LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

why are you afraid to run race gas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 11:07 PM

Re: why are you afraid to run race gas?

Originally Posted by firetird

amean94ta , i would like to see a dyno for your car with race gas vs with pump gas on motor. i bet there would be very little difference in the numbers.
now i wont even try that my motor was built around using 110 vp so i am not gonna hurt it running into detnation just to prove a stupid point my car needs the fuel i run for my setup
Old 02-11-2006, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by xxsaint69x
can u give me a part number for lead resistant o2s!?
denso makes them i dont have the number handy but i got it from a gmhtp article
Old 02-11-2006, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Green95Z28
My nova has 15:1 compression and I run it on methanol, which is cheaper, (I still don't burn enough to make it cost more than race gas) and I run a LOT quicker than I do on gas with it, about 1/2 second was shaved off just switching to methanol.

Well since you run alky you then know you run pretty much close to 2 gal of meth compared to what you would have used 1 gal of race gas i pay $5.50 a gal for 110 vp and alky runs $2.50 so thats a total of .50 savings but not really since alky is corrosive and you need more frequent rebuilds

to run meth in my ta i would have to double the fuel and change a bunch of stuff so it dont melt lines and rubber bladders and such

although yes it will shave time due to the way it burns so cold
Old 02-11-2006, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by 89385formula
Well just because you went to the dragstrip alot doesn't mean you need to waste your extra money to run race fuel, but hey thats your call. I would rather run faster on whats widely available and not overly expensive. You wouldn't need to run race fuel anyways even with 13.8:1 compression with a big solid roller, so I guess I am missing the point of this entire post. Is this about bragging because you run race fuel and other people don't waste the money? Because otherwise I am missing the point clearly. Sure you would need to on a 300 shot, but obviously you have a track only car because you don't want a street car i suppose. If i had a track only car i wouldn't be running gas, I would be running one of the many alcohol setups my boss has laying around.
now why would i build this motor wild then tame it down to run pump gas to me thats dumb if you want to be really fast and not just fast to the local guys you hangout with then you have to run what ya need
Old 02-11-2006, 11:34 PM

just seems like you're trying to brag about having to run race gas. like said before... not many people on this board need to run race gas, the ones that need to run it, and the ones that don't need to don't run it. seems like a pointless question to me, think about it dude.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:42 PM

I am not bragging just bringing up the topic because if you read back there a couple guys here that are writing that the same power can be made with tuneing it down and running pump gas but that wont happen or work
Old 02-11-2006, 11:52 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Didn't Injuneer do a bunch of testing on this complete with dyno tuning for each octane level tried?
I did, but the results were specific to my setup. Its only 10.8:1 with a mild solid roller. 94 made more power than 93. 100 didn't make any more than 94. For each fuel, A/F ratio and timing were optimized to the fuel. When we baselined it running NA with VP C16 (117 motor octane) it picked up 8HP. But we weren't trying to justify using C16 in a fairly mild engine, we were getting a baseline so we could start tuning with C16 running a 275-shot.

I think its sort of silly to ridicule people for what kind of fuel they choose to run. If someone sets their goal as making the kind of HP they want using pump gas, it doesn't make them afraid, stupid or somehow inferior, which is the message I'm getting from the way the question ws asked. If you want to run race gas on the street, and have the engine set up to require and benefit from that fuel, good for you. But don't belittle others for choosing a different path. Like several people have already suggested, it looks more like bragging.

A couple of days ago, I had a little heated discussion in a thread on Advanced Tech over how to select injector size. When all else failed, the guys arguement was that he must be right, because his engine makes 480rwHP, and mine is nowhere near that. But my goal was never to make max. NA HP... it was to build a very streetable engine that would pass NJ rolling emissions, yet still handle a 275-shot of nitrous. That was my plan, my goal. I don't think it makes anyone afraid, inferior or stupid to choose to build exactly the engine they want, and if it happens to be a "street" engine that uses "pump" gas, I give them all the respect in the world for achieving their goals. I don't put them down.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:15 AM

i am not judgeing anyone maybe reread and if that dont work maybe my point is not getting put the right way

my point with no hidden messages is

why do people single me out for using race gas like

1.) there is no reason cause by some way they can make more power than me with pump gas

