LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Will Opti Revive after oil leak is fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 11:01 AM

Will Opti Revive after oil leak is fixed?

I've got some missing under load due to oil leaking from the intake into the opti. My question is: If I fix the oil leak, and there's no longer oil leaking into the opti, will the opti dry out and behave normally again, or do I need to completely replace it?
Old 12-29-2005, 11:57 AM

Re: Will Opti Revive after oil leak is fixed?

Mine got sprayed with a hose(long story) wouldnt start for 3 days, then once she decided ( Sluggishly ) to start, I run it and got it real hot for about a half hour and its been fine since. Granted that was water, water evaporates, oil doesnt. So Im not real sure, but if I was you, I sure as hell would drive it around and get it hot, let it idle for a while in your drive way even to try and dry it out instead of buying a 200 something dollar distributor inless you really needed it.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:09 PM

are you sure thats why its missing in the first place?
Old 12-29-2005, 01:40 PM

This same opti once got wet when my dad sprayed out under the hood too, and it revived. However then... the car would barely run at ALL and once it dried out it was back to normal. This is a little different because now the car runs fine for the most part but gets misses under certain conditions making me think I've actually ruined something in there. And like you say, oil doesn't evaporate like water.

I'll give it a shot to see if it does pull out of it. Doesn't hurt to try.

Yes I'm pretty sure that's why it's missing. I took it to a GM dealer and had them run diagnostics on it this morning to rule out other possibilities, and this is the conclusion they came to. It adds up because the intake is leaking pretty badly.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:29 PM

My car caught on fire lol.

I bought it totalled. It sat from 96 to 2001? Without running all the injectors were clogged ( Didnt know yet ) and I tried cranking it after a shot of starting fluid in the throttle body to see if it was getting spark. Long story short, there were some tiny flames, I panicked and hosed it all down lol
Old 12-29-2005, 06:00 PM

i've hosed mine down many times, dumped a bunch of coolant on it and mine never missed a beat... i did wash the engine once and it wouldnt start, dried off the coil and wire and it started fine.

its not like the opti has a big gaping hole in the top of it that just lets water go in it.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Manco
This same opti once got wet when my dad sprayed out under the hood too, and it revived. However then... the car would barely run at ALL and once it dried out it was back to normal. This is a little different because now the car runs fine for the most part but gets misses under certain conditions making me think I've actually ruined something in there. And like you say, oil doesn't evaporate like water.

I'll give it a shot to see if it does pull out of it. Doesn't hurt to try.

Yes I'm pretty sure that's why it's missing. I took it to a GM dealer and had them run diagnostics on it this morning to rule out other possibilities, and this is the conclusion they came to. It adds up because the intake is leaking pretty badly.
The only way to find out is take it apart and see if it is oil soaked. You then have to ask yourself if it is worth your trouble if drying it out does not correct the problem...
Old 12-29-2005, 07:23 PM

Once its soaked through with oil, it not worth the risk of taking it off and hoping that it works when put back on. To much trouble and time, not to mention work.