LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Will a ported intake make a big difference??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 12:23 AM

Will a ported intake make a big difference??

I was just curious if porting out my intake runners would make a good difference in power?

My mods are in my sig, and as for now my TB openings are only ported for the TB, but not the intake runners. The heads i have are stage 3 cnc fully ported and gasket matched.

Im i losing some power with the stock ports and if i ported my intake runners would i see a good gain?
Old 07-19-2007, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by tnmotown
I was just curious if porting out my intake runners would make a good difference in power?

My mods are in my sig, and as for now my TB openings are only ported for the TB, but not the intake runners. The heads i have are stage 3 cnc fully ported and gasket matched.

Im i losing some power with the stock ports and if i ported my intake runners would i see a good gain?
It can't hurt, but I would let someone that knows what their doing have a go at it. I wouldn't expect more than 5 to 15 HP though.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:23 AM

Yea....let someone like (Lloyd Elliott) who's real familar with what a true "full port" on an LT1 intake is, do it for you.......Even most of the shops "advertised" fully ported LTx intakes that I've personally seen, have been lacking pretty bad in areas("especially" BEHIND the throttle body holes where many do almost nothing) and many guys ruin the important runner angles during the runner porting)...........The LE fully ported intake was about the last thing that was done to my combo.....It picked up a solid 2 MPH at the track on an already very consistant running and tuned car, and you could immediately feel the difference from 4000 RPM's up(with zero torque loss down low).....I would think your combo should pick up even more than mine.............Joe

Last edited by Joe B; 07-19-2007 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:21 AM

how much does Lloyd Elliot charge to fully port the intake?

yeah i see all these ads on ebay where they are fully ported by "machine shops" but scared that they might not do a good job.

So you think somewhere around 5-15RWHP with an LE ported intake?
Old 07-19-2007, 05:39 PM

yeah i see all these ads on ebay where they are fully ported by "machine shops" but scared that they might not do a good job.

Well if Joe B gained 2mph, thats nothing to sneeze at. I'm not sure how much mine helped me. Although I went the cheap route and did not have it fully ported. But I must say, for what I paid, he did some nice work. And by the way, his work was so nice, until I held it up to a stock manifold, I couldn't tell what had been done, then I saw difference in the ports. That's how nice the finish was, it still looked like a stock finish, only smoother.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:48 PM

its just seems like to me that i've done almost all the mods on my car that i could of done, but yet still have the stock intake and not ported.

I was just thinking with ported heads and stock intake, im losing some power there
Old 07-19-2007, 09:36 PM

he only charged me 200 ontop of the h/c kit, not sure what he would charge if doing the intake only
Old 07-20-2007, 01:16 AM

i emailed him today about it and he said the same price. He said that he cuts up to 3lbs of aluminum off the manifold!! that seems good to me
Old 07-20-2007, 08:42 AM

i emailed him today about it and he said the same price. He said that he cuts up to 3lbs of aluminum off the manifold!! that seems good to me
Sounds like a plan. And if a re-build is in my future, I'll have mine fully ported by Lloyd.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:40 PM

Talking

3lbs! That is alot of material being removed Amazing.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:50 PM

I have a ported/welded LE intake on my car. He adds metal just above the injector bosses on the outside if the intake in order to remove more inside the port. I believe this "raises the roof" of the port for more/better flow.
Very nice piece, I know I am not seeing the full benefits of this intake with my stock, unported heads. The car does seem to put down some good numbers though..
Old 07-20-2007, 07:44 PM

well im seriously going to get a ported intake soon by LE. I just have to find a spare intake somewhere so i can keep driving my car while its getting done. Then once the ported intake is on, dyno-tune the car..yeah!!
Old 07-20-2007, 07:55 PM

Does anyone know if LE has ported one of the Edelbrock air-gap manifolds yet? I was wondering how it turned out?
Old 07-20-2007, 08:01 PM

I had Lloyd do my LT4 intake when he did my LT4 heads.
From what I saw in the before and after, it was worth it.

I don't think I could live with myself if I didn't have him
port it after he did all that work on the heads.

It just wouldn't make sense.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by RedLT4Mike

I don't think I could live with myself if I didn't have him
port it after he did all that work on the heads.
that was my thoughts exactly, and for only 200, cant go wrong

Quick Reply: Will a ported intake make a big difference??