LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

WHY Synthetic????

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 04:01 PM

WHY Synthetic????

I have heard too may differing stories on synthetic. Besides the life of the oil and the fact that it is the newest thing. Is synthetic the best out there or is it better to go with a blend or conventional? I also heard synthetic does not climb the gears as well as coventional does.
Old 09-27-2003, 04:11 PM

cleaner, dont have to change as much, much more expensive...I never bought into the hype....
Old 09-27-2003, 05:43 PM

The amount of money you would waste (in my opinion) on synthetic over the life span of the engine compared to regular dino oil you coulda had that stroker you've always wanted Seriously to me, unless you built an expensive bottom end that you want to last as long as it can use synthetic.
Old 09-27-2003, 05:49 PM

considering that synthetic is only 18.99 for 5 quarts at wal-mart(for those that suck at math thats only $3.80 a quart). Not to much if you ask me. and yes, synthetic is WAY better.
Old 09-27-2003, 07:12 PM

Synthetics main benefits are the ability to go longer drain intervals, better flow in extreme cold, and the ability to protect better in case of extreme heat (such as if your cooling system failed on you for instance)
Old 09-27-2003, 07:22 PM

well if you go by the bottle and change it every say... 25000 miles you would be saving the money of changing the oil with regular oil ummm 7 times.. heck even if you change it every 15000 thats 4 regular oil changes...
so lets say you go 25000 miles before you change
case of oil 12 bucks (cheap stuff @ .99 cent a qt)
about 4 bucks for the fram filter which brings us up to about 16 bucks for a regular oil change. multiply that by 7 and you get 112 dollars for 7 oil changes..
I dunno how many of us change it at 25000 just stating what i read somewhere, then doing the algebra myself ;-)
Old 09-27-2003, 09:30 PM

Here in Canada it takes about $200.00 of gasoline to wear out the oil at normal change intervals. So spending another $5-10 dollars on synthetic, which is better than conventional in EVERY WAY is no big deal. If your argument against synthetic is price, then go buy a clapped out Honda and thrash it.
In another few years most manufactuers will be using synthetic as a factory fill, and many do now. On new engines. Which haven't been broken in.
If "new" synthetic scares you, overhead cams and electronic engine management systems must frighten the crap out of you. Technology advances - get over it.
Old 09-27-2003, 09:35 PM
Banned

Originally posted by hsyr
The amount of money you would waste (in my opinion) on synthetic over the life span of the engine compared to regular dino oil you coulda had that stroker you've always wanted Seriously to me, unless you built an expensive bottom end that you want to last as long as it can use synthetic.
i agree.. if it's an engine that you WANT TO LAST then i would run synthetic.. like my honda i could care less so i run just regular non synthetic oil in that bish.. but my camaro... Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic every 2K miles
Old 09-27-2003, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by Patman
Synthetics main benefits are the ability to go longer drain intervals, better flow in extreme cold, and the ability to protect better in case of extreme heat (such as if your cooling system failed on you for instance)
You don't have to have a cooling system failure to experience obscene oil temps. During Motor Trends top speed test on a new LS1 Vette, oil temps exceeded 265*!!! Dino oil would have been a pile of sludge after that run. Less friction and greater film strengths even with a lighter viscosity oil is more than enough reason to use synthetic.
Old 09-28-2003, 01:50 AM

I just read in a mag. that synthetic oil could make you burn oil on the LS1 cars but then they also stated that GM used synthetic in the Corvette. Hummmmm????
Old 09-28-2003, 01:58 AM

synthetic can hold up to hard driving 100x better than dino oil, and im sure most of you drive your car fairly hard.
Old 09-28-2003, 02:03 AM

I use it with no problems as of yet. I hope it would be better then non-sysnthetic my engine has 77,000 miles and I want it to last.
Old 09-28-2003, 03:04 AM

Well the way I figure, If Porsche, Corvettes, Vipers and other high end cars come with synthetic from the factory and are required to run in thier engines, synthetic is going in my car.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:28 AM

Originally posted by Josh-'97 WS6
You don't have to have a cooling system failure to experience obscene oil temps. During Motor Trends top speed test on a new LS1 Vette, oil temps exceeded 265*!!! Dino oil would have been a pile of sludge after that run. Less friction and greater film strengths even with a lighter viscosity oil is more than enough reason to use synthetic.
That's true, I read a thread on the Corvette forum about oil temps and many guys reported seeing over 300 degree oil temps when road racing their C5s! You'd definitely want to be running a good oil and an oil cooler if you do a lot of driving like that.
Old 09-28-2003, 11:07 AM

Considering that 260 degrees F. is the upper limit for conventional oils, it is obvious that only synthetic could have saved those engines. GM knew something when they specified synthetic for Corvette factory fill.

Quick Reply: WHY Synthetic????