LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Why won't my Z start? (362kb sound clip included!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by z28_melissa
Well you see, in the sound clip where it sounded like I let go of it, I didn't. It just stops, unlike other cars where it'll just keep rolling overandoverandoverandover. So even if I hold it to the start position longer you won't hear anything different.
uh, u should mention something like this !!!

try another starter perhaps ...

does it start AT ALL anymore ?
Old 02-01-2003, 07:55 AM

The starter has always been like that, I just thought it was normal... it has always started the car just fine.

My car started later last night after a lot more tries... and now my whole garage smells like gas. heh.

I'm gonna replace the spark plugs/wires anyway, and check some of the other things you guys said to check. Because it'll most likely not start again in a week or so.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:29 PM

While there may be another problem, or weakness also, the starter should basically stay engaged as long as you hold the key in the start position[but don't hold it longer than say 20-30 seconds or so at a time as it 'overheats' it ..]
I'd focus on the starter, and it's connections, etc...
Charlie
Old 02-01-2003, 05:45 PM

I agree with sideways_Into_3rd

My friensd Z28 had the EXACT same problem and exact same sound.... he went and power washed his 94 Z and thats exacally what it did after. So yeah, the opti was known for water logging and was changed soon after by 97. I almost can bet the farm thats whats wrong espeically if you came incontact with a lot of water under or near the underside of the hood ie... washing the engine.
Old 02-01-2003, 05:53 PM

Wink

Try checking the ignition lead coming off the coil. They have been known to burn though.
Old 02-01-2003, 05:54 PM

Wink

Try checking the ignition lead coming off the coil. They have been known to burn though.
Old 02-02-2003, 01:47 PM
stihlajohndeere

won't start

sorry guys if you waited for her to answer with the car stops cranking, you would realize the the opti (sorry god of ignition) was not sending back the feedback signal that it was rotating. Remember there is 2 signals from the opti to the computer. One is rotating ok and the other is position. Chances are she has a contact problem with the 4 pin connector at the distributor or the photo sensor inside is defective. The last case (I hope not ) is the ECM is bad. A code scanner could tell you a lot.
Good luck

Old 02-02-2003, 01:47 PM

Ok.

It's been starting fine again now... it's so weird. I actually wish it would either always start or always NOT start, because I don't wanna get stranded somewhere and it's hard to figure out the problem if it doesn't happen all the time :\
Old 02-02-2003, 01:48 PM
stihlajohndeere

won't start

sorry guys if you waited for her to answer with the car stops cranking, you would realize the the opti (sorry god of ignition) was not sending back the feedback signal that it was rotating. Remember there is 2 signals from the opti to the computer. One is rotating ok and the other is position. Chances are she has a contact problem with the 4 pin connector at the distributor or the photo sensor inside is defective. The last case (I hope not ) is the ECM is bad. A code scanner could tell you a lot.
Good luck

Old 02-02-2003, 01:52 PM
stihlajohndeere

won't start part due

Usually intermittant starting problems are the fuel pump on it's way out. the next time it happens, if you don't have a pressure gage like most people, take the cap of the fuel rail schrader valve and push the pin in the center in. If the pump were working the fuel would squirt out. (Please be careful) if fuel does not squirt out, your pump is probably to blaim. How long has it been since you changed the fuel filter?

Old 02-02-2003, 02:28 PM

Re: won't start

Originally posted by stihlajohndeere
Good luck
Care to explain this further?
A starter will crank without an opti hooked up, or even in the car, It doesn't 'control' the starter....
Non functioning starter or ign switch won't set SES...

Car stopping cranking, while ignition still in 'start' position, is either the ignition SWITCH, a dirty connection somewhere in the starting circuit, or the STARTER itself... [opti has nothing to do with cranking it over...]
Also, as I posted above, there could be other things why it won't START, but it certainly should crank for as long as you hold the key...
Old 02-09-2003, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by Mtrhds94Z
While there may be another problem, or weakness also, the starter should basically stay engaged as long as you hold the key in the start position[but don't hold it longer than say 20-30 seconds or so at a time as it 'overheats' it ..]
I'd focus on the starter, and it's connections, etc...
Charlie
Those of you who said the starter was bad are correct. I took the starter in and got it rebuilt for $80. He said that there were some loose parts and its understandable that it wasn't cranking over for more than a second or two.

I haven't had the problem of it not starting again yet, but hopefully with the fresh starter it'll be able to start anyway.
Old 10-27-2003, 03:49 AM

Hey melissa....(or anyone with the clip/clips), would you mind posting those clips up again please so I can download them, I'm having issues as well, and want to hear if ours are similar.

Any and all clips would be appreciated....if you need to email them to me, PM me please.
Old 11-09-2003, 07:47 AM

anybody?