LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Which will put out more power port LT1 or LT4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 04:59 PM

the impy head gasket is thinner so it raises SCR up from 10.5:1 to like 10.8:1 a little more compression if you can stand it wont hurt you at all in the power department. when I finally do heads and cam i'm going to go for an around 11.3:1 unless i get a stroker depends on money. the lt4 casting is better if you max port the heads. But for the money i'd do lt1 heads and spend the extra cash on lifters and srpings and comp pro mag rockers. the cams that i like are very aggressive and will put the hurt on a stock lifter real quick because of the badass ramp rates. use a small cam with enough lift to get the most out of your heads. me and bret talked about a h/c combo for my car and he recommended to me a 214/224 cam with about .605 lift on the intake. i'm not looking at comps lobe catalog right now so i'm not sure i'm right. since you're on a budget just have the stock lt1's done. if you have the money get bigger valves after everything else is paid for. rr, cam, timing chain set, gaskets, springs, etc. all that valvetrain sheet adds up quick. dont really waste your time on the lt1 intake not much to be found there only way to fix the lt1 intake is to get something different i've been talking to guys for awhile and they said there werent any hard and fast rules to working on it besides raising the runners up and maybe some filler on the floor of them but to raise them enough you'll have to move the injectors blah blah ... you get the idea. talk to bret and see what he has to say on the cam and what do have done on the heads he's helped me try to figure out what would work best for me more than anybody. he can help nail down what you need cam wise and it may seem small but bret is about max power across an rpm range not just peak. hope i've helped you with my wild tangents. just keep your rpms liveable like 6200 rpm and the short block is fine for a long time in most cases. and these mods shouldnt cause you any problems besides traction and traffic tickets .
Old 03-28-2003, 04:59 PM

Because i think the LT4's are bigger and that gives more room to port and more room means more flow.