LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Why is my car chewing through front tires???

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 01:24 PM

Why is my car chewing through front tires???

This is really starting to **** me off. When i took off the last set of wheels just before having my 18" boyds installed i noticed that for the first time in the cars life it really ate the inside of the left front tire. I took it to have it aligned and it was off by a good amount so i figured that solved my problem.

Well i just out of boredom bought some 295/18's for the rear and was taking the fronts off the car to put them on the back to do burn-outs with them(they have less tread than backs)

But when i went to take them off i noticed that it again ate the inside of the tire. Just the very inner side of it. I have pics at home so when i get there i will host it. Assuming the tires dont blow by the time i get back from school in Austin

In fact the tire is so bad that i can actually stick my finger behind tread in the center(its peeling off).

I was cussing the left front of my car for doing it again, when i noticed the right side did the same thing on the inside of the tire.
Though not quite as bad, not something i wanna drive on.

The tires have to make it through tonight *prays* then they are all coming off to go get the wheels powdercoated black, and new tires installed. But i dont want the new tires to do the same damn thing again.

Im thinking that maybe the last time i had it aligned that it was wrong, but i sat there and watched them do it and watched the computer. Also i had to have it balanced on the 16's because their machine couldnt hook onto my boyds because of the reverse lip. Could that have made a difference at all?

Im just really concerned as to why its doing it. The car is lowered as well. But when i look at the tires contacting the pavement, they look to be flat. And they are no where near close to touching as far up as they are worn on the inside. I figure the only way the inside can be making contact is that when the car is moving that the car gets lower and thus squats down forcing the tires to wear on the inside. I know its hard to visualize from here, so ill have pics up tonight.

Thanks guys!
Old 09-01-2004, 01:44 PM

Re: Why is my car chewing through front tires???

my 17's do that on passenger side of the car ....i know exactly what u r talking bout. But yet im still trying to find out the same problem
Old 09-01-2004, 01:55 PM

Well im gonna take it back in when the wheels get here and have them realign it. But i have this feeling they are gonna tell me the alignment is fine.

Im still confused because the inside of the tire never makes contact with the road where its worn. And the tire is sitting perfectly flat on the concrete right now.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:07 PM

Im beginning to wonder if they are maybe rubbing on something inside the fender well. Im going to go buy a new jack and jack stands in a minute then im gonna jack the car up and turn the wheel as far as it will go each way.

Anyways, here are the pics...

http://www.technologyorgasm.com/upload/tire1.JPG
http://www.technologyorgasm.com/upload/tire2.JPG
Old 09-02-2004, 11:41 PM

When you have it jacked up in the air double check your wheel bearings,tierods,balljoints,shock,struts,bushings the whole nine yards. When you had it aligned they should have checked everything out but sometimes like all humans they miss something. Just double check for your self make sure all your suspention is tight. Oh yea and make sure you check your air pressure in your tires. Also you might consider taking it to a different shop they might have been having troubles with there machine and arnt aware of it. Hope something there helps
Old 09-03-2004, 10:33 AM

if its not something with the alignment or suspension you can see maybe trying turning the wheels full lock left or right and see if its hitting anything then on the inside
Old 09-03-2004, 11:20 AM

<damn thats worse than i thought...mine would wear in the same area but would make the tire real rough on the edges....btw is that the rear tire doing that?
Old 09-06-2004, 09:08 AM

Nope the rears are just fine. The fronts however

And you think they are bad, imagine how i felt having to drive home 1 hour wondering if it was gonna blow