LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Wiring a fan to the TPS. How-to?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:30 PM

Re: Wiring a fan to the TPS. How-to?

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Leaf blowers make power... add some nitrous and they really pump it up.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/leaf...-pull_7514.htm

A 120V "appliance" is going to make a lot more power/move a lot more air pulling 10 amps than a 12V (or 24V) circuit pulling 10amps. And, although it seems to be disputed by some, your engine will have to work harder to turn the alternator to produce the power for the electric motor.
I have a dual rectifier 250amp alternator....power isn't an issue
Old 05-10-2011, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by ussj4brolli
I have a dual rectifier 250amp alternator....power isn't an issue
But do you understand it takes physical HP to make the electrical power? It doesn't come from thin air or the fact that it is a 250 amp alternator.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:12 PM

Question Re: Wiring a fan to the TPS. How-to?

Originally Posted by shoebox
But do you understand it takes physical HP to make the electrical power? It doesn't come from thin air or the fact that it is a 250 amp alternator.
Yeah, didnt think it was too much though. Im sure the power draw is a lot less than my two Hifonics 2100.1D`s.

Anyone have any faith in this new looking design/electric turbo? Seems like it could work. I need to get that creation for the fan speeds first.

does the sts turbo setup on ebay for 1200 seem like a bad deal? How hard are those to install?
Old 05-10-2011, 09:19 PM

ok what he is saying here is that making electriciy isn't free AND there is no 100% effcient way to make one type of energy another type.

IE making light you aren't using 100% of that electricity to make light part of it used to make that light bulb hot. The more times you convert the more times you lose. so taking engine power to make electricty to turn a turbine to make more hp is going to have a HUGE conversion loss. This is why exhaust turbo is doable. You are taking wasted energy to make more power.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:05 AM

Waiting for results...
Old 05-11-2011, 12:45 AM

States 3psi at 12v an 6 at 24v. I can do 24v if needed.
That's the deadheaded pressure. With a V8 sucking more airflow that the poor thing can make it won't make ANY boost... infact, manifold pressure (and therefore power) will drop because it's a restriction at that point.
Electric superchargers do exist by the way, but they draw hundreds of amps.

$1200 for an STS kit is very cheap. The're like $4-5K new. And just about anyone with mechanical competence can install them.

Last edited by MikeGyver; 05-11-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
That's the deadheaded pressure. With a V8 sucking more airflow that the poor thing can make it won't make ANY boost... infact, manifold pressure (and therefore power) will drop because it's a restriction at that point.
Electric superchargers do exist by the way, but they draw hundreds of amps.

$1200 for an STS kit is very cheap. The're like $4-5K new. And just about anyone with mechanical competence can install them.
2 things keeping me away of the STS, 1. I cant weld! Is there a lot needing to be welded? 2. would need to create a down-pipe and all...

On the Electric SC, i have a few friends here in Reno that know people in shops, im asking around now to see what it will cost to tyno. (car never been on one, havent get the slightest to what Im pushing as-is)

One other crazy thought, what about 2 on my SLP intake setup? :P sarcasm#

Last edited by ussj4brolli; 05-11-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:28 AM
Administrator

Keep in mind that a statement of "psi" means absolutley nothing, unless accompanied by the corresponding flow number in SCFM. As MikeGyver points out, "3psi" is meaningless all by itself.

225 amps.... that has to also supply the power to all the other electrical devices in the vehicle. Run the system short on voltage due to overload, and your fuel pump capacity starts to drop, injectors don't work right, etc.

In very general terms, it takes about 5HP to make 1psi of boost on the LT1. To make 3 psi you would need a 15HP electrical motor driving the turbine. Do you know how big a 15HP 120V motor is? Have you ever seen a 15HP 12V or 24V motor? Do you know how many amps a 15HP 12V motor will draw?
Old 05-11-2011, 09:24 AM

... http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...ger/index.html
This is the artical I was refering to.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:25 AM

It cant make any power unless one makes a alternator cut out switch and installs two of those electric turbos together with some custom y intake. And then one could only use it for it for a few mins before having to turn back on the alternator.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Red_94Formula
It cant make any power unless one makes a alternator cut out switch and installs two of those electric turbos together with some custom y intake. And then one could only use it for it for a few mins before having to turn back on the alternator.
Quick 1 min google search. http://www.google.com/m/products/det...ed=0CCoQ8wIwBA

Looks like what's attached to it really?
Old 05-11-2011, 01:58 PM

It cracks me up that you are still pursuing this idea after countless people have told you/are telling you that there is nothing to be gained.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:45 PM

The joys of advertising..."It says 3psi so it MUST give me 3 psi"

I hope you were joking when you said you would put two on the motor...

How about you send me the same amount of money and I'll make a hairdryer from Wal-mart fit your car...it will be the same result.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:00 PM

Quick 1 min google search. http://www.google.com/m/products/det...ed=0CCoQ8wIwBA

Looks like what's attached to it really?

lol you could buy 225 of those... That's a 1/15 hp motor, not 15hp.
A 15 hp 12volt motor would draw 1000 amps.

Last edited by MikeGyver; 05-11-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:09 PM

You've got pretty much the best and brightest members of this message board who have been around for years, built and seen 1000's of combinations of LTx motors, all telling you the same thing....

IT'S JUNK AND WILL NOT GIVE YOU ANY POWER!!!

It's a sales gimmick for gullible people who don't know what they're doing on automobiles. They make it believable enough for the inexperienced and uninformed to buy into it so they can make their $$.

A full STS kit doesn't require any welding if you get the whole kit. It should be pretty much bolt on.

Quick Reply: Wiring a fan to the TPS. How-to?