LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Would ethanol make my car miss?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 08:26 AM

Would ethanol make my car miss?

Got gas the other day, car was on E and stopped at a Sunoco that I'd never been to before. I always run Sunoco 94, but this place said theirs contained ethanol , which I've never used before. I didn't want to fill up on it so I only got $5 worth (like 3 gallons) to get home and havn't driven it again till today. Anyway, my car was running great up to then, just ran the time below the other week, no misses or anything. Today I go to get on it and now it's missing several times in the higher rpms I've got pcmforless hotcam tuning and he told me I need to always run 93 or better. It was cruising ok on the highway and under normal driving but with any hard acceleration it's starts missing. Could the ethanol be making it run this bad?
Old 08-14-2003, 08:29 AM

More than likely you plugged up your fuel filter and injectors if you ran your tank to empty. All the crap is in the bottom of the tank.

I run 92/94 octane ethanol blend regularly with no problems.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:37 AM

Is it possible my PCM is just trying to adjust to the different type of gas and retarding the timing? I don't know much about ethanol but as I said I've never used it before, maybe your car is used to it. I've run the car this low before without any problems like this.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by Gripenfelter
More than likely you plugged up your fuel filter and injectors if you ran your tank to empty. All the crap is in the bottom of the tank.

I run 92/94 octane ethanol blend regularly with no problems.
I never understood why people say that, logically it doesn't make any sense. Your fuel pump is in the bottom of the tank, so if you ran it low all that could happen is the fuel pump gets hot because the fuel doesn't cool it.
All the crap in the bottom can get sucked up through the pump no matter what level your fuel is at.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:30 AM

Location: Somewhere between a shotgun barrel, and a blood spatter on the wall.
Originally posted by IslandZ
I never understood why people say that, logically it doesn't make any sense. Your fuel pump is in the bottom of the tank, so if you ran it low all that could happen is the fuel pump gets hot because the fuel doesn't cool it.
All the crap in the bottom can get sucked up through the pump no matter what level your fuel is at.

tho... i think the fuel pump itself is on top
Old 08-14-2003, 10:37 AM

Ethanol naturally cleans out your fuel system. If you run non-ethanol gas for a long time and then switch to ethanol you will most likely have problems like you descibed due to the ethanol breaking lose contaminents and cleaning your fuel system. I would change your fuel filter and watch what kind of gas you get. Either use ethanol gas from now on or non-ethanol gas. Don't switch back and forth or your problem will continue. We use ethanol gas on our farm and I run it in my car. Simply the best gas you can use in my opinion. I get great gas mileage and I think I gain a few horses as well.

Bryan
Old 08-14-2003, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by ShelbyZ28
Ethanol naturally cleans out your fuel system. If you run non-ethanol gas for a long time and then switch to ethanol you will most likely have problems like you descibed due to the ethanol breaking lose contaminents and cleaning your fuel system. I would change your fuel filter and watch what kind of gas you get. Either use ethanol gas from now on or non-ethanol gas. Don't switch back and forth or your problem will continue. We use ethanol gas on our farm and I run it in my car. Simply the best gas you can use in my opinion. I get great gas mileage and I think I gain a few horses as well.

Bryan
Wow, I didn't know ethanol could do that. They ought to have a warning about that at the pump, I've never used ethanol before or seen it anywhere around here before. If using it did clog my fuel filter I'm pretty pissed, let alone my freaking injectors. I'm sure the sfuff is fine like everyone says if you use it all the time but if it loosened **** up in the bottom of my tank that's been in there for over five years now and caused this thats pretty messed up. The more I think about it I bet this is the problem. The car was way down on E when I put three gallons in it Sunday to get home then it sat until today. Plenty of time for that stuff to sit in there and loosen **** up in my tank I know a fuel filter change is no big deal but I just did it like 1k miles ago, really don't feel like doing it again because I got a simple three gallons of gas! I knew it didn't sound like a good idea to use that stuff, oh well.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:24 AM

Location: Somewhere between a shotgun barrel, and a blood spatter on the wall.
alcohol

its so versitile
Old 08-14-2003, 02:50 PM

Ethanol mixed with gas is gasohol. Gasohol is good. I use Union 76 which contains ethanol.

If you have "crap" in your fuel system, clean it out and switch to Gasahol.JMHO