2.) they just dont understand why anyone would want to run race gas

3.) this is what i wanted to build i am the one who feels like he is being pestered because i choose to go this way

also yes by you having 10.8:1 the test worked good but these guys are now taking your info and mixing it up trying to tell me that i can make the same power on pumpgas

there is serious underlying race gas hate out here and i now know how the fat tire tubbed guys get from the 10.5 guys

Last edited by amean94ta; 02-12-2006 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:14 AM

curious what it runs?
Old 02-12-2006, 01:37 AM

only time will tell its a new setup the cc306 sucked for a high compression motor

btw you do know black sunshine is a song by rob zombie talking about a mustang?
Old 02-12-2006, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by amean94ta
although yes it will shave time due to the way it burns so cold
Thank you for proving how little you know.
The whole basis of the internal combustion engine is to use heat to expand gasses in the combustion chamber, less heat means less power. Alky as already discussed needs A LOT more fuel to do the same amount of work because of how it burns cooler. Neat little thing about it is it brings in some oxygen with it, since air and therefore oxygen intake is the limiter in how much fuel an engine can burn, it bringing in oxygen allows the engine to burn a lot more, this higher volume of fuel burned is how it makes power and that volume is required to offset the way the lesser heat HURTS power output.
Same goes for that ethanol crap they are putting in pump gas well intentioned but completely missguided.

Injuneer I was not trying to say there was no reason for anyone to run race gas. I was siting your setup and experiance as an example of how blindly adding octane will not help power the way MANY believe it will. Go to a track with unleadded race gas and you will see someone with a stockish car dumping it in because they believe it makes more power.

If I had a 13.8 static CR I would run race gas too, thing is like I said before I like to drive my car so I wouldn't go that far with the compression.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:51 AM

I don't understand how you can blindly say that your engine requires race gas JUST for the fact that your engine is built around it. If I had 13.8:1 I still wouldn't run race gas most likely, expecially if I was running a wild cam to make power. Sure there may be gains from it but as said before a setup like that can be made to make just as much power on pump gas. I would run my cam with 13:1 compression without de-tuning it for pump gas, and its a peanut cam relative to what many others on this board run. Sounds like your trying to justify your wasting your money to me. If I had a setup like yours I would get it on the dyno just like Injuneer did and see if there are really any gains or not. IMO 8hp like Injuneer stated he picked up by going to 116 from 94 is not worth the cost. You were right for running race gas with the old 306 because it was needed, but I can be sure that your going larger this time by the hefty goals you have set for yourself so perhaps the race gas will no longer be needed.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by amean94ta
why do people single me out for using race gas likep

1.) there is no reason cause by some way they can make more power than me with pump gas

2.) they just dont understand why anyone would want to run race gas

3.) this is what i wanted to build i am the one who feels like he is being pestered because i choose to go this way

there is serious underlying race gas hate out here and i now know how the fat tire tubbed guys get from the 10.5 guys
I think you're paranoid. Who is giving you a hard time for running race gas? I don't think I've seen any posts other than this one where anyone has questioned your judgement. You started it with complaining that we are all afraid of race gas.

You're the one that's making a big deal of it, and some people are taking that as showing off that you can afford to spend $6/gallon to run your car on the street. I'm not sure what other reason you called everyone out for. This thread really serves no useful purpose.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:07 PM

Injuneer I was not trying to say there was no reason for anyone to run race gas. I was siting your setup and experiance as an example of how blindly adding octane will not help power the way MANY believe it will. Go to a track with unleadded race gas and you will see someone with a stockish car dumping it in because they believe it makes more power.
That was the whole point of my post. Race gas does not increase power for 98% of the NA all motor people on this board. Now if you want to run FI or the silly stuff then by all means run higher octane fuel. But for the other people on this board that run race gas, you are only helping the wallets of the people selling the race gas.

Injuneer, what was the dynamic compression of your setup if you dont mind saying?

Amean94ta, same question?
Old 02-12-2006, 04:13 PM

Thank you for proving how little you know.

well i am always willing to learn

Quick Reply: why are you afraid to run race gas?