LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Would people be afraid to buy a Solid roller motor LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by WS6T3RROR
it depends on if you're going to take the time to sort the car out and make it as quick as it should be. if it runs the number and you sell to a guy who is an experienced enthusiast i see no issue and in that case it'll be worth more. if you just wanna sell it to the avg joe just put a mild hydro cam in it (230ish @ .050") and call it a day.

my personal vote though put the solid roller in it and dont look back, somebody will want it. and if they're apprehensive about it run them through lashing it and show em its no big deal if they're serious about buying it.
I would def. work it all out and run a number in the car if I went that route...actually any route I went it would be worked out and running hard

Originally Posted by toby
Tim, is this steve's car your talking about? i would put your old cam in it and see how it runs. i don't think people will be scared to buy it when they see how it runs. brian
yea, its steves old car. I have the stuff to build a new 355 for it and its all lightweight stuff made to rpm. I figured with my old cam(or even his hyd roller) I could get a full weight AC car in the 10s that you can drive all weekend. I just don't want to get into something that scare people off you know.

and yes, the misconception about solid rollers with todays technology are way overblown, but I don't know how you can ever change that thought process as I've been preaching for year about how wronge the old thought process is.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Amen and amen. Solid Roller Stroker Street Motor FTMFW!
Speaking of which hows your build coming?
Old 06-14-2007, 11:05 AM

It depends. Are you planning on keeping the motor FI or are you going to carb it? Unless you plan on spinning this thing higher than the stock PCM can handle, (7,200rpm), and are going to invest in an aftermarket fuel management system that can handle the extra revs, it really doesn't make much sense to go solid roller.

Thing is, while solid roller valvetrain parts have improved since the 60's like Joe B mentioned, so have hydraulic roller's right along with it. Up until just a few years ago, the big push for going solid roller was because your power goals demanded an RPM range that was higher than what a hydraulic roller valvetrain could handle. But the market since then has upped the ante. When you look at what the LS7 engine is capable of, with a 7,000 RPM redline out of a valvetrain that the owner is never going to have to give a second thought to, (and we have yet to discover if that's only as far as it can be pushed), we see that the solid roller "performance gap" has been significantly reduced.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:01 PM

car will stay FI. There are still some advantages to going solid over hyd. even with the advancement of hyd. roller stuff these days.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by MEAN LT1
Speaking of which hows your build coming?
Slow.
I have about another 1/2 day before the engine is ready to be put into the car.
Hopefully will have it running w/in the next couple of weeks. The shop it's at is 70mi away so it's a challenge to get up there sometimes.