LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Window motor woes:(

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 11:41 AM

Window motor woes:(

The passanger side motor in the 93 at times will take forever to roll up.
Okay, If I try to roll both windows up at the same time it takes longer than usuall for the passanger side.
If I roll the passanger side up without rolling up the driver it seems to go a bit faster.

Does this sound like the motor crapping out, or a relay, etc.

Thanks and all help is appreciated
Old 05-20-2003, 11:45 AM

It sounds as though your motor is crapping out. Mine does the same thing--only I think I'm in the advanced stages because my motor will only go up or down 2-3 inches at a time.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:47 AM

Well its not that bad YET but it getting annoying more than anything else
Old 05-20-2003, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by Bastardcat
It sounds as though your motor is crapping out. Mine does the same thing--only I think I'm in the advanced stages because my motor will only go up or down 2-3 inches at a time.
you are in the final stages I just replaced mine about 4 months ago 50$ from autozone (lifetime warrenty). Your motor is wearring out and when it goes up and down so slow it is heating up the circuit and it shuts down. Nothing wrong with the circuit just the motor. I changed the motor myself its pretty easy. Let me know if you want me to post the sight I used
Old 05-20-2003, 12:13 PM

I've done a window motor install before I used Shoebox's site

I was just wondering if this is what it sounded like to you all
Old 05-20-2003, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by ba96ta
you are in the final stages I just replaced mine about 4 months ago 50$ from autozone (lifetime warrenty). Your motor is wearring out and when it goes up and down so slow it is heating up the circuit and it shuts down. Nothing wrong with the circuit just the motor. I changed the motor myself its pretty easy. Let me know if you want me to post the sight I used
Yeah, I have all the info necessary for the fix, I'm just being lazy. (Which I'm sure will bite me in the *** if I don't fix it soon.) Thanks for the offer anyway!
Old 05-20-2003, 12:56 PM

Dead window motors much be contagious A friend had to replace the drivers side in his '94 Z and another had to replace the drivers side and very soon the passenger side on his '97. My drivers side is dead right now too... waiting for the part to come in. It sucks that its been so rainy the past week or so... keeps me from wanting to put the window down at all. I did find that by either putting finger on top and pressing down on the window while you're letting it down it will go further. If you want it up... grab the top of the glass and pull up while holding the up button.

It beats sitting there and waiting for the motor to cool down to allow you to put it up, moving 2-3"s at a time
Old 05-20-2003, 02:38 PM

bad96ta

Hey I would be interested in the site you used. If you could post the link or email it to me at TorchRedZ28@yahoo.com I would appreciate it.
Old 05-20-2003, 02:47 PM

In case anyone else needs this:

http://csce.uark.edu/~jgbertr/rb/alt...ndowmotor.html
Old 05-20-2003, 02:48 PM

I just put 2 new motors in my car, and they still roll up slow as ever. I tried buying that lube stuff that everyone mentions and spray all over it, but it still is slow. Then I went to shoeboxes website to try and toggle with the position, but I think it made it worse...it may be too tight. I might just take it somewhere and get them to fix it, I put it in myself last time, and it was the biggest P.I.T.A!! I would of much rathered paid them $100 to fix it properly...oh well, they still work but just slow!!

JOHN
Old 05-20-2003, 05:18 PM

Thanks for the link and the great pics that helps tons.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:26 PM

I just had to replace my drivers side window motor. This was the 2nd replaced one on this side...and right now it seems to be going up slow...its pissing me off...i am going to see how much slower the drivers side window is than the passengers. My motor from GM cost me 140 last week.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by CamaroGuy22
I just had to replace my drivers side window motor. This was the 2nd replaced one on this side...and right now it seems to be going up slow...its pissing me off...i am going to see how much slower the drivers side window is than the passengers. My motor from GM cost me 140 last week.
Sounds like you paid list price.

You could have gotten it for half of that or less from either:

Dal Slabaugh: 877-448-5451
email: lockitup@bright.net
VanDevere Buick/Pontiac/Olds Akron, OH

Jason Cromer: 877-726-8295 or 850-243-8826 (direct parts dept)
email: gmparts@samtaylor.com
Sam Taylor Buick/Cadillac Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Old 05-21-2003, 04:16 AM

I can,t remember whose site I used but I just drilled holes in the door and then drilled out the rivets and it was so easy I could not believe it. Much better than pulling the whole regulator out.
Old 05-21-2003, 06:14 AM

Guys, Guys,

What causes the windows to go up and down so slow is simple to fix. Here's whats happening;
The lithium grease that is on the rails from the factory, over time, gets hard (start's drying out). Clean the window track really good with something like electrical cleaner to remove all the old grease.
Then apply a good coat of new grease to them. I use axle grease instead of lithium because it does not get hard over time and is water proof. Just replacing the motor, and not replacing the grease will put you in the same boat you were in to start.
Try the grease first before spending the money on new motors.
It's the drag that heats the motor up and then it trips on thermal overload and has to cool before it will reset and go up or down more.

Good Luck,
Michael

Quick Reply: Window motor woes:(