to notice, but enough to potentially damage something.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:19 PM

I work at shell and always fill my car with shell premium 93 since the day i bought it nothing else has ever went in it....except i think on a road trip i put in ultra 94 cause there was no shell stations around.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:03 PM

I put premium in my eclipse and it's almost stock right now... Even on an economy car, the computer can learn and adjust. If you use premium gas the car will run stronger plain and simple. If you don't use premium, don't hot rod the car or you will most likely detonate - once again, plain and simple. Also, I don't care how many road tests you have done, GM designed the lt1 engine to run on premium so that is the most logical choice - once again, it's plain and simple.

Oh so what was the point of this thread again? To make fun of those who don't use premium haha.

Quick Reply: Why do people stress about premium!!!