LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

is it worth changing ONLY the cam?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 11:32 PM

is it worth changing ONLY the cam?

i'm trying to decide whether to buy an FFI camaro SS hood or have my stock hood refinished and change the cam with the extra $300. i plan on going with a Lingenfelter cam, i believe the specs are 217/217. that's mild enough it should still run decent without tuning until the winter when i have a laptop. i was just worried about the stock valve springs and such. what do you guys think? should i just get the hood?...i'd rather GO faster than look faster
Old 08-11-2003, 11:39 PM

why not go with the hotcam kit? its only $500ish and for all the work youll be doing you sure dont want to put in a cam that wont make you proud of its performance. besides you will be forced to upgrade springs no matter what cam you choose.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by turbo_Z
why not go with the hotcam kit? its only $500ish and for all the work youll be doing you sure dont want to put in a cam that wont make you proud of its performance. besides you will be forced to upgrade springs no matter what cam you choose.
i've thought about the hotcam kit--there are even a couple used ones in the forsale section for cheap but i'm a big lingenfelter fan. next summer i'd be upgrading alot of other things, i mean i don't e ven have headers yet so i won't be seeing the full potential until i do alot of other things. i remember seeing a post a while back about a custom grind designed for a stock LT1 that put down 319rwhp i think. that is what i'm looking for except with alot of power left to unleash as i add other bolt ons and clean up the heads.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:17 AM

dont buy a cam until you have other stuff done, not worth the price

edit: get gears, and hood also
Old 08-12-2003, 07:10 AM
Banned

Originally posted by mkent
i've thought about the hotcam kit--there are even a couple used ones in the forsale section for cheap but i'm a big lingenfelter fan. next summer i'd be upgrading alot of other things, i mean i don't e ven have headers yet so i won't be seeing the full potential until i do alot of other things. i remember seeing a post a while back about a custom grind designed for a stock LT1 that put down 319rwhp i think. that is what i'm looking for except with alot of power left to unleash as i add other bolt ons and clean up the heads.
Hey, it's great that you're a fan of Lingenfelter. Join the club of the rest of us......but guess how many Lingenfelter parts I have; NONE.

When it comes to performance of your car, and spending your hard-earned money, throw the "I love you's" aside. Buy what's going to work best for you, and whatever is a quality product.

I think Lingenfelter parts are of excellent quality, but they can also be expensive just because of the Lingenfelter name.

I have an LT4 Hot Cam setup, and I'm very happy with it. Aside from the fact that it offered really good performance, I've got piece of mind that it was offered through GM (Crane makes GM's cams). I'm sure GM knows their motors better than anyone else out there on the market.

I got my LT4 HC kit for $475, plus S&H. In total I paid around $505 for mine, I believe. I got the cam, 1.6 roller rockers, valve springs, and retainers.
Old 08-12-2003, 07:34 AM

your NOT going to get a cam change done with $300. First of all if you change the cam without changing springs, your going to break your motor. The stock springs are barely adequate for the stock cam. I worked it out, and with all the stuff that goes with it (gaskets, timing chain, oil, antifreeze, etc) to change the cam in my car using the $589 cam kit from Cmotorsports, I'm looking at about $950 total if I do the work myself...thats not including nice to haves like Opti and Waterpump which would add another $300-$350 onto that. If you weren't going to do the kit, and didn't want rockers, you could probably get away with about $650 total.
Old 08-12-2003, 07:54 PM

Hey guys, I have been looking into getting the HC kit but dont have the money to do anything for heads. Will it be worth doing the cam now? Will I notice a gain with just the cam alone?

Thanks,
Rich