LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Will ZZ4 valvetrain work on an LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 08:29 PM

Will ZZ4 valvetrain work on an LT1?

hey guys..

I have a chance to buy a ZZ4 cam including the pushrods and roller rockers and lifters... can i use all of the parts on a 95 Impala SS LT1? Can I use the stock valvesprings? The transmission is an automatic, if that matters.

Thanks,
Colin
Old 05-14-2005, 08:39 PM

Re: Will ZZ4 valvetrain work on an LT1?

The cam will need a little machining to the snout so the opti fits in, and you need to make sure the drive pin length is right. The lifters are the same as what you already have and roller lifters do not mate to a cam so use them or your stockers doesn't matter. The pushrods are likely the exact same thing you have in the Impy motor too as the LT1 up though 95 had hardened pushrods that were pretty good, use either set. On the valvesprings, not a snowballs chance in hell those are crap for a stock cam much less this one. The rockers are probably non-selfaligning unless modded the LT1 used self aligning. I have the ZZ3/4 cam in my LT1 Caprice, I like it well enough but it is very tame and will not exibit any "cammed" manners if properly tuned, so if you are expecting some bad manners or are willing to put up with them in the name of power you might want to look a little bigger. I actually drove it for some time with 2.93s and a 1650 stall even towed a light boat like that and it behaved like stock till you asked more of it. Let me know if I can be of more help since I already have this cam in what amounts to an Impala without the pricetag.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:49 PM

thanks for the fast response.. This cam will be going in an Impala engine, as stated before. The thing is, the engine is going into a 1972 Vega and it will be my daily driver. I don't want a massive cam (and don't need one in a 2400lb car).

Besides, it's a new take-off and only $150 for the works. I dont' want to go really big, although I am only running a low 3-ish gear (3.08, I think).

My only mod is a set of Sanderson headers. The engine I bought has 120k miles so I'll probably just box up the lifters and use them when I rebuild the engine. I will probably buy a really nasty cam for my other LT1 V8 Vega project.

Think I can get by with a stock converter? The car is very light..
Thanks,
Colin
Old 05-14-2005, 09:05 PM

On the springs be careful what you buy because ones that actually fit and last are tough to come by the ZZ4/LT4 springs will not fit the iron heads and the Crane springs and some others that do fit them tend to break. I would recommend either Combination Motorsports CM614 or the '915 beehives, I have the CM springs and have 28K on them in a daily driver when I do my ported heads I am using the beehives. On the rockers if they are roller non-SA just resell them and get some SA ones, I have about 42K on some ProForm 1.5s 28K of it with the cam and springs, might not trust them with a BIG cam but for this they work. Also be warned that 1.6 on the exhaust side will push lift beyond a safe level for the iron heads pressed studs. That little car is going to fly with 2.93s/2800stall street tires and a 87 octane mailorder tune I went repeatable 14.1 no particularly good weather or anything, that was with stock manifolds and cats too, headers alone are going to be a big improvement once they arrive and the 3.42s are in as well as better intake so this car will be consistent 13s with stock heads yet and it weights a ton more literally a race weight of 4400-4500 with me in the car. The LT1 is a great motor my basically stock 95 Roadmaster wagon which is LT1 as well(exactly the same as the Impala) but a race weight of around 4900lbs. went repeatable 15.5 last week 2.93s, 28" tires 180K with the original exhaust yet.