LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Worth it, Air Foil

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 10:34 AM

Worth it, Air Foil

Saw CRT Performance LT1 Intake Elbow and Air Foil combo claiming 6-10 HP, 8-11 ft ilbs torque increase on Ebay. Anybody here try this. Is it worth it? Looking for a few more horses and more intake roar. I have the stock elbow.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by LexLT1-Z28
Saw CRT Performance LT1 Intake Elbow and Air Foil combo claiming 6-10 HP, 8-11 ft ilbs torque increase on Ebay. Anybody here try this. Is it worth it? Looking for a few more horses and more intake roar. I have the stock elbow.
Sounds a bit overstated...... here's a link to a dyno test of the airfoil. That's the only thing that picks up a little bit. The "elbow" is probably the 1LE without the silencer tube. You can find that many places for low $$$, but it isn't going to give you any HP and you won't notice much of a "roar".

http://www.ws6.com/mod-4.htm
Old 09-18-2007, 10:51 AM

The factory intake elbow is fine other then maybe plugging the silencer tube. i seriously doubt you could increase the flow over the factory intake elbow, a aftermarket intake would be a different story however they would still attach to the factory intake elbow.

The air foil is a common discussion on any lt1 forum you can do a few searches to each there is no definate answer on whether this mod yeilds a actual horsepower increase, in better terms unless its cheap save your money for something else.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:26 AM

The main benefit to the aftermarket elbow is the aluminum ones offer a more sturdy location to install a nitrous nozzle
Old 09-18-2007, 11:35 AM

i actually have the crt elbow, and while it did not increase performance.. it looks damn good (i have the black powdercoated one) i already had an airfoil when i bought the car though so i didnt bother with that
Old 09-18-2007, 11:49 AM

I've just never jumped on the airfoil bandwagon. I've yet to hear anyone say that it made any noticeable difference and I'm not going to try to fix something that isn't broken...
Old 09-18-2007, 01:13 PM

Thanks, they sell just the elbow without the airfoil. I think I'll go that route. The black powder coated is alot cheaper than the other brands and I think the black holds less heat than the chrome or polished ones that are over 100 bucks.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:41 PM

I have the CRT elbow, doesn't help performance or anything like that, but it makes looking at the engine bay from all views much nicer. It's not something someone without prior lt1 knowledge would notice, but it is so much better than the stock one. It has better looks, is more stable, and you don't have to worry about tearing it.

Also have an airfoil, got it for like 5 bucks off of here on the board, didn't notice any SOTP increase, but any bit helps.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:30 PM

i think there good for 1 or 2 horse? i saw it dynoed a while ago and made a very miniscule difference. if you plan on getting a new t.b id hold off but if you want an easy mod to do,it cant hurt. i found one in a junkyard car and took it a while ago but you see them for sale for very cheap. my friend has an extra one that im sure he'l sell for 10 dollars if your interested just pm me
Old 09-18-2007, 09:31 PM

Air foil is not worth the money. if it is free, put it on.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:45 AM

Here's my take:

Long answer:

No one seems to blink an eye spending $2,500 on heads, rockers, cam, and gaskets to pick up 75 hp. That's $33 per horsepower. You then need to spend $350 on tuning to take advantage of the power.

I spent $25 on my airfoil. Even if you only pick up 1 hp, that's $25 per hp. Optimistically, if you gain 2-4 hp like some dynos show, you're now only spending $6 - $12 per hp...a bargain if you ask me. Besides, it takes all of 5 minutes to do, and will not cause you to lose power (or torque for that matter).

Why people dismiss the little things is beyond me. I'm amazed that people will spend nearly $5,000 on the STS turbo to gain 100-125 hp, ($50 per hp) but shoot-down any thought of using nitrous (approx. $850) to gain 125 hp ($7 per hp) because "nitrous needs to be refilled and is expensive in the long-run". Do you know how many times I can refill a bottle for the $4,150 difference???

Short answer:

C'mon...you're talking about $25 here. While we're at it, this decision is right up there with "Is a K&N filter worth it?"
Old 09-19-2007, 07:50 AM

I've been needing to get an elbow also. Mine is ripped close to the TB. When you buy one from ebay, do they come with the sensor in the elbow? Is it just plug and play?

*sorry if im hijacking the thread or anything.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Roxy
The only reason it's "not worth it" to me is that you basically get an airfoil when you upgrade your throttle body anyway.

If they were seperate mods, then yeah I'd buy one.
You're reasoning is sound, but this only applies if the need for a TB exists in the first place. The stocker can flow more than enough air to support at least 400 hp. So, unless you've done some "major bolt-on" upgrade, a large TB is not only a waste of $200+, but can also hurt low end power/torque. For this reason, saving the $25 because one day, I may need a TB is like "cutting off your nose to spite your face".

If that were the case heck, I might as well not drive my car because one day it'll need to be fixed. A stretch, but still along the same lines.

If you need to justify to yourself spending $25, you probably shouldn't be modifying your car in the first place. A fanatic (like most of us are) will wash and wax the car, change the oil, and ice the intake just to squeak out a 0.1 in the 1/4 mile.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:44 PM

Whoa...let's back the car up. No insult or flame intended...my apologies if it came off that way. The replies were directed at the original poster.

My whole point is, if the original poster is struggling with trying to decide if an airfoil is worth the time and money, than no answer we can give is going to change his/her mind. For me, it's a no brainer (something I did 10 years ago).

We friends again?

Last edited by al 96 Ram Air T/A; 09-19-2007 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:23 PM

this might be in my head but i feel like after i installed my airfoil and crt elbow at the same time helped my high rpm power a little. its hard to tell though b/c the car is already quick up high

Quick Reply: Worth it, Air Foil