LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Wires with Stock Manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 08:05 PM

Exclamation Wires with Stock Manifolds

Hello all. I have a 95 Z28. I just put in new plugs, passenger side a PITA. I got all 8 plugs in and drivers side wires switched to Taylor 8mm. I wont be able to get headers till X-mas, so thats outta the question for now. What i need help on is the wires on the passenger side. I cant seem to get the old ones out to replace them. I know the way they are routed, but the AIR tube ( I think ) is too close to the part where they turn the corner of the head. Plus the stock curved holding thing near there is hard to reach. I took off the Alternator to get to plug #2, but that didnt make it any easier to see the wires and get to them. I have NO clue what to do next, and am at my wit's end. If ANYONE has replaced wires and kept them in stock locations or knows anytricks to help me, it will SOOOOOOO appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I will not go OTVC, so please nothing about that, thanks.

Cody H.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:17 PM

Re: Wires with Stock Manifolds

Unbolt alternator, then unbolt the power steering pump(2 10mm bolts), but don't take it off, just leave it hanging there so you can move it around, also unbolt the belt tensioner, two 10mm bolts and makes getting them on the opti/into the 1st loom alittle easier,but its not nesscary.

They go up, off the opti, into a loom(gotta unclip it), then into another loom behind the p/s pump(no plastic clip on this one), then they wrap around the accesory bracket in anohter loom(parallel to the fender/side of car, uncliping that ones a pain), then they run to each plug, theres another loom after the number 4 plug on the block that I use to tuck the wires away from the header.

Thats the best description I can give, good luck.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:44 PM

I thread them around the corner one wire at a time.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:19 AM

Same technique as Shoebox used here. I replaced mine by only removing the alternator, not moving the PS pump. It's a tight squeeze, but you can wiggle them through there and get them to the opti.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:32 AM

Lightbulb Re: Wires with Stock Manifolds

Thanks for the replies. When i had the alternator off, the only hard part is getting them around the corner of the bracket, where they are in an "S" shaped loom that is a few inches long. i can get the wires off on both ends, but when it comes to gettin the boot or opti end between that loom i just mentioned and the pipe i mentioned in the first post. It barely big enough for the wires to fit through. So basically in shoebox's pic of the routing where they turn the corner of the head is the hard part. I just cant seem to get either the boot or opti part through there. And i have been trying just one wire at a time. I got the 8mm wires, so i cant figure out why this is being such a struggle.

-Cody H.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:03 PM

I did mine when i changed the opti, lay under the car and feed them up to somebody who can put it on the plug, just do one at a time i didnt have to much trouble, it was alot easier with the damper off though
Old 09-23-2006, 04:01 PM

How does everyone else do it, when they do it one wire at a time. Also, can anyone identify the aliminum piping no bigger diameter then a pinky finger that runs so close to it. Is it possibly an AIR tube. I runs vertically and runs directly next to where they turn the corner of the head?