LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

At wits end, need help, going to sell car...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 01:44 AM

At wits end, need help, going to sell car...

Ok, I am the absolute end of my rope with the oil leak on my car. The car is a 1992 Corvette with a semi-high performance 383 in it. When I bought the car it made 370 RWHP with the LT4 hotcam, it also had a pretty good oil leak where the oil pan meets the timing chain cover. The cam was pretty undersized for a stroker, so I decided I would kill 2 birds with one stone, and replace the cam while fixing the oil leak. I started the project three weks ago today. Since then I have removed the oil pan 4 times, trying different methods ot get it to seal.

The first time I used a ton of GM gasket adhesive, with new GM gaskets. It leaked worse thean before I messed with it.

The second time I used new fel-pro gaskets with a small amount of auto parts store black RTV in the corners of the pan, and where the pan gasket starts to dip down into the "U" to mate with the timing chain cover. No RTV on the timing chain cover. the leak was considerbaly subdued, but still there.

Third time I used new Felpro gaskets from an autoparts store, and no RTV. About the same as attempt number 2, leak was smaller, but still there.

Tonight I finished install number 4. I reused the same pan gasket from fel-pro, and a new timing chain cover gasket, also fel-pro. This time I used a dab of RTV on the corners of the oil pan. The leak is the smallest its ever been, but still there. After about 10 minutes of idleing it leaves a puiddle the size of a friggen' basketball.

I used GM torque specs on everything, and on install number three made sure the pan wasn't tweaked. I also spent about an hour verifying that the pan gasket was seated properly into the timing chain cover on each install. On the 2nd install I replaced all three seals in the TC cover (crank, WP, and opti drive).

I am at my absolute wits end with this thing. I am seriously considering selling the car because of this. I know that sounds drastic, and I normally not someone to give up on something like this, but it has me 100% beat. I did everything I know how to do to make that thing seal, and it simply will not seal up. Does anyone have any advice or tips?

Thanks.
Old 11-03-2003, 03:58 AM

Man that really sucks Have you thought about trying a different oil pan? Sounds like you have tried about everything I would suggest besides the pan.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:52 AM

I'm kind of running out of money. If someone close to me had a pan I could borrow, I would try it, but I would rather not buy one in hopes of fixing my problem. I hate to buy part after part until the problem is fixed. I would kind of like to trouble shoot it first, and spend as little as possible.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:21 AM

Two things crossed my mind while reading your post.

1. Maybe the oil leak is not coming from the oil pan - but, after each attempt, the oil leak seemed to be smaller. So maybe not #1.

2. Maybe the oil pan is out of whack. The person before you may have damaged it somehow causing them to sell. So as suggested already, you may want to look into getting a new oil pan.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:11 AM

You need to be using the GM 1-piece pan gasket.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:48 AM

Have you searched the "Corvette" sites? If it is not an unusual problem then maybe they have your answer.

Otherwise, its a matter of ABC. If the parts are good and the job is good, you should not have a problem.

As someone mentioned, it may be the pan itself, expecially if you have changed everythng else.

Are all your bolts tight, i.e, not bottoming out or stripped? I would not "torque" the bolts, but just make sure that they are tight. And if it leaks, just make sure they are still tight.

I know how much of a PIA this thing can be, but I'm sure you can fix it.

Good luck.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:05 AM

Also, I notice that you mention "gaskets" but no "seal". If you have a bad timing cover seal, you will need to pull the harmonic balancer(use puller). You might be mistaking the leak source, since the oil may just be leaking onto your pan gaskets hiding the true source of the leak.

Just a thought.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:32 PM

Never mind. I see where you did replace the crank seal inside the T cover.

It's a poser alright.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:57 PM

I sent my LT1 motor (long block) to the shop to be redone and built to a 383 stroker. When it was done and I put it back in, it was leaking badly from the oil pan, in the back where it is U shaped near the tranny (6 speed). It was leaking pretty bad but not as severe as yours is. It had a steady drip..........drip......... drip to it. Anyways, I brought it to a friends shop so that we could replace the gasket. Well we replaced it and it still was dripping. We had determine that they had somehow managed to bend the oil pan during disassembly/reassembly just a little bit so that it would not seal properly. We ended up adding one new slightly larger bolt on the corner that we thought was bent a tiny little bit.

It eliminated my leak completely.

I would suggest that you try a different oil pan. Do not get a NEW 7qt. Canton pan because I have heard horror stories about them leaking. Look at a junk yard or online for one. Put a WTB request on a few forums. The pan may be bent just a little bit where it is not sealing completely.

Good luck.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by Chris 96 WS6
You need to be using the GM 1-piece pan gasket.
I tried that one first. It was something like $44 from the dealer. The fel-pro is a one piece gasket as well, and looks identical to the dealer piece. I suppose it could be my gasket.

Have you searched the "Corvette" sites? If it is not an unusual problem then maybe they have your answer.
Yes, I've got a couple good ideas from over there, but nothing astounding.

Otherwise, its a matter of ABC. If the parts are good and the job is good, you should not have a problem.
That's what I thought. I have given this thing 110% on the last 2 of the 4 installs, and it still leaks. I don't know what to do now. It is frustrating beyond measure.

As someone mentioned, it may be the pan itself, expecially if you have changed everythng else.
I put the pan on a flat surface and tried to slide a piece of paper under it between all the bolt holes. The pan wouldn't allow the paper to slide under it at any location. I kind of assumed the pan was OK after that. I guess I will start looking for an oil pan.

Are all your bolts tight, i.e, not bottoming out or stripped? I would not "torque" the bolts, but just make sure that they are tight. And if it leaks, just make sure they are still tight.
All the bolts are good. The factory spec on the pan bolt is 11 ft lbs, ao I doubt I am over tightening them.

Kepp em' coming guys.