LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

wouldnt a misfire show on vac gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 11:00 AM

Question wouldnt a misfire show on vac gauge?

Just in the past couple days Ive been getting alot of shaking from the engine at idle and when I first let the clutch out from a dead stop. Tranny mount is brand new so thats not it and the car runs better than it ever has, no misfires all the way to 6500 rpms. I put a vac gauge on it and its at a rock steady 16 inches, no wandering at all. The only other Thats not normal is if I brake hard the engine shakes or shudders just before a complete stop.Anyone who has had a similar problem let me know were to start looking. thanks
Old 04-11-2003, 11:30 AM

Re: wouldnt a misfire show on vac gauge?

Originally posted by 97 SLP Company Car
Just in the past couple days Ive been getting alot of shaking from the engine at idle and when I first let the clutch out from a dead stop. Tranny mount is brand new so thats not it and the car runs better than it ever has, no misfires all the way to 6500 rpms. I put a vac gauge on it and its at a rock steady 16 inches, no wandering at all. The only other Thats not normal is if I brake hard the engine shakes or shudders just before a complete stop.Anyone who has had a similar problem let me know were to start looking. thanks
It sounds like your IAC needs cleaning. The Idle Air Controller meters air into the TB when you take your foot off the gas to keep the car from stalling, and keep the vacuum up to operate the brakes etc...

Its easy to get at, and there should be a pic of it on ShoeBox's website.

There is a test for the IAC if you have scanning software or a scanmaster.
Old 04-12-2003, 08:41 AM

That does seem to make alot of sense because while I was checking vac and fuel psi the iac kept clicking, which is probably normal but the car wasnt running.Thanks alot , I think this points me in the right direction because the rest of the rpm range is perfect.
Old 04-12-2003, 08:36 PM

Post update

Well I had the car scanned and it showed random misfires on different cylinders. So the advice I got was to change the plugs since they had about 30,000 on them. After 3hrs doing that, NO change, and the plugs I took out looked perfect Not one looked different from the other. Tommorow Ill look at iac , Although the guy that scanned my car knows more about these cars than I do seems to think its ignition related not the opti but icm since it runs fine through mid to wot.Anyone go through this and solve it without going broke?
Old 04-13-2003, 07:29 PM

Well Im gonna keep updating this till I figure it out or go broke or ged rid of this pos. I cleaned iac, cleaned small amount of grime off maf from k/n oil check all sensor conn,check all plug wires. Still has random misfires but throttle respone is perfect, goes sideways from a roll in first and rips in every other gear. Its only when theres no load on it you can hear and feel missing. Somebody has to have had this, what else to test before I keep throwing parts at it?