LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

why downgrade to obd1?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 11:05 PM

why downgrade to obd1?

I was just at pcm for less' website, and i see they have a obdII to obd1 downgrage... why would you want to do taht? i see that it says, it will remove the rear o2 sensors (i mean disable) and also disable the crank pos sensor (is that a good thing?)

what else is it useful for? (i also saw he can send free upgrades via email)

is it worth doing?
Old 10-07-2003, 11:08 PM

You know that's a good question that I would like a definate answer for. Especially because I just got the OBD1 conversion. Nah but I think its because it's easier to program. Also something to do with scanning with your laptop and stuff. I haven't put mine in and been doing so much with the motor being built and all I haven't even asked. (what an ID )
Old 10-07-2003, 11:10 PM

so i'm sure u'd like some info on it too

anyone?
Old 10-07-2003, 11:32 PM
Advanced Tech Moderator

Programming software for obd1 is much cheaper than obd2, also there are many scanning/logging software programs for obd1.

Those are more reasons...
Old 10-07-2003, 11:44 PM

As others have said, many free options for tuning as opposed to being stuck with LT1 Rape-It (Edit...)...

That's really the only reason.. for A4 cars it's a tough call (i'm still in limbo about it) due to wanting to run a higher stall than my current 2800.. OBD1 sometimes has trouble shifting with high stall hard track launches, but most of the popular programmers (IE, pcmforless, Ed Wright..) have got a fix for OBD1 and that issue.
Old 10-08-2003, 01:02 AM

Originally posted by Javier97Z28
As others have said, many free options for tuning as opposed to being stuck with LT1 Rape-It (Edit...)...

That's really the only reason.. for A4 cars it's a tough call (i'm still in limbo about it) due to wanting to run a higher stall than my current 2800.. OBD1 sometimes has trouble shifting with high stall hard track launches, but most of the popular programmers (IE, pcmforless, Ed Wright..) have got a fix for OBD1 and that issue.
so if they have a fix, u should do it
Old 10-08-2003, 01:20 AM

Another thing that is different between OBD1 and 2 is the 1 PCM's dont read the rear O2 sensors. That can easily save you some $$$ if you had to buy something like O2 sims.

Personally, I converted and after buying the interface cable, I am able to see everythign going on with my PCM for free (freescan). I can also log the runs I make with datamaster but thats only free for the first 20 runs. With that, you can play back the run and see everything the comp is seeing. Bryan over at PCMforless also will re-tune your car for free in accordance with whatever mods you install on your car for life. All you have to do with that is buy the cable ($95).
Old 10-08-2003, 02:21 AM

He CagedMonkey.....I got a 97 also with the OBDI conversion. Think you can gimme some tips on how to use this stuff when my car is up and running? I just downloaded the Freescan the other day, haven't done the Datamaster yet.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:27 AM

Along with everything stated above....

The OBDII throws SES codes more often because its much more sensative.

Example: it cross checks for a change in MAP pressure when the egr is activated and will throw a code when you do an EGR delete and the MAP doesn't change slightly. OBDI does not have this check for EGR function and won't throw a code when you !EGR.

This is just one example and the EGR can be programmed out. I believe there is a limit to the number of functions you can disable though. Basically though, OBD I isn't as picky
Old 10-08-2003, 07:28 AM

cool! looks like i'll get this
Old 10-08-2003, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by S.J.S.
He CagedMonkey.....I got a 97 also with the OBDI conversion. Think you can gimme some tips on how to use this stuff when my car is up and running? I just downloaded the Freescan the other day, haven't done the Datamaster yet.
Sure -

Freescan is really easy to use. All you have to do is get the right cable, hook it up, make sure your serial port on the computer is working (mine wasnt at first... had to enable it), open freescan, turn the key on and hit start. There is a engine data page that shows everything thats going on with the car and a sensor diagnostic page that shows all the detailed sensor readings. You can also read/reset the SES codes. Theres also the dashboard thing you can watch but I dont really use that much at all. Thats abot all I use.

Datamaster is a little different. I am still figuring it out and with that one, you get 20 free logs and then you have to buy it. I think it was about $100 to register it and then you get unlimited logs. I have been having problems with the COM port not being recognized by datamaster and wasting a log attempt. I also wasted a couple trying to figure out exactly how things worked but there is a instruction manual over by the place you download it that helps a lot.

Shoot me a PM when your all up and running and I will see what I can do to help you out