LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Why is everyone scared to rev past 6K with heads/cam cars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 11:54 AM

Re: Why is everyone scared to rev past 6K with heads/cam cars?

Originally Posted by Mike96z
I was going to do 4-bolt splayed but then I changed my mind because if it's built correctly the 2-bolt will hold up to just about anything. There are 2-bolt mains that are just as fast, if not faster than a 4-bolt main.
??? I fail to see how a 2 bolt or a 4 bolt would have anything to do with speed. It only adds strength to the lower end.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Shon Herron
we spun the stock bolt on motor to 6400+ on the top end, it liked it!
Is this the motor that is currently being rebuilt? LOL J/K man... that car ran it's *** off!
Old 10-05-2006, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by MeanGreen97Z
Is this the motor that is currently being rebuilt? LOL J/K man... that car ran it's *** off!
It liked it. ...just not for much longer than 6 mths, LMAO. But I could be at fault for some of it but we'll never know now.....trying to learn how to shift the thing like Russ did it got 'over revved' some, blew up the opti once, then blew up the motor,
that car hates me, but I am keeping it around to torture!
Old 10-05-2006, 12:58 PM

FWIW, when I look at the dyno chart, it peaks 6050-6100ish. My shift point is 7000-7100rpm when you compare power in each gear. I technically should rev even further, but the OBD I PCM doesn't like that so much.

I can't imagine that 200rpm past power peak would ever be an ideal shift point. Maybe if the valves start to float or the valvetrain goes unstable, but it would take one hell of a drop off of torque for such a low shift point (in relation to the peak) to be logical.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:39 PM

Some of you guys are ****ing nuts.

Honestly, think of what your asking out of your stock bottom ended cars ... They are a 2 bolt block, that has severely weakened spark issues past 6500 (Read up on it in GMHTP magazine, on their Project Snowball 3rd gen LT1 car ) , uses hyperueretic pistons, and so-so stock bearings. Its a motor that was never intended to rev past 6000RPMs ...

I planned on going all motor, this winter, and after ALOT of research on this, have decided that the amount of spun bearings in relation to RPMs is higher than you guys may think. I personally, would not spin a stock 2bolt past any more than 6300-6400. After that, your on borrowed time. Main Caps can walk ... ALOT. And that leads to all kinds of harmonic issues. It really can cause serious motor damage.

Hah and I think there is some validness in the statement of Age VS. Redline. Most of my idiot friends who have stick shift cars ( And autos ... They dont get it shifts itself ) wind them WAY out. To the point that you can tell its way past its powerband, its not building RPMs as fast, and their pushing it harder instead of shifting. I just dont get.

Stock car with bolt ons only, there is NO reason to shift past 5800-5900. Even with N20. It doesnt change your powerband, thats what a cam is for.

Seems like there are a TON of guys on here over-revving their cammed set ups too ... Theres a few Hot Cam guys that are shifted like OVER 6500 RPMs ... On stock heads, I just dont get it. Even with ported heads, that cam is running out of steam at 5800-6000 and doesnt need shifted any higher than 6300 ish.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:46 PM

You referring to a magazine hurts everything that you might say about this...

But will add that when I did my 355 LT4 stuff i tried shifting it from 6000-6500 and never saw any benefits, so 6000 was the shift point.

On the bolt on car, shift was at 6000ish but would let it run out the top end and that was anywhere from 6200 to 6500 depending on the tire and MPH of that run.

I will agree that spinning it more than is needed is useless but you got to find out what that point is.

I will be 33 shortly so where does that put me in the age/PRM range?
Originally Posted by HardcoreRM125
Some of you guys are ****ing nuts.

Honestly, think of what your asking out of your stock bottom ended cars ... They are a 2 bolt block, that has severely weakened spark issues past 6500 (Read up on it in GMHTP magazine, on their Project Snowball 3rd gen LT1 car ) , uses hyperueretic pistons, and so-so stock bearings. Its a motor that was never intended to rev past 6000RPMs ...

I planned on going all motor, this winter, and after ALOT of research on this, have decided that the amount of spun bearings in relation to RPMs is higher than you guys may think. I personally, would not spin a stock 2bolt past any more than 6300-6400. After that, your on borrowed time. Main Caps can walk ... ALOT. And that leads to all kinds of harmonic issues. It really can cause serious motor damage.

Hah and I think there is some validness in the statement of Age VS. Redline. Most of my idiot friends who have stick shift cars ( And autos ... They dont get it shifts itself ) wind them WAY out. To the point that you can tell its way past its powerband, its not building RPMs as fast, and their pushing it harder instead of shifting. I just dont get.

Stock car with bolt ons only, there is NO reason to shift past 5800-5900. Even with N20. It doesnt change your powerband, thats what a cam is for.

Seems like there are a TON of guys on here over-revving their cammed set ups too ... Theres a few Hot Cam guys that are shifted like OVER 6500 RPMs ... On stock heads, I just dont get it. Even with ported heads, that cam is running out of steam at 5800-6000 and doesnt need shifted any higher than 6300 ish.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:12 PM

lol older than me, a little higher than me as well.

ANd I guess you have a point, they were pushing the DelTeq unit pretty good on that article. Never gave it much thought because Opti's, for the most part, suck at life anyways. Why not blame one more spark related issue to it?